Author Topic: Potential Sequels To DS Film With Johnny Depp  (Read 9929 times)

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Potential Sequels To DS Film With Johnny Depp
« on: February 24, 2009, 07:33:34 PM »
In light of the current discussion going on in
It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
I'll throw this out there. I am wondering what DS fans think about possible sequels to the depp film (should it take place present day) using the same present day cast for flashback storylines vs a different cast for flashback storylines?

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: Potential Sequels To DS Film With Johnny Depp: Present VS. Past?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 06:49:14 PM »
Is there a lead balloon icon in the house? lol

I wonder if today's audience would have a problem with present day characters playing their ancestors? Because it's not necessary I would tend to think that it would come across as preposterous. 

I don't particularly like the idea of the ancestors being carbon copies of the present day characters be it in a flashback or sequel. But as opposed to a totally different actor, I was wondering how the audience might react to a 'Nicole Kidman as Virginia Woolf' type of makeup for the ancestors? You know- altered facial features, different heights, etc. Maybe if only even for the Josette character if they decide to even have a Josette (portrait or flesh).

Was also thinking about younger actors playing the older characters in makeup present day and then shedding the old person makeup to become the younger versions of themselves or their ancestors.

Got to give the computer back to it's owner - the nerve!  [snow_embarrassed]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 09:09:29 PM »
I've been thinking about your question ever since you posted it, and the reason I haven't responded is that I can't seem to make a decision because nothing is known about the film's script. IF this upcoming film is set entirely in one time period and any potential sequels set in another, I can see the possibility of using other actors to play the different roles. But at the same time, IF they go the Vicki travels into the past route, whether it be in this film (which would seem unlikely because it may prove too confusing) or a potential sequel, a big part of the story has been Vicki confusing the people in the past with the people they resemble in the present and believing (at least initially) that what she's experiencing in the past might only be a dream.

I suppose it all depends on what shape this film's script takes...

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:22:21 AM »
You both raise some interesting points, and I agree that the question is open depending on the form of the first script. 

Personally, I liked the dual roles in different time periods; it felt like repertoir theater to me.  But i was wondering, is today's audience familiar enough with theater for this to be even workable? I hate to think it, but the stage and stage conventions such as this, sadly enough, may not be familiar to younger moviegoers, and may need explaination.

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline arashi

• Senior Poster
  • What a lovely night for the unquiet dead.
    • View Profile
    • Darkness Falls
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 02:24:53 PM »
People seemed to accept it back when they made the mini-series. Hell, I was 10 when that aired and got it, and I know most everyone here who watched the show back in the day was around that age and got it, so why would it be different now? I agree that it all hinges on the script.

Offline Pansity

• Senior Poster
  • Who's Sorry Now?
    • View Profile
    • Jeannie's David Selby Site
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2009, 12:59:31 AM »
I'm basing my speculation that it may not translate on comments I've seen from younger fans.  I'd love to be wrong, but it seems references we took for granted when we saw the show are not understood by more than a few of the younger fans, even those of college age.  Could be for lots of reasons, but since theater and going to plays is not emphasized the way it used to be in schools.....

Jeannie

My David Selby Fansite (performance & book reviews): http://jwmediafanfiction.com/jeanniesdavidselbysite

My Dark Shadows Fest Pictures site:
http://jwmediafanfiction.com/dsfestpics

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2009, 01:17:00 AM »
My hope is that they make at least 3 films. The first would be the release of Barnabas. The second would tell the story of how he became a vampire. The third would be about the cure. I would have some actors play different parts in different times while other would not.

If more than three movies are made maybe Barnabas could be human in some and a vampire in others. They could do three werewolf movies. They could do all of the original stories and new stories.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2009, 02:20:40 AM »
My own preference is for an entirely different scenario.

No sequels.

But let the movie be so successful that somebody decides to make a new television series!   [ghost_cool]

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2009, 05:45:35 AM »
If it were up to me, the first film would take place entirely in 1795 (or whatever year the powers that be decide to set it in).  It's a self-contained story with a classic romantic triangle and a conclusion (Barnabas being chained in his coffin) that serves as a perfect jumping off spot for a sequel.  The sequel could be set in present day and follow Barnabas as he is released and learns to deal with existing in a new millennium.  Because Barnabas would have been established as the protagonist in the first film, the second film could explore what it is like for him to emerge from his coffin in an alien world and learn how to survive.  I think it would be fascinating to see just what sorts of experiences Barnabas went through from the time he was released to the time he first showed up at Collinwood, as it was only hinted at in the previous DS incarnations.  Plus, it would allow for a deeper exploration of the Barnabas-Willie relationship.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2009, 07:15:49 AM »
I like that sort of plot scenario, Claude. Who's knows if that's the way TPTB are thinking? But I agree it makes a lot of sense. And I'm almost dying of suspense to know what shape the script has taken. But who knows how long it's going to be before we actually find out. I had originally hoped for some hints at this year's Fest - but the schedule of events didn't seem to look that way.  [ghost_sad]

Offline Irishcoda

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
    • This That & The Other Thing
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2009, 10:11:50 PM »
I like your idea a lot, too, Claude.  If Barnabas was released in 2009, we'd maybe still have an adult David as the master of Collinwood but the other family characters would be new, like Star Trek TNG.  Maybe Quentin would be around because of the portrait.  If he destroyed it, maybe David Selby could play the aged Quentin, LOL.
I've learned.... that everyone wants to
live on top of the mountain, but all the
happiness and growth occurs while you're climbing it.
--Andy Rooney

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2009, 06:00:23 AM »
The problem with Claude's scenario is that it is ideal for those who are already fans of DS, but would probably be off-putting for people unfamiliar with the story and characters.

Imagine for a moment if the first Pirates of the Caribbean had ended with Captain Jack Sparrow magically frozen for some reason.  Then the second movie has him waking up in 2005, in a world he doesn't understand, with the rest of the cast of the original in new roles.  How would film-goers have responded?  Most likely, with loud complaints and by avoiding the box office.

Selby_D._Pearson

« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2009, 05:56:01 AM »
Being that the main reason they created 1795 characters for the already established cast of the original DS was to preserve their jobs over the many months it took to tell the 1795 story, I would prefer to see different actors playing the ancestors in the new film (if they start the film in present day and then travel back to the past, per Dom's initial question). Having new actors for the characters in the past wouldn't put any of the modern day actors out of a job (although it does suggest the need for a bigger budget to accommodate twice the number of cast members).

My reasons are: I got annoyed with Vicki (both in the original and 1991 versions) mistaking an ancestor for a modern day member of the family every time she met someone for the first time in 1795/90. "You look like someone I once knew." We, as an established audience, already love our show and can easily forgive this. But if you think about it, how believable is it for 20 or more people in a family separated by nearly 200 years to look exactly alike?

Also, the zinger was supposed to be Barnabas' resemblance to his "ancestor's" portrait (and also Maggie's to Josette's). If Elizabeth looked just like Naomi, Roger like Joshua, David to Jamison, etc... to me that greatly lessens the importance of Barnabas standing by his portrait and saying "Oh, Madam. You may tell her that it's Barnabas Collins."

And although I loved the 1991 version I found it hard to set aside my disbelief for Vicki looking exactly like Josette and even harder to believe the 1790 characters could accept it so easily. And after Josette dies and the hatred of her Aunt Natalie (and others) is directed at (the wrongly accused) Vicki, to me that hatred for someone who looks exactly like your recently deceased beloved niece just doesn't ring true. (Perhaps it would have been easier for me if the writers had Natalie, Andre and others say to Vicki something like "You have used your witchcraft to mask your own face with the face of my innocent Josette!")

And lastly, on the original show (and to a lesser extent, the 1991 version) it was never explained why a non-family member in the past looked like a family member (or other character) in modern day. (Natalie looks like Julia; Forbes looks like Joe Haskell, Noah looks like Harry Johnson, etc..) While we fans have had more than 40 years of fun trying to figure out this contorted family tree, why bother bringing up these questions if the budget allows for a different actor for each part?

SDP

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2009, 03:19:08 PM »
I had not considered this about the new movie, but I agree with you.  Your reasons are excellent, IMO. [ghost_smiley]

Nancy

Offline Julia99

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
  • My Fans are Legion
    • View Profile
    • Barnabas & Company
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 06:30:12 PM »
And lastly, on the original show (and to a lesser extent, the 1991 version) it was never explained why a non-family member in the past looked like a family member (or other character) in modern day. (Natalie looks like Julia; Forbes looks like Joe Haskell, Noah looks like Harry Johnson, etc..) While we fans have had more than 40 years of fun trying to figure out this contorted family tree, why bother bringing up these questions if the budget allows for a different actor for each part?

karmically they are inter-related souls caught up in a trauma they are trying to work out of though maybe on earth they are not family.   I thought in the '91 series Maggie does say something along those lines.
Julia99