Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 720960 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This version features audio of one of her comments about DS:

Chloe Moretz Steps Into The Shadows For Director Tim Burton

213 days 11 hours 14 minutes 20 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
Like most others, I get nervous whenever I see the film described as funny, campy, or humorous.  However, I have a question about fandom.  

Let's assume for a moment that the film acutally is largely campy and comedic.  Let's also assume the film is a huge hit.  That would likely mean thousand of new DS fans will join our community (meaning DS fandom in general).  However, in this senario, the new fans will actually love -- even celebrate -- the comedic and campy elements of Dark Shadows, while most old-timers (like myself) appreciate the show's serious horror tone.   What will that mean to DS fandom?  Would we split into two camps?  What would happen on this board, for example, if we were suddenly invaded by dozens of young fans who laugh at DS and revel in the film's campiness?

Realizing this is all hypothetical, it is a real possibility.  I'm just curious how traditional DS fandom would respond to a situation such as this one.

A terrible and bloody "era war" would surely break out in the fandom.  I shudder to think of the consequences ;)!

I sincerely hope the movie isn't "funny."  I get a bit antsy when I read comments about the film being part comedy.   Yes, the original DS had funny moments (Carl and Pansy anyone?) but that type of humor was in context and fit the tone of the show.  I doubt they'll set out to make the new movie a comedy.  I suspect the humor we'll see will come from some of the strange situations and will probably consist of some brief "gallows humor" moments.  At least I hope that's what they mean when they say it's "funny."
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
digressing a bit to the film's production costs today 'perez hilton' listed hollywood's ten figure earners...

guess who topped the list? although exact numbers were not given out let's assume depp takes home 15-20 million per movie. that alone would eat up over half the film's total budget if the 35 million dollar figure were accurate. i'll bet pfieffer is closing in on 10 mil or so as well.

so the total production costs here have got to be pretty stratospheric.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
OMG!  I am so sorry guys I have been away so long!  I felt drawn to the cover of ET while I was up at my grandmothers.  I didn't even know it had the first look at DS!  So I bought and got it home and I was quite surprised!  I am OVER THE TOP thrilled.  I think they have nailed the weird vibe that DS had.  It comes across in the new cast photo!  I love how they based it on the old cast photo! I take back what I said about Helena! She and Johnny look more like the original actors than any of them. Helena is even wearing the same type of nail polish Grayson wore! KUDOS to her for her research!   And  Eva Green has got a a great Lara Parker type stare going on!  I just think everyone looks AMAZING!  I for one am no longer worried! I think they have gotten the tone down perfect!!! YAY! SO EXCITED! And I absolutely am in love with Michelle P. She looks goregous in that black outfit with the Eagle belt.  I am so glad that the show is set in the 70's!  I love the 90's show, but I think DS works better in the 70's!  I CANNOT WAIT!   SO SO HAPPY!  I HAVE NO DOUBT this movie is going to be amazing!!! [bonny_hand]

I have been really sick for the last month guys! I have missed you all but I am back now!

Shows are still drawing inspiration from DS. [spoiler]Supernatural has the OLD ONES on it this season and they are referred to as LEVIATHANS!  SO COOL!!!![/spoiler]
I have missed you guys!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Nelson, I have been around the fandom for over 20 years many fans already embrace the show the way you are wording it below.  I take it that you have not been to a festival and seen any of the hilarious skits that celebrate the campiness of the show and its other elements.  Many fans are devoted to blooper-watching and still search for un-discovered bloopers!  The fandom you worry about existing was born a long time ago though I don't think these fans think they are laughing at the show but rather with the show.  They enjoy campiness and love DS.  There are many DS fans who take the show more seriously and don't get the fascination with bloopers, (I'm in that camp, pardon the pun) however, fans in both "camps" have co-existed quite well for all the time I've been around.   I have had fans at festivals and in other venues tell me they see DS as a comedy.  In fact, some mainstream publications over the years have called DS "a comedy."  

The two huge influxes into fandom since the original series aired - the 1990 Revival series and the SyFy syndication of the original saw all types of new fans with varying sensibilities about DS.  We all adjusted then and we will adjust again with the influx of new fans from the new DS movie.  I don't see any new fans who think DS is a hoot will disrupt anything.

Nancy

However, in this senario, the new fans will actually love -- even celebrate -- the comedic and campy elements of Dark Shadows, while most old-timers (like myself) appreciate the show's serious horror tone.   What will that mean to DS fandom?  Would we split into two camps?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Three possible sources of new info:

Depp has a cover story in the new issue of Vanity Fair, which I believe comes out today.

Michelle Pfeiffer has an interview (also a cover IF you happen to catch the right issue because there are multiple covers) in the new ELLE - not sure if that's out already or not.

And Depp is apparently going to appear with Larry King on CNN on the 16th.

Though, of course, all or none could potentially have info about DS as Depp is mostly promoting The Rum Diary and I'm not sure what Pfeiffer's interview is about...

212 days 9 hours 54 minutes 41 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I will fling items at the TV screen if that is the case!! [hall_angry]

Though, of course, all or none could potentially have info about DS as Depp is mostly promoting The Rum Diary and I'm not sure what Pfeiffer's interview is about...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I didn't receive this week's issue of Entertainment Weekly until today (I was having my roof reshingled and apparently the old Post Office motto: "Neither rain, nor sleet, nor snow, nor gloom of night shall keep the postman from his appointed rounds" doesn't hold true any more because my mail wasn't delivered for three days while that was being done - though I suppose reshingling isn't actually mentioned in the motto [hall2_wink]), and as no one else has posted it, here's a letter written in response to the DS artilcle:

Fangs for the Memories

When I was a kid, it was a must that I would makie it home in time from school to watch Dark Shadows. Anytime I was being punished, my mom wouldn't ground me; she would just take away my favorite show. I cannot wait to see Tim Burton's version, and Johnny Depp makes a perfect Barnabas Collins.

SHARON HOULE
Waterville, Maine

212 days 9 hours 20 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Nancy, you've made many good points about blooper/skit fans and serious fans- thanks for your thoughtful post.  While waiting for the film, a number of folks from the Depp forums who were previously unfamiliar with DS have started watching via Netflix or Youtube, and many have expressed newfound respect for the show.  So regardless of how the film comes out, I think there are a lot of folks out there who have open minds and are interested in exploring the original series for what it was.

As far as Vanity Fair- I saw some scans a few days ago and just found it yesterday at Barnes & Noble (I'm in the DC area, so it may not have hit smaller cities yet).  There is really  no talk about DS, I'm afraid-  it is just mentioned as a current project, and the long hours Johnny was spending on the set (and going out drinking and gambling with the VF interviewer on a work night, much to the chagrin of some fans).  

Hopefully there will be some DS mentions in the Larry King interview, ditto the upcoming Rum Diary premiere and several college screenings for that film, and ditto any other Rum Diary press or interviews that come up (we haven't heard yet about a Rolling Stone interview, but since The Rum Diary's author, Hunter S. Thompson, was a major fixture in the Rolling Stone community for many years, it stands to reason that they will do one).  However, since The Rum Diary was an especially personal project for Johnny, and since Hunter was such a close personal friend, there may be more emphasis on it and less on other projects than usual (though I hope he will indeed touch upon DS, since of course DS was a personal project for him too!)  We'll see what the next couple of weeks bring!

And thanks MB for the tip on the Pfeiffer interview!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
Larry King Special interview with a Vampire
« Reply #1389 on: October 11, 2011, 09:42:07 PM »
Larry King Tweeted "Excited to announce my next special: an interview with Johnny Depp! Airs Sunday, 10/16 at 8pmET/5pmPT. " on CNN
http://twitter.com/kingsthings/status/123778597243727872/photo/1
http://www.cnn.com/SPECIALS/2011/larryking/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks for providing us with the time, LdyAnne.  [hall2_smiley]

212 days 7 hours 13 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
A bunch of twitter posts point out that Johnny's been doing a bunch of interviews today, so again, while The Rum Diary may be the main focus, cross your fingers for some DS content as well!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Let's derfinitely hope so.  [hall2_smiley]

Speaking of Twitter, I've only been checking it out about once a day since shooting wrapped, so I just discovered this:

bobwood32 Robert Wood
Been working pinewood on DARKSHADOWS film next week start again 007 yeah yeah.
19 hours ago

Which lead me to this:

bobwood32
Ohhhhh yes. http://yfrog.com/o098tozj
15 hours ago

I wonder if that's the official logo or if it was just for the wrap party ticket? Like many things, time will tell...

212 days 0 hours 33 minutes 32 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
That is the same image used throughout production.  It appeared on Frid's name "plaque" when he was on set.  It would not surprise me if this is, indeed, the official logo.

After all of the excitement about THE AVENGERS trailer, I wonder if DS will have trouble toppling that at the Box Office.  I doubt there will be any worry from the other May 12 releases, but it could have some trouble following that film.  Then again, Superhero films, over all, have not been doing all that well, but there are some pretty hefty properties in this one...  Let's just hope it doesn't affect DS's numbers.  Then again, I think DS has a more diverse audience...  We will see. 

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That is the same image used throughout production.  It appeared on Frid's name "plaque" when he was on set.  It would not surprise me if this is, indeed, the official logo.

That's right. I forgot all about that. But I do remember you saying you wish there had been a higher resolutions shot of the logo so you could inspect it better. Well, you've gotten your wish.  [hall2_wink]

After all of the excitement about THE AVENGERS trailer, I wonder if DS will have trouble toppling that at the Box Office.  I doubt there will be any worry from the other May 12 releases, but it could have some trouble following that film.  Then again, Superhero films, over all, have not been doing all that well, but there are some pretty hefty properties in this one...  Let's just hope it doesn't affect DS's numbers.  Then again, I think DS has a more diverse audience...  We will see.

There's probably some crossover audience so far as the two films go, but for the most part I suspect the Depp/DS film might have more appeal to a different audience than The Avengers. Though if the economy doesn't improve some by next May, neither film may be making much money because it seems like every week lately the bar becomes lower and lower for what sort of box office take makes for a successful opening and a successful film overall. Though that could also be due to the types of films that are currently opening. It'll be very interesting to see how big the holiday films open once we get to the Thanksgiving/Christmas season...

212 days 0 hours 14 minutes 1 second until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!