Author Topic: Idle Thoughts--Julia Gets a Clue 8/21  (Read 1871 times)

Offline Luciaphile

• ** Collinsport Commentator **
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Idle Thoughts--Julia Gets a Clue 8/21
« on: August 22, 2002, 05:49:51 PM »
Only a couple of fashion notes (sorry, but I've said it all before and no one needs me to address why I think that white dress of Angelique's is not attractive again)

Didn't much care for Elizabeth's blue coat.  Maybe it was the lighting, but I thought the color wasn't too flattering.  Also, terrible shoes.  I believe it was Barbara Stanwyck who told Nolan Miller, that when they notice the shoes you're in trouble.  However, I've only seen these episodes multiple times and I do have the advantage of a VCR.

Did think that Julia looked spiffy in the blue jersey dress and the coat wasn't too bad.

Onto the show.

Color me amazed that Joel Crothers' flailing around didn't completely destroy the set.  He got out of Josette's bed which then wobbled alarmingly, then he pressed down hard on that rickety occasional table, and then he almost made the loveseat collapse.

Man, can Clarice Blackburn scream or what?  I have to say, however, that standing in the middle of the room (face toward the camera, naturally) screaming and wringing your hands seems like a very ineffectual problem solving technique.

Liz and Roger being worried about what the villagers are saying.  Kids, this is just the latest in a very, very, long line of "Have you heard?"  Kind of like trying to put your hole in the dike while it's overflowing from everywhere else.

Speaking of Roger, okay, so I'm thinking that dragging your death-obsessed sister out to the cemetery to inspect a mausoleum is not the smartest thing you could do.

As for Mrs. Johnson and Barnabas.
1. Harry finds Barnabas in the woods, lying unconscious.  Barnabas urges them not to call for medical attention.
2. Mrs. Johnson witnesses a crazed Joe trying to strangle Barnabas.  Barnabas declines medical attention and the efforts of the police.  

There isn't anything to debate.  Personal favor, my ass.  You go home and you call the cops.  End of story.

Wonder who Jonah Collins was supposed to be--progeny of Daphne and Quentin perhaps?

Roger, sweetie, I adore you, but five minutes into that very ill-advised visit to Eagle Hill, didn't you get the feeling that just maybe this wasn't a good idea?

Slocum was pretty good today.  He really seems to improve when he's got scenes with Blackburn.  Also notice that there was a new director.  Maybe that's partially why these episodes seem crisper.  The dialogue isn't improving, so it can't be that.

Finally someone called the police.  About bloody time too.  I mean honestly, do the math, people!

Yet another Sheriff Patterson.  Funny how different they all look in the uniform  ;)  I'm having a very hard time picturing this one as a New Englander though.  Where was Vince O'Brien?  

And finally, finally, Julia gets the sense that something is just not right.  Part of what bothers me with her character is how she consistently defers to Barnabas in matters that really, he knows zip about.  Fine, he's the expert in the occult, but when it comes to medicine?  "Yes, Barnabas, you're right.  I'll take care of a messy flesh wound, which I'm really not qualified to do, and we'll house the patient in your dusty home, which has no running water, heat, or electricity."  Uh huh.

Since when does the Old House have vertical blinds?  Not complaining, I just never noticed before (also found them a bit weird).  Will stop and say that the pillows on Josette's bed are quite lovely.

Reeling from the notion of Barnabas as having a very Christian attitude.  

It's really too bad that Sheriff Patterson didn't just cuff Barnabas and haul him in for obstruction of justice.  "Yes, really, Sheriff, Joe's a wonderful person.  He didn't mean to strangle me.  It's just a misunderstanding."  You would think he could come up with something a bit better than that!

I take it there's no two-way communication between the vampire and the victim.  Nothing, so that one could mentally telegraph, "Um, I'm being questioned by the police right now.  Could you give me a half an hour, okay?"

God, Angelique is such a bitch.  I'm at a loss as to what exactly she's thinking.  But then, it seems she doesn't have any clearer idea herself.

Luciaphil
"Some people ask their god for answers to their spiritual questions. For everything else, there is Google." --rpcxdr-ga

Connie

Re: Idle Thoughts--Julia Gets a Clue 8/21
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2002, 09:05:38 AM »
Um....

All I can say is, this is the FUNNIEST DAMN THING I've read in a LONG time.

Bravo !!   [hello]

LMAO,
I am,
CLC