Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 716544 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Christopher Lee will be playing Bill Malloy according to imdb. Hope this isn't old news.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
MALLOY!

good grief.

the casting of such an obscure, early character...long dead and forgotten by the time that bejeweled hand reached out of the coffin...is definitely a wink-and-a-nod acknowledgment to the fans. a bit of an "inside" joke if you will.

i like it. [hall2_tongue]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
in fact i'll bet that now that the film has gone into the studio for post-production we will see and hear virtually nothing for the next several months

It would be nice to think that something along the lines of those promised "surprises" will actually come out of the Hermes Panel at NYCC, possibly even a clip from the film - but I won't be holding my breath.

215 days 2 hours 26 minutes 18 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Christopher Lee will be playing Bill Malloy according to imdb. Hope this isn't old news.

After the Empire article there was speculation that he would be playing Bill Malloy. But the listing on IMDb is the first somewhat official place that's come out and identified his role as such. Thanks for the heads up.  [hall2_smiley]

And speaking of IMDb, I've just noticed that the main cast is no longer being listed according to their MOVIEmeter rankings. I don't know how true it is, but I did read on IMDb that once a film finishes shooting and billing has been set, the IMDb cast listings reflect the official billing. IF that is true, then it seems as billing will be somewhat different from what we'd expected and might possibly be something like this:

Johnny Depp  Eva Green  Michelle Pfeiffer

Dark Shadows

Jonny Lee Miller  Chloë Grace Moretz  Gulliver McGrath

with

Helena Bonham Carter  Jackie Earle Haley

and

Bella Heathcote

Thomas McDonell seems to have been demoted down to the costarring section. But then, presumably he will only have a small part...

215 days 2 hours 17 minutes 54 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
i haven't checked the IMDb listing in awhile...

strange that the mrs.johnson casting is not listed since the actress/character was in the "official" cast photograph in EW. i gather it's a very small part but then i'm sure so is "dock worker" or "slow dancer" or any of the other bit parts listed.

also not a peep about that rumored megan fox appearance either. was that just a complete fabrication?

frid, selby, scott and parker's characters are not identified in any way. this sort of gives futher credence to the idea that they will just be members of a crowd scene.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
strange that the mrs.johnson casting is not listed since the actress/character was in the "official" cast photograph in EW. i gather it's a very small part but then i'm sure so is "dock worker" or "slow dancer" or any of the other bit parts listed.

It IS strange that she's not listed. Apparently no one has thought to add her.

also not a peep about that rumored megan fox appearance either. was that just a complete fabrication?

I'm thinking that's exactly what it was. Even the person who reported it wasn't sure it had much validity.

frid, selby, scott and parker's characters are not identified in any way. this sort of gives futher credence to the idea that they will just be members of a crowd scene.

It's certainly interesting that Selby and Alice Cooper describe their cameos in basically the same way, as in blink and you'll miss them. And according to what was being tweeted at the time, they were on set very close to same time, which also happened to be about the same time the masquerade was being shot.

215 days 1 hour 40 minutes 24 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I have a strange feeling we may be seeing a poster sooner than later. 

David

[female_skull]

this thread title should maybe be changed to post-production!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Until the final edit is complete, production is still production, post or otherwise.  [hall2_wink]  And given the way the test screening process works, who knows when the final edit might actually be completed. That's basically why when I started this topic I said it woild carry us through shooting, post-production, and the run-up to release.  [hall2_smiley]

215 days 1 hour 18 minutes 27 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Like most others, I get nervous whenever I see the film described as funny, campy, or humorous.  However, I have a question about fandom. 

Let's assume for a moment that the film acutally is largely campy and comedic.  Let's also assume the film is a huge hit.  That would likely mean thousand of new DS fans will join our community (meaning DS fandom in general).  However, in this senario, the new fans will actually love -- even celebrate -- the comedic and campy elements of Dark Shadows, while most old-timers (like myself) appreciate the show's serious horror tone.   What will that mean to DS fandom?  Would we split into two camps?  What would happen on this board, for example, if we were suddenly invaded by dozens of young fans who laugh at DS and revel in the film's campiness?

Realizing this is all hypothetical, it is a real possibility.  I'm just curious how traditional DS fandom would respond to a situation such as this one.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
interesting question...

however there is a vast difference between a film being a huge, even colossal "hit"(which depp/burton collaborations tend to be)and fandom.

most single installment films, as opposed to series or trilogies, do not inspire highly devotional fanbases and message boards and yearly conventions no matter how "successful" they are. it's a different level of passion and commitment. and as of now this is just a single installment film. we've heard nothing to imply sequels other than fan speculation.

and even if one enjoys this film tremendously it will take an entirely different level of commitment to sit down and follow a 1200+ episode serialized program. there might not be as much crossover as we think.

so even if the board does receive a flood of new members in the film's immediate aftermath the sort of daily touchstone many of us use it as might not happen.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Actually, the possibility of a franchise has been mentioned at least four times in some official way or another. One of the producers (I believe it was Richard Zanuck) mentioned it a few years back. A spokesperson for Depp's production company also mentioned it around the same time. Earlier this year Variety mentioned that Warner Brothers is hoping for a franchise. And Jim Pierson mentioned the same a few months back. But, of course, hopes completely hinge on how well this current film does and how willing everyone concerned is in doing more, so your point regarding single installment films is still very much a valid one.

214 days 11 hours 55 minutes 50 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
    • View Profile
whether or not this ends up being a single-installment film or a series i guess isn't really what i was trying to say...

just that fandom, as opposed to a hit film or film series, are sort of different animals entirely.

there are lots of very successful films and film series that do not inspire fandoms. most in fact. so no matter how well this does it might not translate into it's own fandom. "we" will absorb it into the DS universe but it might not get it's own self-contained following.

does that make sense? [hall2_undecided]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It definitely makes sense.  [hall2_smiley]  And it's certainly going to be interesting to see what happens, both in terms of a possible franchise and how the current and any potential future film(s) affect fandom...

214 days 11 hours 39 minutes 16 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Given that the placement of the characters in the photo indicates in many instances some sort of relationship that they share with an adjacent character, I'm wondering if there's any significance to Angelique being placed so close to Carolyn?

This new interview would seem to indicate that there just might be some significance:

Chloe Moretz Talks Texas Killing Fields, Dark Shadows, & on being a vampire

214 days 9 hours 21 minutes 36 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!