Author Topic: Potential Sequels To DS Film With Johnny Depp  (Read 9925 times)

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Sequels To DS Film With Johnny Depp: Present VS. Past?
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2009, 10:52:30 PM »
Good heavens.  Karmically inter-related souls caught up in a trauma.  Does this sort of thing happen a lot in Maine?

Aside from that, I think the actors playing the characters in the present should also play the characters in the past, because that would, to me, be an essential part of preserving the tone or spirit of Dark Shadows, which apparently Depp and Burton want to do.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2009, 07:27:25 AM »
As far as explanations go, I like that one.  Something similar was mentioned in an episode or two of The X-Files, as I recall.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2011, 12:43:54 AM »
Well, if the synopsis released by Warner Bros. yesterday told us anything with any degree of certainty, it's that a sequel, if we're lucky enough to get one (or more), most probably won't be an origin story of how Barnabas came to be cursed as a vampire because the first film is going to deal with that. And it's unlikely to deal with much of anything else in 1772 but that. We'll probably see Barnabas' womanizing, his relationship with Angelique, his relationship with a Josette type character if not Josette herself, his betrayal of Angelique (at least in her eyes) in favor of the Josette type character, and his cursing and burial. And it will probably be dealt with fairly quickly so as to get to 1972 where the main story will take place. So, there will probably be very little need of many if any of the other characters we're familiar with from Victoria's trip to the past. Victoria will probably never even make a trip into the past because there won't be any need of it. And thus any discussion of whether the 1972 actors should play characters in the past as well is pretty much moot with the exception of Joshua, Naomi and the Josette type character.

As I mentioned yesterday in the "Depp/Burton DARK SHADOWS Is In Production!!" topic, I really wouldn't mind seeing Michelle Pfeiffer and Jonny Lee Miller play Naomi and Joshua. Though I have to admit that it would probably be unnecessary unless, unlike the original DS and the '91 Series, they're going to play up the fact that Barnabas sees the resemblance between his parents and Elizabeth and Roger and it affects him in some way. The only one who might actually play two roles in the film might be Bella Heathcote as both Victoria and the Josette type character.

What do others think...

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2011, 02:40:49 PM »
I've said it before and will no doubt say it again--I hope Victoria does not look like Josette nor end up being Josette's reincarnation.  That was a cliche the original series avoided, much to its credit.  How much more interesting to see Barnabas attracted to Vicki for herself rather than for who she once was or her accidental resemblance to someone else entirely!

With this addendum...if Vicki is the reincarnation of someone who was supposed to hook up with Barnabas way back when, but never did (not like in the series where they were engaged and he later bit her, almost turning her into a vampire)--that would be cool.  Maybe if she looks like his first victim, for instance?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2011, 04:17:34 PM »
I'm too lazy to go back to look up her exact wording because it's something that she said over two months ago, but KLS said that she was lead to believe Bella Heathcote will play both Victoria Winters and Barnabas' lost love (who is presumably Josette). Although, KLS has no direct connection to the film so far as we know, so who knows how reliable her info is? I would presume she got the info from Jim Pierson, who is a consulting producer on the film. But who knows...

Offline ShadowsAtlanta

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Sequels To DS Film With Johnny Depp
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2012, 01:02:21 AM »
Does Tim Burton even do sequels?  I can't think of a single follow-up to an iconic Burton film.  Well, with the exception of projects that were picked up by other directors... one unfortunate example being Big Top Pee-Wee.  We definitely do NOT want a Big Top Barnabas. 

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline Uncle Roger

• * 200000, 250000 & 300000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2012, 09:39:17 AM »
Well, Burton did do a second Batman movie so another DS film wouldn't be completely out of the question.
Fade Away and Radiate

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2012, 06:03:14 PM »
And no one says that Burton has to direct any sequels. In fact, it's quite often the case that sequels are handled by different directors...

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
as for the film. as much as i can't wait to see it. weather the film is a hit or not, we really can't  be 100% that "Tim Burton" would even do another one. cause he RARELY does sequels at all. regardless if the 1st film is a hit. the only time he's really done that is with "Batman" & he had to be talked into making that one i believe.

Offline neiljohnson

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 22, 2012, 03:34:52 PM »
Assuming the film does contain mostly comedic elements like those we have seen in the trailer, I have a question about sequels.  Does anyone agree with me that the elements of the story we have seen, make the possibility of sequels less likely?  Perhaps I am wrong, but with all that comedy, AND the speculation that [spoiler]the family is aware that Barnabas is a vampire,[/spoiler] AND that he becomes their protector, makes possible storylines for sequels seem fairly trivial.  For example, how could the family ever be terrorized by a ghost (ala Quentin or Gerard), when they have a vampire living with them?  Or, how could a werewolf storyline be taken seriously in a future film, when it is surrounded by all that comedy (as established in the original)?

Of course I am not as creative as a screen-writer, but it does seem to me they have written sort of a dead-end storyline here.  And, I do realize I haven't seen the film yet, so I may be speaking a bit prematurly.  Does anyone else have thoughts about this?

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 22, 2012, 07:54:55 PM »
Michelle Pfeiffer predicts 3 sequels... or at least hopes for 3 sequels.   [snow_cheesy]

Check out the articled linked to in this post:
MICHELLE PFEIFFER Takes Us Behind The Scenes Of “Dark Shadows”

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #27 on: March 22, 2012, 08:19:10 PM »
Of course I am not as creative as a screen-writer, but it does seem to me they have written sort of a dead-end storyline here. 

I do agree that it may appear that way given what we have seen in the trailer, but as everyone knows, no matter how much a movie should be a stand alone feature and not have sequels, where money is concerned there is always a way.

My bet is that while some of the family members may know that Barnabas is a vampire, not all of them will. And those who do (if this is indeed a true plot point) may meet a bitter end by the finale of the film thus preserving his secret in future movies.

Either way, there is always a natural next step for any story. The problem lies in unearthing it and handling it properly when the time comes.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2012, 11:16:51 PM »
sequels might prove difficult given what we've heard and seen hinted at in the trailer...

[spoiler]mainly it looks like collinwood burns to the ground. as well as the family business. i'd also guess that several important characters die as well. [/spoiler]

so if there is some sort of prequel/sequel perhaps something set in a different time period or focusing on a different set of characters.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #29 on: March 23, 2012, 02:39:48 PM »
Although there have been reports that [spoiler]Collinwood will be burned and that characters may die[/spoiler] I don't think that necessarily precludes any options for a sequel in the future. Depending upon the [spoiler]characters who die....let's say Roger for instance, perhaps the sequel could focus on Laura coming back to claim her son and what she believes to be her part of the estate after Rogers death. Maybe this is how Quentin is introduced as well--she could bring him back with her, or she could summon his ghost to push David towards her. From there they could explore her past with him in 1897....[/spoiler]

That is just one option that I thought up on the fly. And you know that Angelique is always up to no good so including her in a sequel would not only be pretty much a sure thing, but they could further the story between her and Barnabas.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran