Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717160 times)

Offline Nicky

• Full Poster
  • It will be as if you are dead..I promised you that
    • View Profile
I thought of Edward Gorey too, which made me more excited than I already was.  I think if I were doing DS, it would look like this (though Ang -- and will she be Cassandra in the present day? -- would be in a sleeveless green-mini or a crimson trapeze dress instead of a 70s power suit, but then again, the power suit sorta rocks all on its own ...)
"And the dark and terrifying thing you find there will turn your blood to ice!"

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: (**CAN IT REALLY BE?! Reply #1010**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1216 on: September 23, 2011, 07:44:28 PM »
The publicity certainly would not have done them any harm.  The "WTF" effect sparked curiousity.

Definitely - just looked at how far up the film jumped on IMDb's MOVIEmeter because of the hubbub. And as I said the other day, several horror/entertainment Web sites and tweets on Twitter offered the opinion last week that thanks to all the attention, both pro and con, that those pics generated, a lot of people who had never even heard that they're making a DS film became well aware of it, which was probably more publicity than WB and Burton & Co. could have bought if they'd tried. And now that it has indeed turned out that Depp's actual look as Barnabas doesn't look like those paparazzi pics, all the negative talk the pics generated isn't going to matter one iota- especially when so many of the horror/entertainment Web sites that led the negative charge have backtracked and graciously admitted they were wrong to jump the gun.

230 days 9 hours 15 minutes 32 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: (**CAN IT REALLY BE?! Reply #1010**) Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!
« Reply #1217 on: September 23, 2011, 08:03:56 PM »
I admire that, especially since I had given them more credit for knowing more about how production works than they obviously do.  In the end, the frenzy didn't hurt anyone - in fact, it helped with publicity.

Nancy  

And now that it has indeed turned out that Depp's actual look as Barnabas doesn't look like those paparazzi pics, all the negative talk the pics generated isn't going to matter one iota- especially when so many of the horror/entertainment Web sites that led the negative charge have backtracked and graciously admitted they were wrong to jump the gun.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Finally getting around to catch up on Twitter today. Here's one from Chloe Moretz' brother that's almost a day old:

TrevorDMoretz trevor duke moretz
What did everyone think of the sneak peek at #darkshadowsthemovie? Been waiting for u guys to c that pic, was freaking out when they took it
21 hours ago

I checked Twitter at least a couple times yesterday after that had been tweeted, but it never came up in the search. But then, we know how that happens...

As to the response to the photo, it's been overwhelmingly positive with far, far too many great tweets to ever post here. I did come across one odd one, though - someone who wondered why Hannah Murray isn't in the photo. Obviously that person didn't read the EW article or they would have known that the photo was taken long before she was even cast. And, well, there's also the fact that she's only playing a small part. Though that being said, that didn't stop Hope North from getting a great deal of exposure when it came to the '91 Series. Her photo of Ben Cross' Barn attacking her character Gloria was plastered in practically every article about the '91 Series back in '90. So, maybe the tweeter's question isn't quite as far out as it might seem.  [ghost_nowink]

Also I thought that maybe there might be a tweet about DS wrapping shooting, but I didn't see anything. So, perhaps that means they will indeed still be shooting next week...

230 days 6 hours 18 minutes 47 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: September 23, 2011, 10:45:02 PM »
I admire that, especially since I had given them more credit for knowing more about how production works than they obviously do.

One would definitely think that - especially a place like the MTV site - but their criticism was unexpectedly brutal last week. But thankfully they're one of the more prominent Web sites that have definitely come around and admitted they were wrong:

Johnny Depp Looks Perfect In 'Dark Shadows' Official Photo

In the end, the frenzy didn't hurt anyone - in fact, it helped with publicity.

Exactly.

230 days 6 hours 14 minutes 58 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
I'm convinced the whole scene with Victoria walking with Barnabas on the beach was a huge publicity stunt to get people talking.  What a relief that BC is much more presentable and I can now breathe a sigh of relief.  Looking at Liz, I have to say that her look, hairstyle and dress, are definitely spot on for the early 70's.  I too don't see the Addams Family in the portrait.  My mom used to collect Edward Gorey and Chas Addams from the New Yorker and I see no resemblance there either.  I love Roger's look.  I'm glad they got the '70's' look great for Roger.  I'm reserving judgement on HBC's look.  She certainly has the haughty stare down pat. Everyone is a buzz over here about these latest developments and pictures.  [ghost_smiley]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Good to see DS in Yahoo's top ten Trending topics right now.
TRENDING NOW1.Ashley Judd
2.Chelsea Clinton
3.Taylor Lautner
4.Amanda Knox
5.Android tablets
6.Whitney Cummings
7.Dark Shadows
8.Morgan Freeman
9.Fort Bragg
10.Inhalers

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
i doubt last weeks pix were a publicity stunt.

i'll bet either depp was made up the way he was because for that particular scene/period in the movie barnabas is unable to appear during the day/in the sun without being heavily covered up(as has been suggested early in dr.hoffman's treatments)or, as others have suggested, the film is being shot/lit/diffused in a way that will make it much less severe onscreen.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
If Willie doesn't free Barnabas from his coffin it would be a very different scene or scenes of him as he discovers the changes that taken place over the years. Does he just wander the streets of Collinsport as he discovers things like cars and lights? In my minds eyes I can't see that as anything other than very comical. I hope it isn't.
May you die before you want too.

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I'm wondering if even if construction crews uncover where Barnabas is, if Willie isn't the one that releases him?

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if even...

If this is a spoiler from released information, please tag it.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
The first part of arashi's post is a detail from the character descriptions in the published article that provided our first look at the official cast photo in this topic, so it's not a spoiler.  The second part is her speculation.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
After viewing this photo and reading the article, I think we can all take away a great deal about these characters from the descriptions, and just by their appearances and expressions in the picture.  So which actors and characterizations are you most interested in seeing?

For me personally, Michelle Pfeiffer's Elizabeth Collins Stoddard is probably the character I am most excited about.  As many of you know, I love Liz and thought Joan Bennett was exceptional in the role.  Michelle Pfeiffer seems to have it down pat, and the character description really makes her sound very true to the original.  It will be so refreshing to finally get to see Liz have an extensive amount of screentime again - and I am assuming she will by her placement in the photo and by what is written in the article.  I am just hoping that she doesn't become a victim of anyone's spells.   [ghost_wink]  And I hope that she survives the movie.  (Assuming we get sequels,) Where would the Collins family be without Elizabeth Collins Stoddard?

Because of their uncanny resemblances to Frid and Hall, I am also excited to see Depp's Barnabas and HBC's Dr. Hoffman.  And Jonny Lee Miller's Roger Collins looks like he could revive all of the greatness of Louis Edmonds, especially the early Roger Collins character!  Needless to say, my excitement for this film skyrocketed after seeing this picture.  So, what are everyone else's hopes and expectations for these characters?

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
The first part of arashi's post is a detail from the character descriptions in the published article that provided our first look at the official cast photo in this topic, so it's not a spoiler.  The second part is her speculation.

I know I'm not the only one who chose not to read those descriptions in the article, but just looked at the photo.  And it seemed as if people were putting that information in tags on previous pages.  Anyway, it was a spoiler for me.  I don't mean to sound confrontational, but it was. 
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I find it strange, and hard to understand, why they would choose to try and look like original cast members when they don't want to follow the original story closer.

For the record, I never asked for a new Barnabas story. I was happy with it as it was.
May you die before you want too.