Author Topic: Another New Slideshow  (Read 40922 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: Another New Slideshow
« Reply #105 on: February 12, 2010, 04:36:08 AM »
from this snap I actually can see (which I never was able to before over many viewings of this movie--I guess I just never thought to hit the pause button at this point) that they made a rather crude attempt to paint Joan's face on that portrait.  So, presumably, there were instructions given to the set people that the portrait was supposed to resemble Joan Bennett.

Though who knows for which version of the script the portrait was initially created? But at any rate, if some in the audience didn't even catch the resemblance, perhaps they didn't exactly do the best job - or maybe it was simply DC's fault for the way it was shot.  [idontknow]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 16, 2010, 01:12:40 AM »
It's funny how the whole idea of holding a costume party to welcome Barnabas into the family was cut and the first we even hear of the party is when Carolyn goes to see Barnabas at the Old House and simply comments to Willie that Barn can't be late for the party because he's the guest of honor. But then, actually establishing the party beforehand was apparently something DC felt was completely unnecessary - just like he felt that establishing the fact that Maggie was quitting was unnecessary. After all, was anyone bitten, beaten and/or impaled in those scenes? Did blood flow, spurt and/or pool? No - so snip snip snip.  ::)

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 17, 2010, 03:50:52 AM »
MB, you really know how to crack me up.  that's the kind of dry New England wit that made this country great!

I gather there were tech difficulties with this evening's hoDS snapshot?  I have an empty box with a question mark in the middle and Flora's quote from 1841.  I use Safari at home now so I know it isn't an IE glitch (yes dears... I use Safari on my NEW MacBook Pro... with Snow Leopard OS X!  yee haw!).

not such a fuddy old duddy,

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 17, 2010, 05:21:34 AM »
I'd forgotten that I hadn't done the capture for today - or uploaded the quote to the database.  [6184]  But everything is in place now.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 22, 2010, 05:29:59 PM »
Such a wonderful capture of Mrs Pettibone & Roger today--the nicest shot of this bit I've ever seen.  Love that we can glimpse Liz in the background as well.  I'm of course forgetting the actress who played Mrs. P, and her scene in Leviathan was just discussed too.  She had a wonderfully seedy way about her that of course comes through in a very different way of Mrs P who perhaps was Rockport gentry?

You know I really dig the snap of Mrs J in the other slide show today.  I just love that apron.

cheers, G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 22, 2010, 07:21:44 PM »
Camila Ashland played the alcoholic Mrs. Hutchins in Leviathans (and other roles).  "I'm not well!," tee hee.

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 22, 2010, 11:22:10 PM »
It's interesting to note the filming differences between the two movies.  While HoDS was crisp and clear, NoDS had a more ethereal, misty style.

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 23, 2010, 07:12:52 PM »
Camilla Ashland certainly looks far more elegant in hoDS than the audience had previously seen her on the daytime DS as Mrs. Hutchins in Ep #928 or Minnie Duvall in Ep #997 (which was broadcast before hoDS' release but actually taped after she'd shot her hoDS scene):

Mrs. Pettibone:
Mrs. Hutckins:

Minnie Duvall

Love that we can glimpse Liz in the background as well.

Believe it or not, that's not Liz - it's just an extra in the foyer. But it's easy to see how you might mistake her for Liz because she's wearing a dress that looks similar to one of Naomi's from the daytime DS.  ;)

Roger actually brings Mrs. P to Liz in the organ room:

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2010, 12:01:14 AM »
That's a wonderful gallery of Camilla Ashland's DS performances, MB.  Now, if we just had a shot of her as Joanna Mills' landlady, the gallery would be complete!  Not that I'm dropping hints or anything...

I love the shot of Mrs P being welcomed by Liz, and seriously hoping that the luscious pair of legs I'm ogling to the right end of the frame *aren't* those of Roger Davis...

The costume ball sequence really was the high point of the movie, wasn't it?  I want to go home now and freeze frame my way through my VHS of the movie although that often just results in blurry, distorted images.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2010, 04:20:38 PM »
RD (along with Don Briscoe) is on the left side of the shot, so you're safe.  ;)

As for today's quote, it's once again a cut scene that deals with Maggie leaving her job as governess. After David apologizes to Maggie, Roger points out how there will be a regime change once she's gone. (Though, of course, little does he know that thanks to Barnabas' upcoming intervention, Maggie won't be going anywhere. So much for that regime change.  :D)

[Actually, I've always wondered what David Henesy thought of the final cut of the costume party because all of his scenes were completely cut. In fact, a good deal of the costume party ended up on the cutting room floor. A big portion of 2 days of shooting was all for nothing. But then, what was I saying the other day about sequences that didn't involve biting and/or blood?  ::)]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2010, 01:04:07 AM »
Today's quote comes from yet another scene that was apparently completely reworked because Stokes doesn't make any remarks that are even remotely like what appears on the calendar. He simply comments about Liz and Barnabas obviously being dressed as Naomi and the "original" Barnabas, and then muses about how they can do nothing about the attacks but that surely someone can talk Maggie into staying.

Too bad they dropped Stokes' quote because, without knowing it, Stokes would have been perfectly assessing the way Barnabas kept watching Maggie.

Though considering that even the reworked scene was cut, I suppose that ultimately it doesn't matter what Stokes said because the audience was not going to see it either way.  ::)

(It's also interesting that neither version of the scene appears in the novelization. Although that probably has to do with the fact that the version that appears in DC's script is a revision dated March 11th, and apparently even the original version was a revision made to the script after the copy that was used for the novelization.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 02, 2010, 01:10:32 AM »
Today's quote comes from yet another cut costume party scene. In this one Barnabas has brought Maggie to the library so that he can lead up to asking her to stay.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 07, 2010, 05:11:45 PM »
Today's quote is somewhat different from what appears on the calendar, but that's because it comes from a 4/27/70 revision. The calendar features: Barnabas - 'I am going to offer her what no other man can...Eternal life...Eternal love!' - no doubt referring to Maggie and not Josette. And interestingly, the scene was originally set in the basement of the Old House, not Josette's room. But then, that won't surprise anyone who has read the novelization.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2010, 03:11:50 AM »
MB honey, you know I am just ADORING all the attention the slide show has been lavishing on this scene between Stokes and Julia.  I've always loved the scene, and to get to study it in this intricate level of detail... FABULOUS.  I particularly enjoyed yesterday's shot for some reason.  Although it really made me think of how Johnny Depp may look in Julia drag...

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2010, 03:21:14 AM »
You'll probably be happy to know that there's still more to come from Scene #119.  ;)

Although it really made me think of how Johnny Depp may look in Julia drag...

Well, if anyone could pull it off, it's probably Depp.  :D