Author Topic: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?  (Read 76575 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: hoDS/NoDS DVD Release?
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2012, 02:25:20 PM »
Darren, I am so sorry to hear of this news as I know how much work you have done and what it all has meant to you.  I'm sorry for the NODS fans as well. [ghost_sad]

[ghost_tongue] [ghost_mad] [ghost_angry]

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #211 on: July 10, 2012, 03:40:19 PM »
I can't go into great detail, but essentially home video didn't want to spend the money on a restoration.

Would Warners approve the project if funding could be obtained from other sources?

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
« Reply #212 on: July 10, 2012, 04:05:04 PM »
Major bummer.  I'm glad they are being released but I was really looking forward to the restored NODS.  Sorry Darren. :(
TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 10, 2012, 05:21:30 PM »
Thank you-- everyone-- for all the kind words and well wishes.

I deeply appreciate them.  I just wish I had better news after all this time.

The general sense I get is they spent some money transferring the short version back in 2005/2006 in HD, and they feel it's an excellent transfer, and they don't feel it's worth spending any more money on it.

Offline frank b

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 10, 2012, 06:03:26 PM »
Darren, I just want to add to everyone else's sentiments and say how disappointed I am, especially after your years of hard work. I have heard you make at least three presentations at Festivals over the years. For what's it worth, I would never buy these versions, which I already own on VHS. This is a major disappointment and perhaps most insulting is that it is a reversal of what we were told - that the Depp film would finally spur the release of the restoration of Night of Dark Shadows. If not now, never, I regret to say.

Frank

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 10, 2012, 06:26:40 PM »
The VHS versions are Pan & Scan, so you lose a lot of the frame. Sometimes characters are even completely missing in some shots. And that's why I said that at least we can be thankful for small favors that the DVD/Blu-ray release will be widescreen.

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 10, 2012, 06:32:45 PM »
Too bad.  They almost got $40.00 off me, but I have both on my computer.  No need to spend money if they are going to be the same movies.   I would have bought HODS if there was a complete NODS to have a set of DVDs of the old movies. 

[ghost_tongue] to WB for not making my day and causing Darren hard work that won't be recognized!  [ghost_mad]

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 10, 2012, 06:41:41 PM »
I really should step in here and say that Jim Pierson has also been on this crusade with me, and working hard on trying to make it happen.  The cast has also been beyond generous with their time and talents, laying down the needed audio.  I have to hope that it won't be for naught and someday it will happen. Though after 13 years (16 if you include the originating Video Watchdog article that began this whole tragic crusade into oblivion), my optimism is worn a bit thin.

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 10, 2012, 06:47:22 PM »
This is so sad. We've waited so long, so patiently. I suppose that it shouldn't come as too big of a surprise. Of course Warners has the resources to do this but apparently it's not regarded as enough of a money maker.
Fade Away and Radiate

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 10, 2012, 07:46:46 PM »
First I want to thank Darren and the others who assisted you and for all the hard work you put into this project and for all of the personal/professional sacrifices you made through the years. I pray one day soon it will happen.

There are some cousins here advocating not to buy the DVD as is. I am just trying to figure out in my little mind if that is a good idea. If the NODS sales are poor that would back WB's decision in not paying for the restoration. On the other hand if the NODS sales are great would that change WB's position? Or is it that we have reached a point in time where after all of the movies' DVDs are released including the new movie, WB will completely cut off all ties to the DS franchise. I am assuming there will not be a sequel.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 10, 2012, 08:47:45 PM »
Even though I am not a fan of HODS, I will buy the Blu Ray when it comes out to show support for the franchise.  Not buying it because it is not what it should be (the restored version) is only going to send the message that there is not a market for DS.  I'll buy the new DS film as well. 

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 10, 2012, 09:38:35 PM »
There are some cousins here advocating not to buy the DVD as is. I am just trying to figure out in my little mind if that is a good idea. If the NODS sales are poor that would back WB's decision in not paying for the restoration. On the other hand if the NODS sales are great would that change WB's position? Or is it that we have reached a point in time where after all of the movies' DVDs are released including the new movie, WB will completely cut off all ties to the DS franchise. I am assuming there will not be a sequel.

This is how I look at it, and why I am so blistering mad - for Darren and us. 

It took them until the end of the DVD era to even release it on disc.  It would have to do exceptionally well to even warrant another physical release.  We all thought that two big names in Hollywood (Burton and Depp) would create a motion picture that could spawn a DS revival.  Apparently that didn't happen.  And if the efforts of Burton and Depp couldn't help in getting the restored DVD/BRD release (It has been argued that they actually hurt it, but I won't go there), it looks very bleak.  Night would have to sell exceptionally well for the studio to consider re-releasing it as it is, without the restoration.  It would have to do even better to get the restoration.  Now it is possible that it will, since so many people have wanted these films for so long.  And it is possible that fans of the new film will bite on these, though for a barebones release, it's kind of expensive (perhaps big box markdowns will help). 

Warner Bros. didn't learn their lesson from the film - that you have to support the fans to avoid negative reactions from the get-go which inspire initial apathy at the box office or at the supermarket checkout stand.  Releasing a bare bones DVD/BRD is silly, because, as is seen here, some fans won't bite because they feel it's the same thing they already have.  Warner Bros. is not helping its own cause, and, at this point, it doesn't appear that they want to.  Note that they didn't even have to release the restoration, but a few audio commentaries or mini-specials could have made the difference for some fans.  But I don't know if that difference will be made now, meaning another 20 years without seeing any part of the restored version released?  Like I said, I'd love for Warner Bros. to relinquish the rights to these movies, so another studio can do the right thing.  What I'd really love is for Warner Bros. to step up to the plate and realize their mistake and fix it. 

Now, if by some chance, we do get a sequel or a re-envisioning of the Burton film, things could change.  But that would be a miracle. 

As always, I thank Darren for all of his hard work.  I have been following this for years now, so I know how much you have been through, and it's just not fair.  I too want to chime in and tell you that I am very sorry.   

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 10, 2012, 10:11:16 PM »
Something we have to remember, though, is that even since the Depp/Burton DS has been in play, it's never been a given that the restoration was going to be allowed and released. The truth is that WB has been dragging its feet on poor Darren all along. And who can forget how not all that long ago they'd announced with great fanfare that the two films were going to come out as a set, also with no extras whatsoever. Sure, they eventually backtracked on the idea then, but that really appears to have been their inclination all along and the only thing new now is that they finally seem to be following through on doing it.  [ghost_sad]

Also, we probably shouldn't confuse the film and video divisions because they're separate entities at WB and they operate independently. The Depp/Burton film could have been a huge success and spawned who knows what and the video division could have still made this same decision. Apparently as Darren says, they believe they've already put in enough money with the HD transfers they already have. And its certainly been a case that all along they haven't believed that there's a big DVD/Blu-ray market for either hoDS or NoDS, so it's not really surprising that they don't believe that putting more money into them will reap any greater profit when their apparent myopia causes them to see the potential market as a finite one regardless of what they may do. We could certainly argue and I'm sure it has been argued that a restored NoDS is likely to sell much better than a non-restored NoDS might. But apparently they've closed both their minds and their pocketbooks to that possibility.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 10, 2012, 10:35:53 PM »
well said well said. & you too Cousin Barnabas. honestly not to be Mean it didn't even occur me to how much Jim Pearson put his hard work into as well. as well as the cast. you would think that with the cast members who were involved & who support it. plus the man who Run DS Jim Pearson they'd reconsider & realize there's a market for it. hell they did put out the whole series on dvd. yes i know that MPI originally put those out. but they sold well enough to do the whole show.

i forget who's since re-released the show but that has to be doing well. & those big box sets of the whole series you'd think they'd look at the numbers if Warner's didn't put those out they could have at least picked up the phone. i doubt they did but it would have been nice. i haven't seen the Johnny Depp/Tim Burton Film yet to be honest. i never got around to see it in the theatre. but i have heard it wasn't good. so i'll prolly buy that on blu-ray. since it's DS & i'll go in with an open mind. like i always do when it comes to watching a film. or tv show etc..

honestly i dunno if refusing to buy the films as they are going to put them out will help our cause. i don't think dvd is done yet to be honest. we prolly still got a few years left of it i'm sure. but i do see your point though. i'd say i wish MGM would help us out. but they have been having money problems for years!
cause didn't they release the films? way back when? i know my VHS copy of the 1st film was put out by them at least. or does Warner own them now? i lose track who owns MGM since it's been sold countless times through the past 20-25 years to be honest.  even though MGM is my favorite movie company. well that & New Line. this kinda reminds me of Paramount with the Friday the 13th Series well the films i mean.

on how for years they denied having ANY deleted scenes for any of the films. than in (2004) they put out that dvd box set. & what do you know it's got deleted scenes!  now they are saying that's all there was.

which i doubt. the original uncut versions for those from what i hear the MPAA prolly has their own copies. but Paramount isn't putting those out. nor seeking them out either. same thing isn't it? sorry for going off topic a bit. i've been watching that series a little bit in the past few days. he he.

granted that's NOT based off a tv series. but they drag their feet on those as well. it did later become a great tv series though. anyways. back on topic. i also thank Darren & everyone who has worked on getting the intended film out as it was meant to be. i was also a follower of his website for a long time as well. & i missed it & still miss it a great deal but i do understand why he closed it. as you can tell i've calmed down a LOT. it just sickens me HOW cheap these movie companies are yet they can afford these stars with these stupid pay checks. & these over priced films that most of time these days anyways suck. sure we get some good ones. but movies honestly have sucked ass in the past few years.  that's why the lose money.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:40 PM »
sorry i forgot to add this, it's NOT cause people download films. it's cause people see crap & don't want to pay for it. it's really that simple. hollywood has run out of ideas. original ones. but again sorry for going off topic here. my point is really this either way if they can afford those kind of films & all that. they can afford to fix our films. & Darren & Dan Curtis'  & everyone else who worked hard on that film, during the making of it & during the restoration that Darren spent nearly 20 years putting together.

there's no doubt i'm sure he's angry about it as well. well i'm done rambling again sorry for going on so long