Author Topic: ** PLEASE READ: Excessive Quoting **  (Read 2487 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
** PLEASE READ: Excessive Quoting **
« on: May 11, 2008, 10:08:19 PM »
We've addressed this issue before, but it seems to keep returning, so:

As you all know the forum has a finite amount of server space. Whenever anyone misuses the quoting feature, they eat up that space needlessly. Please never quote the original post in any topic in its entirety - it is the subject of the topic, and if you're on topic, there is no reason to quote it. Quoting a specific individual passage (or individual passages) from the original post is OK, though, IF a reply is specifically addressing that particular passage (or passages). Which leads us to: please do not quote in its entirety the post immediately proceeding your own - it's understood you are answering. However, once again, quoting a specific individual passage (or passages) from the immediately proceeding post is OK IF a reply is specifically addressing that particular passage (or passages).

The single most important thing to remember is that if you feel you must quote a post, quote it, then edit out all but the pertinent part(s), shortening it, and freeing up valuable server space.

Thanks for your attention to this. It honestly helps the boards load faster and it keeps topics uncluttered if we all follow these few guidelines. And just as importantly, it saves the admins/mods from having to continually edit posts to remove any excessive quoting (and improves their dispositions greatly  ;)).

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Re: ** PLEASE READ: Excessive Quoting **
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 12:03:44 AM »
Thanks and I will do my best to remember this.  :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline mrjuggins

• Full Poster
  • There's a moon out tonight ...
    • View Profile
    • The DS FAQ Homepage
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2019, 03:38:38 AM »
Why not just eliminate the quoting feature ??

Tim

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2019, 03:59:43 AM »
This really isn't much of an issue anymore and we should have posted so. When this topic was first posted we had a host that loved to penalize us for using too much space on their server. (They'd shut us down for periods of time, slow us down, who knows what else...) But they were so many hosts ago that I've already forgotten how many ago they were. Our current host, who we've had for several years now, doesn't limit us in any way. Though that's not to say that people should quote huge posts in their entirety - but if someone did, we wouldn't get hell for it even if too many people did it.  [ghost_nowink]

Offline mrjuggins

• Full Poster
  • There's a moon out tonight ...
    • View Profile
    • The DS FAQ Homepage
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2019, 01:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the update!!!
I'm glad things are better now!!

Tim