Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76605 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #255 on: July 31, 2012, 07:31:04 PM »
And that poster has been being used for a while now for the Amazon Instant Video because I've been seeing it come up in DS searches since around sometime in May.

Ahhh...  I haven't checked in a while, but I always remember seeing the VHS art, but this was like 6 months back, so they must have updated it recently. 

Also, I don't think I've ever seen that photo of Nancy Barrett as Claire that positioned next to Collinwood...

Nancy Barrett is getting A LOT of love in this artwork, which I think is fantastic, since she has always been so undervalued in promotion and official history, etc.  She's one of the finest actors of the group, so I am glad that she is getting so much attention here - especially in the NoDS shot!  Fantastic! 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 07, 2012, 08:50:33 AM »
I am not sure if this has been mentioned here before, since we have been discussing so many different possibilities for the eventual release of a restored NoDS, but this looks to be one of the best options:

http://www.shoutfactory.com/browse/470/scream_factory.aspx#axzz22qDWeJnx

Scream! Factory, a new division of Shout! Factory, specializes in cult Horror films.  And what's interesting is that they are re-releasing Halloween II on Blu-Ray, despite the fact that Universal released it just last year on BRD!  Universal's release was bare-bones, but Scream! is debuting a version packed with extras.  So, if they could work something out with Warner Bros., this would be a great opportunity for a NoDS restoration.  I wonder if there's any chance...   [ghost_embarrassed]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: August 07, 2012, 07:57:30 PM »
That sounds like it would be wonderful, CB.  If only it were possible!  Bear in mind that we're talking about Warner Bros. here, which must be absolutely the most "stingy" of the studios in regard to licensing its properties to other entities...

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: August 08, 2012, 06:52:42 AM »
Tell me about it... But if Shout! knew just how much money they would make off of the NoDS restoration, which would probably be substantial for their size studio, they may be more interested in bargaining with Warners.  And the better the offer, the more likely money-hungry Warners will listen.   [ghost_wink]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: August 08, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »
If only. But as KMR says, Warner Brothers isn't normally willing to license out its properties, so getting them to do so with NoDS would probably be an uphill battle no matter how great a presentation they might get from other companies.  [ghost_rolleyes]  [ghost_sad]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: August 08, 2012, 04:38:12 PM »
There's a fascinating critical discussion of house of DS, mainly focusing on the movie's initial impact on its audience, at this site:

http://videowatchdog.com/web/darkshadows/

The material originated as part of the Video Watchdog round table discussion on the DS original series, but there wasn't room to include it in the print version.

Our own Darren is one of the critics involved!

Best, G.

Offline mm#7

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 25, 2012, 08:50:14 PM »
 [female_skull] [8_1_209] I  Haven't seen anything posted on the release of House and Night of Dark Shadows in a while. But, I just wanted to say that I am very anxious to see how the Blu Rays of both look. I will have them Tuesday, I am really looking forward to seeing them. I know we all rightfully feel Warner Bros didn't do the right thing by not going ahead with the restoration. Hopefully, these will sell well. Then they hopefully will have a change of heart. I hope everyone enjoys them.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 25, 2012, 09:52:00 PM »
I'm definitely looking forward to getting my copies. Yes, even a copy of hoDS (which is my least favorite version of DS) because I haven't seen it in its intended aspect ratio since 1971.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 26, 2012, 07:55:09 PM »
I want to pick these up on Tuesday.  I wonder which retailers will be selling them... 

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 26, 2012, 08:10:14 PM »
J&R in New York -- regular DVDS are  7.99 each and the Blue rays are 15.and change.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #265 on: October 30, 2012, 01:54:08 PM »
I'm an Amazon Prime member, and pre-ordered HODS/NODS from them.  Usually I should've had them delivered by release day, which would've been today.  However, in between following Hurricane Sandy's track on Sunday, I was checking Amazon and noticing that they hadn't been preparing my items for shipment.  Ditto yesterday.  I finally got an e-mail apologizing for the delayed shipment, but that it's on its way now.  So, I wonder if this had anything to do with Sandy.  If so, folks might get their Amazon shipments a day or two late.  But at least it's on the way!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 30, 2012, 03:33:35 PM »
As per usual, my order at Amazon merely says "Shipping Soon."  [hall2_wink]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 30, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
I just received a text from Amazon that my order has shipped. So, chances are if you've ordered from Amazon but haven't received a text/e-mail yet, you should be hearing from them soon.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 30, 2012, 10:06:55 PM »
I preordered through Best Buy, and HODS is on its way [hall2_smiley] but NODS is backordered ("normally ships in 1-2 weeks")  [hall2_sad] [hall2_angry] [hall2_cry]

Offline Brian

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 31, 2012, 02:06:13 AM »
I preordered both HODS and NODS blu-ray some months ago from Amazon, and received them this afternoon.  I'm watching HODS now (which is in 1.85:1 aspect ratio) and, may I say, so far HODS LOOKS FABULOUS!  I wonder is our dear Mr. Darren can enlighten us as to the source for this HD transfer...(hint, hint).

Brian