Author Topic: A New Slideshow Is Coming  (Read 18498 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A New Slideshow Is Coming
« on: June 24, 2008, 08:33:12 PM »
Considering that very soon the current slideshow will complete its third consecutive run, it's definitely time for it to be retired (though it might return at some point) and replaced with a new slideshow on the forum's BoardIndex. On June 27th a DS Quotes Slideshow will begin in its place, mostly featuring daily quotes taken from the Fest's 1990 Calendar of Quotes. However, some days the quotes on the calendar were a bit boring, so I'm going to open those days up for suggestions of something a bit more interesting.

The first day up for suggestion is July 24th. So, if anyone has a favorite quote from Eps #281(1967), #543(1968), #804(1897), or #1065(1995), please post it in this topic and we'll definitely consider it for the slideshow. Some important stipulations, though - keep the quotes to one single character (no exchanges between characters) and to one (preferably) or two (at the most) sentences (all of which is the way it's done on the actual calendar).

Thanks! 

Offline barnabasjr

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Full Poster
    • View Profile
Re: A New Slideshow Is Coming
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 02:14:12 AM »
I've really enjoyed the slideshows, MB, and I'll never forget your "gift" to me last summer after I was MIA for a week. Thanks again for much enjoyment. Looking forward to what's next. [beer]

John
Your 3rd cousin in Virginia

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:41:14 AM »
I'll miss our current slideshow.  It has given me my daily DS fix since it went off the air on that ungrateful Sci-Fi network.  It was like being able to watch the show all over again, following along with the plots and our beloved characters.  But I know that whatever you come up with, MB, will be equally fantastic and satisfying.

Gerard

Offline Lydia

• The Tattooed Lady
  • FULL ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 04:29:16 AM »
Yeah, I'll miss the slideshow too.  A lot.

And now I have to go searching to find out which episodes some of my favorite quotes were in.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2008, 12:05:58 AM »
The good news for the people who posted and PM'd me to say they'd miss the History Slideshow is that it hasn't been retired after all. I've moved it to the Robservations board, and anyone who might like to continue to follow it can do so there.  [ghost_smiley]

At the moment, the Quotes Slideshow is only available in the Arcane Magic theme, but that will change...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2008, 12:51:14 AM »
MB, you are brilliant!!!!  I'm loving both!

Gerard

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008, 04:26:51 PM »
If you've noticed the * after July 1st's quote, you might be wondering what that means. Well, that's going to be used to indicate a quote that I had to add myself because the quote on the calendar was actually for the wrong date. And when it comes to July 1st, it wasn't just off by a few days - it was REALLY the wrong date because the quote the calendar cited actually comes from the April 21, 1967 ep!!  [ghost_blink]  But then, how often are any of these things completely accurate, so should it be any surprise that the calendar is no different?  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008, 12:05:52 AM »
What a cool new development.  I've been mostly offline (and a travellin' man) for the past two weeks, but look forward to catching up with the new slideshow soon.

cheers, G.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2008, 05:31:51 AM »
Quote from: MysteriousB
if anyone has a favorite quote from ... #804(1897), ...

No question about it, mine from that ep is by Charity as Pansy:  "Maybe I'm not a lady, but I got other virtues."

[lghb]

Offline Sandor

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 06:46:55 AM »
MB,
Love the slideshows you've provided over the years. Thank you for keeping them alive.

And yes, Midnite, one can always count on Charity/Pansy for a sassy quip. The writers must have loved writing for her, since they weren't in much of a hurry to cure Charity's "possession" once she started running around with that feather boa.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2008, 12:10:37 AM »
Thank you for supplying today's quote, Midnite. I love that remark too - the whole scene, in fact.  [ghost_cheesy]  (I also love Charity's remark up in the hall outside the tower room. I'm sure you all know the one I mean.  [b003])

But as one problem is solved, another crops up - this time with August 22nd. The quote on the calendar for that day is: "Roger: Has the little crook robbed a bank (1966)", and the trouble is that Roger doesn't ever say anything even slightly resembling that in Ep #41. So, we would appreciate someone sharing a favorite quote from one of the following: Eps #41(1966), #302(1967), #564(1968), or #825(1897).

Also, does anyone have any idea where that quote of Roger's actually does come from? Off the top of my head I can't recall, and I also did several sorts of searches through Robservations but came up with nothing. As I mentioned in reply #6, the sad thing is that there are other examples on the calendar of quotes being listed on the wrong days, but I would like to list them in the slideshow on the right days. But in this instance I have no clue, so I'd greatly appreciate any help anyone might provide.  [ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 12:13:11 AM »
Also, does anyone have any idea where that quote of Roger's actually does come from?

Well, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one around here who has no idea where it came from.  [ghost_wink]

The interesting thing is that the quotes on the calendar were most often taken from the scripts (except in the case of some bloopers) and not the actual episodes (remember this is the 1990 calendar - and back in 1989 when the calendar came out, Eps #1-#209 and #1008-#1245 had not been seen since their original airings back in 1966-1967 and 1970-1971 save for a few clips here and there and the rare showings of an entire ep at the Fests), so some of the quotes on the calendar are a bit different from what the actors actually say on the shows (I've corrected them, however, to reflect what is actually said). It would be very interesting if Roger's line: "Has the little crook robbed a bank?" was scripted for Ep #41, but for some reason it was either cut or Louis simply forgot to deliver it...

But at any rate, I picked one of my favorite Roger lines from Ep #41 to feature in the slideshow.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2008, 07:16:31 PM »
The next problem on the calendar  crops up for September 24th. The quote for that day should actually be for the 25th, which has a quote from an entirely different ep. So, if anyone would care to share a favorite quote, we're looking for one from one of the following eps: Eps #587(1968), #848(1897), or #1109(1970)[ghost_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2008, 07:06:16 PM »
Another month apparently means more errors on the 1990 calendar. I was just adding the October quotes to the database and discovered two problems: the quotes for October 26th and October 29th actually come from Ep #872, which originally aired on October 28th. So, you know what that means. If anyone would care to share a favorite quote, we're looking for one from one of the following October 26th eps: Eps #88(1966), #349(1967), or #1130(1840) - as well as one from one of the following October 29th eps: Eps #612(1968), #873(1897), or #1133(1840)[ghost_smiley]

And you may want to strongly consider sharing a quote because left to my own devices I may come up with another one for those dates from Amanda Harris (or some similar type of character) as I did for September 24th:

1897: Ep #848 - Amanda: 'All you want of me is someone
you can use!'

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2008, 06:23:39 AM »
And you may want to strongly consider sharing a quote because left to my own devices I may come up with another one for those dates from Amanda Harris (or some similar type of character) as I did for September 24th:

A great choice for today, MB, and also a vast improvement, lol.  [hall2_cheesy]