Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449789 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #990 on: July 22, 2009, 05:35:20 AM »
I could see Johnny speaking to Tim in January and telling him man I am ready to go with Dark Shadows and Tim replying not after I take my vacation. I don't know how long movies are suppose to be completed before its scheduled release date. If Alice is released in March I wonder how long before that Tim has to have completed his post production work. I am hoping that the movie could begin in early 2010 but that now seems to be in doubt according to THR.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #991 on: July 22, 2009, 05:44:58 AM »
There are no rules or set time for a movie to be completed before release. Obviously it needs to be completed in time to strike prints and get them to the theaters. But some films are completed more than a year before they're released - while others are still being assembled right up until the last minute.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #992 on: July 22, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »
I just saw that Hollywood Reporter article and raced here to see if it had been posted, and as usual, jimbo has already got it covered   [ghost_smiley]  Well, Johnny's detractors *always* think he's overexposed, so that criticism is nothing new.  With few exceptions (such as having no films out in 2008) he usually puts out about 2 films a year.  There will be 2 this year, if Parnassus ends up being released.  He also narrated a Doors documentary, which might be released soon.  There will be at least 2 next year (Alice and The Rum Diary).  Rango is scheduled for 2011.  So, even if he is not that active right now, he still has a steady stream of films scheduled for release.  He's not in danger of being someone like Jude Law, who I think I was just reading put out 6 films in one year a few years ago, but he will continue to have films released. 

Alice is no doubt taking a long time because it's heavily animated *and* they're adding 3D.  I'm disappointed (because of the delays it will cause DS) but not surprised that it's taking a long time.  In contrast, The Rum Diary wrapped filming in June, and the director believes he will have it finished in Sept., which isn't surprising because it's just a straight drama without a lot of action or effects.  So MB is right that films can take any amount of time.

I never saw the 2004 pilot, so this is the first that I've heard that it was campy.  Maybe I'm glad that it wasn't picked up, then.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #993 on: July 22, 2009, 02:23:54 PM »
Yet another article pertaining to the latest TB disclosure. The writer indicated that the movie is anticipated to be released in 2010. Don't know where he got that information from-maybe it's just a guess although I believe this is one of those respected sites? Time will tell if they place this movie on the fast track.

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00025853.html

Madscntst don't overestimate me. I just happened to be awake and catch the breaking news. lol As they say competition can be a good thing. You have done very well yourself. This is a team effort indeed.

I don't think for a second that Johnny is overexposed. Two movies a year is certainly not overkill. With all of Johnny in-the-work projects do you think he could squeeze in another or two Dark Shadows sequels and if so I wonder if TB would have the time to direct them.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #994 on: July 22, 2009, 03:51:37 PM »
I forgot to mention also that Johnny's partner, Vanessa Paradis, has 3 French films in the works- she's filming one now, has one on tap, and I've heard that she just signed onto another one with Gerard Depardieu.  That is a lot for her- her work isn't known here in the US, but she usually does a film every few years and as she's also a singer she releases an album every few years.  A couple of years ago, she was on tour while Johnny was on a break between Sweeney Todd and Public Enemies.  I don't know if it's that she's taking on these projects because Johnny has a break, or vice versa, but the end result is that Johnny can get to just be a dad to their 2 kids for a bit while Vanessa gets the chance to do more projects.  (Or else maybe it's all just a coincidence  [ghost_wink]  I'm just speculatin' )  This said, I'm hoping hoping hoping that DS will be greenlit by the fall, and we'll have a better idea of the exact schedule.

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #995 on: July 22, 2009, 08:42:06 PM »
I don't want to be overly pessimistic - and I'm sure Darren doesn't want to be either (though given how long he's been working on his pet project to get NoDS restored, it's easy to see how he could become that way from time to time - I'd be on several anti-depressants by now) - but in the hoDS/NoDS DVDs topic Darren seemed to think that the likelihood of the Depp/DS film being released before 2011 or even 2012 wasn't very good. And given the restoration of NoDS and the release of the DVDs is directly tied to the production of the Depp/DS film, one should be able to trust that he's in a position to know.

Of course, that doesn't necessarily mean that the Depp/DS film can't begin to shoot at some point in 2010 to be held for release until some point in 2011 or later. But given Darren's outlook, it seems unlikely that the film will begin shooting in the first quarter of 2010 as many of us have been greatly hoping. We should only be so lucky that some sort of miracle takes place and things do actually work out that way, but...

As for the '04 DS pilot, I didn't think it was campy. True, the end was over the top - but it was planned that that sequence would be edited down. We have to remember that what we saw was unfinished.  [ghost_wink]  But this isn't quite the topic to discuss any of that. There are other topics on the forum that have already been started to discuss such matters. This one, for example:
The 2004 WB Pilot
[ghost_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #996 on: July 22, 2009, 08:49:09 PM »
Another poll. This time from our friends at EW. I just hoping that things move more swiftly than we are speculating it might.

http://popwatch.ew.com/popwatch/2009/07/johnny-depp-movies.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #997 on: July 22, 2009, 08:56:52 PM »
At least that poll is far more realistic than the last one. And it's great to see that DS is currently leading the list with 40% of the vote - twice as much as the fourth Pirates film. That's quite a surprise. Apparently a lot of DS fans take part on EW's Web site.  [ghost_wink]

MirandaD

« Reply #998 on: July 23, 2009, 11:02:01 PM »
I guess Tim Burton already had his AIW panel and showed the clips - Johnny Depp showed up and here is a brief article mentioning what we already know about DS.  The writer seems somewhat out of the loop!

http://www.ifmagazine.com/new.asp?article=8381

I'm following kateyrich on twitter who is doing a live feed from the events.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #999 on: July 23, 2009, 11:12:18 PM »
Love Burton's remark that he plans to do DS next if he ever finishes AIW. DS fans share his exasperation - though probably for different reasons.  [ghost_wink]  [ghost_sad]

And thanks for following kateyrich on Twitter, MirandaD.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1000 on: July 23, 2009, 11:50:44 PM »
MirandaD thanks for posting the link. The site shocktillyoudrop is also reporting what he basically told MTV yesterday or was it two days ago. I am not sure he will be giving us any more information in light of the fact he himself does not know when Alice will be finished.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: July 24, 2009, 12:01:01 AM »
Tim Burton's complete quote "Yeah if I ever finish this one here [Alice in Wonderland]. It's hard to think beyond this at the minute but yeah that's the plan". Think Dark Shadows Tim. jk

http://io9.com/5321507/tim-burton-confirms-dark-shadows-vampire-johnny-depp

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: July 24, 2009, 12:22:24 AM »
I believe this is the 1st time I ever posted three posts in a row-sorry about that.
But I could not believe that Pirates 4 is possibly going to start filming next April or May. How is this possible?

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=57429

MirandaD

« Reply #1003 on: July 24, 2009, 04:02:22 AM »
jimbo, thanks for the links on those articles... I have to admit it is gratifying to see photos from the original series in the articles about the new movie.  It seems to me that Pirates is slated to shoot April and May '10 and DS starting in the summer.  I know some movies-of-the-week types are shot in very short timeframes, but 2 months seems really short for a major motion picture!  So I don't know how they plan to do it either!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: July 24, 2009, 04:45:26 AM »
I believe this is the 1st time I ever posted three posts in a row-sorry about that.

That's absolutely no problem. I'm sure everyone appreciates that you post the news as soon as you find it.  [ghost_wink]

But I could not believe that Pirates 4 is possibly going to start filming next April or May. How is this possible?

Well, Darren did warn us of the possibility just the other day...

Personally, I love this comment made by one of the people responding to the io9.com piece:

Is there a way to cryogenically freeze myself until the day this opens?

Where's a Jupiter 2/LIS style freezing tube when you really need one? Considering all the delays that keep cropping up for the Depp/DS film, we all might want to seriously consider going into the deep freeze at least until everything finally gets worked out. Can our collective health really deal with all these highs and lows?  [ghost_grin]