Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 719624 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I know I'm not the only one who chose not to read those descriptions in the article, but just looked at the photo.  And it seemed as if people were putting that information in tags on previous pages.  Anyway, it was a spoiler for me.  I don't mean to sound confrontational, but it was.

Point taken.  I'm aware that there are a few instances when spoiler tags were used since the article came out, done at the poster's discretion, but that hasn't always been the case-- there's an earlier post about Barnabas' release that wasn't treated as a spoiler.  MB and I feel it's better to be safe than sorry, so we don't discourage using spoiler tags, but as for hiding all officially released info about the movie, I don't feel we can possibly know for sure what photos are being seen or not being seen by individuals, or what articles, blogs, status updates and tweets that contain official info about the movie are being read by visitors here and which of these are being skipped.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I find it strange, and hard to understand, why they would choose to try and look like original cast members when they don't want to follow the original story closer.
Because they disagree with you about it?  A snarky answer I know, but then wasn't your comment at least as much?  If the movie sounds like it just isn't your cup of tea, yeah fine.  "Different strokes" and all that.  But it sure sounds like you're expressing bafflement how anyone could have an opinion other than your own on the subject.

(And mind--you're nothing at all like certain folks on FB who're insisting no "true fan" of the show would even consider watching this movie or any other version etc. etc. etc.  and who harp about all sorts of things about the movie they don't even know, because no one does!  Don't want to tar you with their brush, or seem as if I were.)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I can kinda understand making some changes to the story. I don't think anyone wants to walk in knowing everything that's going to happen. I think we all want it to feel fresh. Some of my favorite remakes are very different from the originals. "The Maltese Falcon" with Bogart was the third time around for that story but who even remembers who played in the first two? Others remakes that are favorites of mine are "The Thing" and "The Fly". I don't think it's better but "The Magnificent Seven" is at least as good as the original and it's very different from "The Seven Samurai".

This could end up be as good as any of those remakes. I'd be susprised by that but it could happen.

I just don't understand why they would want to copy the look of the original cast as much as they have. HBC and JD look like they're wearing Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall costumes. That just seems a bit odd. I just think Barnabas should look like Johnny Depp, not Johnny Depp as Jonathan Frid playing Barnabas.
May you die before you want too.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
This is just my opinion but I believe that if it's closed minded to dislike or put down a movie someone has never seen, it should also be closed minded to like or promote a movie someone has never seen. Both are examples of acting on something based on little or no information. Both are jumping to conclusions. Both are wrong. In my opinion.

no one here is "promoting" this movie. we're excited about it. you're not. you've made that abundantly clear. we get it.

again, you're relentless negativity about this project have totally brought down the tone of the board. in fact your distrust of it is beginning to border on obsessive paranoia.

i'm always polite and nonconfrontational at this board but i dread coming to this topic because i know it will littered with your complaints. so now your going to complain that depp and carter look "too much" like the original actors? i thought your fears were that this wasn't going to follow the original closely enough. you're impossible to satisfy.

besides i thought you "no longer cared" or were interested in this project. so why are you still complaining about it daily?

i'm curious. are you going to spend the next eight months until this is released nitpicking it to death or are you going to move on to healthier pursuits? some of us are looking forward to it.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Michael C - I did say that I didn't care but that's a hard thing to do. After all I've been a fan of DS for most of my life.

I'm excited at times about the movie and at other times I worry about it. I'm a movie fan and I've been one long enough to know that about 99.9% of remakes are extremely bad. I've seen the remakes that Tim Burton has made and none of them, in my opinion are very good. I've read the only book that the screen writer has written on his own and I didn't care for it. The only reason I read it was the fact that he wrote the screenplay for this movie. His writing style is what I don't like and I'm hoping we get none of it in the movie.

I'm hoping this is going to be a great movie, I just think the odds are against it. I think the odds are against any and every remake.

I don't trust or distrust anyone working on this film, I don't know them.

Obsessive? Maybe, it's Dark Shadows, I'm a bit obsessive about everything Dark Shadows. I'd say anyone that comes here daily to read tweets from people they don't know about a movie based on a show that has been off the air as long as DS has is a bit obsessive.

Paranoia? I don't think so. I'm 100% sure they are making the movie they want to make. It has nothing to do with what I want, like or dislike and I'm ok with that. That's there right. Just as it's my right to like to movie or not like their movie. I hope that in the end I'll love it.

I'm not posting what I post to cause you to dread coming here. Like everyone that comes here I'm posting my feelings about what I read and see with regards to this movie. I can't change those feelings, they are what they are.

If you'd like me to leave, say so. If enough join you I will.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I doubt anyone would like you to leave, borgosi.  [ghost_smiley]

And as for tweets, here are two from Bella Heathcote. Or perhaps not from her. Who knows?  [ghost_wink]

Bella_Heathcote Bella Heathcote
Rising stars http://fb.me/Ak7O76Bs
3 hours ago

She's #3. And:

Bella_Heathcote
Happy Sunday .. Still in London
1 hour ago

228 days 11 hours 47 minutes 56 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The results of this poll are interesting considering the majority of the time it was being conducted was before the official cast photo surfaced on EW.com:

Readers weigh in on Tim Burton's 'Dark Shadows' adaptation and pre-game party spots

But then it was conducted by a newspaper...

228 days 11 hours 34 minutes 34 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

David

I forgot where I saw it, but there was a report last week which stated that all the same named remakes, one after the other, were turning off movie goers, more of whom are staying home.
I sure hope that doesn't affect Depp Shadows!

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
All DS fans have their favorites and not-so-faves.  The original series, the books, the comic books (both lines), the 91 Revival, the Off Broadway play, the audio dramas, the WB Pilot, the first two movies, etc.  Methinks there's plenty of room for criticism as well as praise with all of the above.  We can certainly debate stuff like that.  Should debate it.  As long as folks show each other respect (none of this "you're not a true fan!" nonsense) and post politely, not harping on stuff and maybe forgiving each other for creating the wrong impression every now and then--we should all continue enjoying Dark Shadows, yes?

After all, we each of us already know what happens when you start a witch hunt!  Look at poor Phyllis Wick!   [ghost_sad]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Very, very true.

I wonder if we will see a trailer on the SCREAM AWARDS? I think I'm gonna record it just in case.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This is a very interesting addition to the cast list on IMDb:

Alexia Osborne ... Young Victoria Winters

Let the speculation begin!  [ghost_wink]

228 days 4 hours 51 minutes 9 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
stunning development!

we know that "young barnabas" is part of the 18th century sequence but how does a young victoria factor in??? a flashback to the 1950's?

i was just wondering what this victoria's background was since i don't think we've heard the "orphan" word in any of the published character descriptions. is she from collinsport? is the hammond foundling home to make an appearance?

wow. [ghost_shocked]
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

[ghost_shocked]

What in the world is a "real" DS fan, as opposed to a fake fan?
If you like any incarnation of DS, you are a DS fan.
End of story.

ClaudeNorth

I just don't understand why they would want to copy the look of the original cast as much as they have. HBC and JD look like they're wearing Jonathan Frid and Grayson Hall costumes.

Not every character is a direct copy of the original -- there has been much discussion on the blonde-ness of the new cast.  In the case of Barnabas, Frid's look was truly iconic, from the Inverness cape to the wolf's head cane to the Barna-Bangs.  Because this movie is inspired by the original series (in the vein of the ADDAMS FAMILY movies), and not a 2.0 type of reworking (which I consider the 2004 pilot to be), I think it makes sense to retain the classic Barnabas look.  As for Julia, I feel that Grayson Hall made such an impact as, and contributed so much to the development of, Julia Hoffman that Grayson's look is forever entwined with Julia.  I know that when I think of Julia Hoffman, I think of the red hair, the imperious manner, and overall style.

My excitement has not diminished since first seeing the photo.  Knowing that Burton and Depp are both longtime DS fans makes me very optimistic.  In the print edition of Entertainment Weekly, Burton said that when casting this movie, he asked himself the same question about each actor:  "Is this person DARK SHADOWS?"  That's the sort of question only a true fan could ask, because only a true fan is tuned into the show's unique vibe and would know to ask that question.  So, I'll be counting down the days along with the banner on the forum.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
That are those who don't believe that anyone other than JF should play Barnabas, I'm sure say the samething about other characters. I think that Depp looking like JF will just add to that anti-Depp as Barnabas fire. I'm feel sure everyone here has seen the Depp as Barnabas art work that has been sold on t-shirts. I love that look. I'm all for the cape and cane. Barnabas should have those just as Dracula should have his cape. In the same way that Lee made Dracula his, I'd like to see Depp try to make Barnabas his. I feel that way about every character in every film. I really don't want the story of Barnabas to change but I think Burton and Co. should make this their movie in the same way that Hammer made Dracula, Frankenstein, The Mummy, and The Wolfman theirs.

It isn't a make or break thing with me. As long as the story works and is told well it doesn't matter what they look like.