Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76602 times)

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #30 on: December 29, 2009, 06:31:07 AM »
At This point hope they Put them out on Blu-ray as well and as rell as giving us a restored NODS witch i  would gess  would be High Deffinition give us HD remastered HODS as well. Mabey they could use some digital effects to make the night scenes that were shot during the day look like they were shot at night. But that might be taking it a bit to far.
Dan

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 29, 2009, 06:56:56 AM »
 [stocking] Very nice to see a new post on the 2 original DS films. Oh, I would love to see them on Blu Ray. Its a new and great format, but at this point, I will love to one day on this site to read that they have been announnced to dvd.Hope everyone out there enjoyed the Holidays, regardless of which one you celebrate, and have a happy and blessed New Year.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2010, 04:53:16 PM »
New article about HODS not being on DVD and mentions NODS and the upcoming movie.

http://wearemoviegeeks.com/2010/01/not-available-on-dvd-house-of-dark-shadows/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2010, 05:04:57 PM »
Thanks so much for the link, jimbo.  [santa_smiley]  But what an odd article with some really strange to all out incorrect notions put forth.  [santa_undecided]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2010, 08:13:22 PM »
Misinformation going viral on the internet is a real concern. I have seen one blogger post something so wrong about DS only to have other websites run wild with it. Even if the original blogger corrects the information it's too late especially with Twitter, Facebook etc.. Years ago all we had to do was write to the author of an article and ask him/her to correct it in print. Even with printed publications these days most of their articles go online so you can't really win.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2010, 10:02:23 PM »
Today I happened to spot this thread (mostly from December '09) on the Classic Horror Film Board.  It discusses downloads of both DS films that are being sold via Amazon. Near the bottom of the first page are some screen captures from the download of hoDS, including a lovely shot of Barnabas at the costume ball and Stokes and Julia at the dinner after Carolyn's funeral.  The shot of Old Barnabas in Maggie's bedroom really shows how much visual material we get in this "widescreen" type release:

http://monsterkidclassichorrorforum.yuku.com/topic/27967/t/video-on-demand-HOUSE-NIGHT-OF-DARK-SHADOWS-on-amazon.html?page=1

One fan who has seen it describes it as an improvement upon the VHS/laserdisc releases (both p&s), but still not DVD quality.

For those with the right equipment at home, it makes a nice stopgap while we're still waiting for WB to set a date for the restored deluxe DVD editions (which every fan worth their salt will want to buy--we're talking major material involving our favorites that will have NEVER seen the light of day before now).

cheers,

G.

Offline DLA75

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2010, 10:33:34 AM »
I rented HODS from Amazon tonight through my Blu-ray player (have to use a long Ethernet wire to hook it into my router) . It was nice to watch in widescreen on a 40 inch widescreen TV and other then the choppy red letters in the opening credits you for the most part you could not tell it was being streamed from the internet. The overall picture looked no better then my VHS copy and the DVD transfers I made of it. Since this was the first time i used the Amazon rental service (it did not give me the option to buy) the gave me a $5.00 credit  for  activating the service and  linking it to my Amazon Account the $2.99 rental was free.
Dan

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2010, 03:49:37 AM »
In my opinion, the ultimate versions of HODS and NODS as of now are the DVDs I made of the Turner Classic Movies showing that were commercial free. I recorded these "Live", since I think there's a slight improvement when you record as it's showing versus copying from the DVR. I'm not sure if that's true, but I think I notice a slight difference. I recorded both on separate discs at 2 hour speed. Now I have not seen any of the online offerings, so it's possible there's an improvement. I am in no rush to see these films on DVD as I think that if they were slated for release now, the powers that be would not restore NODS. I think time is on our side. When this Depp film is made, and I believe Depp is too dedicated to the idea to drop it, I believe that we have a decent shot at getting a restored version. That's just my take, but hey I thought Cindi Lauper would be massive and Madonna was a flash in the pan, and I thought Buffy would flop and DS 91 would last for years, so what do I know?

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2010, 11:39:09 PM »
I watched HODS in iTunes and the picture was fine with one exception.  The scene where Jeff meets up with Stokes at the very end of the film is too dark to see anything.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2010, 10:30:18 AM »
 man do i wish they'd put these on dvd already. hopefully the uncut versions. i know we all wish that. buut i hope they'd put the remake pilot on it as well as a bonus. & really Itunes has the flix on it?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »
The discussion sparked by B.Collins' remark about the WB pilot and possibly releasing it has been moved to this topic starting with this post:
The 2004 WB Pilot

[snow_smiley]

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2010, 07:40:18 PM »
I haven't found this mentioned elsewhere yet, but at one of the festival events in Burbank on Sunday, Jim Pierson mentioned almost offhandedly that "House of Dark Shadows" and "Night of Dark Shadows" would be released on DVD sometime next year (2011), in conjunction with the new movie.

I would note, though, that the Burton-Depp production is only "in development." Mr. Pierson mentioned that the script is in development, which shows that this project has a long way to go. But in the British TV interview with Depp and Burton, which I saw in its entirety, the duo did make it sound like "Dark Shadows" is definitely in their plans.

Mr. Pierson also said that they still need to find an actress to cover Grayson Hall's lines for the deleted scene(s?) that would be restored. This scene or scenes would possibly be included as an extra on the DVD since inserting the scene would disrupt the sequence as it was rearranged by DC after cuts were made.

"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

Offline Philippe Cordier

• (formerly known as Vlad)
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2010, 07:51:39 PM »
I forgot to mention that the script writer is Seth Grahame-Smith, author of "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter", in case that hasn't been posted yet.  [ghost_rolleyes]
"Collinwood is not a healthy place to be." -- Collinsport sheriff, 1995

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 07:56:04 PM »
For those who may have missed it, the video from Friday Night with Jonathan Ross can be seen via the link in this post:

...the Jonathan Ross interview on the Accidental Sexiness site- it's in 2 parts:

http://www.accidentalsexiness.com/2010/02/27/johnny-depp-tim-burton-talk-alice-edward-and-more/

I forgot to mention that the script writer is Seth Grahame-Smith, author of "Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter", in case that hasn't been posted yet.  [ghost_rolleyes]

There's a long discussion about that starting here:

Some news today- Variety reports that Seth Grahame-Smith has been signed on as a writer for DS. ...

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 08:30:02 PM »
That's good to hear that Pierson did make some mention of the feature film DVDs, although I would guess that if the Depp Shadows release gets pushed back later, the same will go for the film releases given how the suits think about these things (as Darren explained so patiently sometime back).

I wonder whether Daryl Schaefer was ever contacted about possibly looping Grayson's missing dialogue.  His mimicry of her voice is truly uncanny, and after all, even Sam said that the dialogue should be re-dubbed by a male to get the right quality.

I suppose that if they can't get Daryl, her dialogue could also be represented by subtitles.

G.