Author Topic: Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!  (Read 717142 times)

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
[spoiler]Had a thought - perhaps the original cast will show up as some of those dead people David sees. That would be awesome.[/spoiler]

The photo looks GREAT! Wish there was a bigger resolution, I immediately made it my desktop.

I can't wait to see this!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That's what I thought of as well.

The similarities between the photos are striking - especially the placement of Liz, Roger and Barnabas. Jonny Lee Miller is practically channeling Louis Edmonds. And it would be fascinating to know if he'd ever seen any of the versions of the 1967 cast photo before posing.

231 days 10 hours 10 minutes 6 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
HBC's wig is an awful color. But Jonny Lee Miller looks great. JD looks like he's twelve and playing dress-up. Michelle Pfeiffer looks good, but where are her pearls? I'm having a hard time dealing with the new Willie Loomis.

Oh, well, I supposed I'll get used to it all eventually....

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
I love your comment about Johnny Depp, and I have to agree.  I have not gotten a look for him in my head yet - what I think he should look like.  He does look like Baby Barnabas here.  

I'm curious to see how Julia's hair color plays on the screen - less harsh, I hope.  The new Willie Loomis looks like a sheepherder from the hills of Albania.

JD looks like he's twelve and playing dress-up.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Um, well, I didn't say that about another cousin here . . . please re-read my post. [ghost_embarrassed]

I don't know how a cousin here can say another cousin is closed minded-very condescending and assuming imo

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I immediately made it my desktop.

I have as well. It replaces a desktop I'd made up of photos of the two versions of the exterior Collinwood set and non-DS photos of the cast. (But then, there aren't any individual photos of the cast yet.  [ghost_wink])

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
I can't wait until the individual cast photos start being released!

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
JD looks like he's twelve and playing dress-up.

That was exactly my thought - "Johnny Depp dressed as an 11 year-old dressed as Jonathan Frid playing Barnabas Collins."
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Nancy I don't think I misunderstood you at all and it did seem to be directed at another cousin but if I misunderstood your intentions I offer my apologies.

The writer of this article may have a point. http://screenrant.com/dark-shadows-cast-image-johnny-depp-sandy-132957/

Offline DarkLady

• DSF God
    • View Profile
Regarding Nancy's comments:

Baby Barnabas and the hills of Albania--now there's the makings of a story line!  [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_cheesy] [ghost_cheesy]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
The writer of this article may have a point.

Well, he's not saying anything that we, other DS sites, blog writers, and several tweets on Twitter didn't try to stress throughout all of last week's melee.  [ghost_smiley]

And speaking of Twitter, I see that in the last three hours 881 tweets have been made about "Dark Shadows" (as opposed to "#DarkShadows," which as I've mentioned before, so few people use even though they should - and I haven't even checked those yet). Most are about the official photo. And many people who were critical last week are now retracking their fears and expressing their love for the photo.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I think the basis for the melee was highly justified. I am happy that TPTB has reacted to the justified negative buzz in a timely manner. They do hear us!

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I am much relieved by this photo, and especially the accompanying character descriptions. While there are some aspects I'm not particularly enthusiastic about (the interior architecture seems just a tad too much--almost a caricature of Gothic Revival), the staging of the photo is very, very, very much like those cast photos I used to see in the TV Guide fall preview issue, which were always interesting to look at but all too often had a very tenuous connection to the actual tone of the series.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I think the basis for the melee was highly justified.

Well, I'm less confidant of that because, as several places tried to stress, those paparazzi photos were not only presented completely out of context, they were presented in several quarters as being exactly what Depp would look like throughout the entire film even though those sites had absolutely no basis in fact for making that claim. But then, it didn't surprise me in the least that such sites jumped to conclusions and ignored context because that's pretty much their stock and trade.  [ghost_sad]  [ghost_rolleyes]

231 days 8 hours 48 minutes 25 seconds until the day the Depp/Burton Dark Shadows is released(ET)!!

Offline ZackGolem

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I don't think JD's ears really stick out like that. Looks like they did something to his ears to make them more like Frid's.