Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76111 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #75 on: August 07, 2010, 08:50:03 PM »
Actually it was found afterwards... working on the movie book lead me to propose going all out and looking into the missing footage with some serious effort...
;)

Really?  [ghost_embarrassed]  Well, you should definitely be the one to know - but I could have honestly sworn you found it before the book came out in 1998... But now that I think about it, Sci-Fi did the video transfer for you back when they were working on the ill-fated (and ill-conceived) Sciography program - and that was back in 2000. And then the first time any of the recovered footage was shown at a Fest was in 2001, right?

Things like this wouldn't happen if I could still easily access my saved '90s e-mails from back then. But I haven't had Eudora on my PC in years and years.  [ghost_wink]

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 07, 2010, 09:31:33 PM »
i  think you correct. cause if you look at K. Lee's Scott's Book her 35th anniversery of the show.  & sorry about the spelling. that book came out in (2001)  "Dark Shadows Memories" i think it's called? sorry if it's wrong i' m just to lazy to look for it. he he. anyways, in it if ya look are pics taken by someone for the (2001) premire i believe cause i think "Louis Edmonds"

i believe are in them, i may  be mistaken but i think he went & saw it before he unfortnually passed away. now i may be wrong on him being there but please let me know.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 07, 2010, 11:08:21 PM »
Yup, very certain-  Movie book was 98, footage was found in 99, which lead to the Almanac article...

or in Old Testament terms:
Video Watchdog article begat DS Movie Book
DS Movie book begat footage recovery
Footage recovery begat DS Almanac Millennium Edition
 and so on... ;-)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2010, 05:19:12 AM »
which lead to the Almanac article...

OMG yes- the Millennium Edition NoDS article - DUH!  [6184]  How quickly I forget!!    (And why has no one else brought that up?) But in my mind at the time I replied to Phillipe I was thinking the summer of '98, not '99 - and that's mostly because I was thinking of something that happened between the time of the Video Watchdog article and the Movie Book (but I won't go into what that was because, well, I would no longer be so mysterious if I went into that publicly ). But trust me, I won't get the chronology of events mixed up ever again!  

Offline VictoriaWintersCollins

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 14, 2010, 04:19:07 PM »
I currently own dvd-r copies for NODS and HODS, hope there's release to conicide with Tim Burton's upcoming film.
My name is Victoria Winters, my journey is just beginning.

A journey that I hope will open the doors of life to me and link my  past with my future.  A journey that will bring me to a strange and dark place.  To the edge of the sea, high atop Widow's Hill, to a place called Collingwood.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: October 12, 2010, 04:21:23 PM »
I wonder whether any Cousins out there remember Crowhaven Farm (1970), an ABC Movie of the Week starring Hope Lange, Paul Burke (from Valley of the Dolls), Cyril Delevanti (Night of the Iguana), Patricia Barry (also appeared in Boris Karloff's Thriller I believe) and the fabulous Virginia Gregg (brililiant in "Mr. George" from Thriller and also played the voice of Norman's Mother in Psycho!).  Thanks to the kindness of a friend who owns a VHS of the movie from an airing on some channel called "Plex" I got to see Crowhaven Farm again recently.  The style and presentation of the flashbacks of the Hope Lange character's past life in 17th century Brampton, Mass. strongly reminded me of Quentin's flashback experiences in NoDS.  I spotted a couple of other things that DC seems to have copied in Burnt Offerings a few years later.

It did make me wonder whether Sam and DC were watching closely when this movie aired in 1970... particularly given how fast they had to pull a fresh screenplay together when Frid turned down doing the DS feature film sequel late in '70 or early in '71 (I would guess that this came down when he walked off the set late in '70).

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 12, 2010, 05:59:36 PM »
I remember really liking Crowhaven Farm when it originally aired and also several years later when I saw it in syndication. But it's been so long since I've seen it that I don't honestly remember any similarities between it and NoDS.

As for DC "borrowing" from other films, well, does a vampire drink blood?  [hall2_wink]  Though, of course, we have no way of really knowing if he "borrowed" from Crowhaven Farm...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 13, 2010, 12:36:31 AM »
Wow, I was so excited to see that there were new posts in the HODS/NODS DVD Release thread, and I saw a couple of posts that are not at all related to that topic. Why are they here?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 13, 2010, 01:12:34 AM »
Many topics deviate somewhat from their stated titles, and so long as the new discussion relates in some way to the originally stated topic (as almost anything having to do with hoDS or Nods would here) we let the discussion slide. Well, unless it takes on a life of it's own (meaning going on for several posts), then we generally split it off into its own topic. But only two posts doesn't warrant that sort of split.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 13, 2010, 11:54:15 PM »
But usually threads deviate through some kind of natural process (i.e. in a post that's on-topic, the poster will say something that relates to something else, then a subsequent poster picks up on that off-topic comment). In this case, it was just a sudden post that wasn't replying to anything else, and entirely off-topic. Maybe they were just unsure about how to start a new thread?

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2010, 01:30:26 AM »
In this case, it was just a sudden post that wasn't replying to anything else, and entirely off-topic.

But it wasn't.  The post made a comparison to NoDS, which as MB explained, relates it in some way to the main topic.

Maybe they were just unsure about how to start a new thread?

That stat can be viewed through a member's profile.  Gothick started 230 topics.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2010, 06:24:27 AM »
 I have Seen "Crowhaven Farm"  i downloaded it a couple years ago cause it's just such a RARE film. or so i hear. i did it for really one reason & one reason only 'John Carradine" i'm a HUGE fan of his. & to be honest that's a guy who SHOULD have done a few episodes of "DS" or any of the films for that matter.

he would have been perfect! at the time i was watching the film i didn't really think about the differences but NOW that you mention it. you guys & gals are right it is Similar to the "DS" film. the film itself i thought was well acted & well made. i just didn't like the ending of it. that's all. i think the film itself dragged a bit though. but what's even more Surprising is it's an "A. Spelling" film! now i'm NOT

a HUGE fan of his. like many people are. but there are some shows of his i enjoy & grew up on. so it is nice that he also dabbled in the horror genre. it's also hard to believe that tv movies back than took chances & were actually scary! the horror ones i mean. some of them were anyways. i wasn't born until (1978) so i wasn't around to see them 1st hand. but the storyline of DS the show anyways

where the pirates tear Colilnwood apart was actually pretty scary. i think a few years ago it even gave me nightmare. odd uh? i was watching it late at nite i think with the lights off so bear wtih me. anyways. as for the films of DS. i'm guessing if the DS film comes out in 2 years than that's my guess the dvd will come out. at least by what they say anyways

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #87 on: October 15, 2010, 05:06:37 AM »
'Crowhaven Farm' is an enjoyable little chiller.  Someone sent me a copy several months ago.  I miss spooky TV movies like this one.  I can see similarities to the NoDS flashback scenes, at least in terms of the dream-like style employed in shooting the flashback scenes.

Does anyone know what the plot of the second DS film would have been if Jonathan Frid had agreed to it?

~Penny~

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 15, 2010, 05:46:40 AM »
No one seems to know - not even the man who came up with the script. When asked in an interview what the plot was, Sam Hall said that he couldn't remember anything about it. And if the plot was actually such that he couldn't even remember it, perhaps it's a blessing that it was never made...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #89 on: October 15, 2010, 05:50:55 PM »
Ah, I suppose it's lost to the ages then. 

~Penny~

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com