Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447636 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #810 on: March 10, 2009, 12:53:52 AM »

This blog in the Hollywood reporter is of the opinion that Depp has yet to pull off being "menacing -- true, bloodthirsty, win-at-all-costs menacing" and wonders if he'll achieve it as John Dillinger in Public Enemies:

I think the blogger may be disappointed in Johnny's Dillinger turn.  While I think he will be menacing, the real Dillinger was also known to be very charismatic and charming, and that he didn't wish to kill anyone, so I think we'll see a fair bit of Dillinger's sympathetic side in this film.  But I disagree with the blogger that his characters in Sweeney Todd and Blow weren't menacing enough (and I would add The Astronaut's Wife and Once Upon A Time In Mexico).  Why do people often think of him only being in sweet and cuddly roles?  I think he'll be able to do "bloodthirsty" (literally and figuratively) just fine!!   [snow_cool]

I hadn't really been thinking of Jolie for DS, but I wonder who she could play?  I suppose she'd do justice to Angelique, but I actually see her as a better Dr. Hoffman.  Hmm.

And thanks for that blog, MB- cute!

Cathy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: March 13, 2009, 04:48:29 AM »
This comment was recently posted in reply to an article on Entertainment Weekly's Web Site about the search for a director for Eclipse, the third movie in the Twilight series:

jimmy Thu, Mar 12, 2009 at 09:56 AM EST

It seems to me that EW has a hatred to Johnny Depp's new Dark Shadows movie. EW's last article on the project left us readers whith the knowledge that the movie was not going to happen. Then subsequently reports came out in the media that the DS movie was in fact going to be filmed later this year. So why then has EW not published an update which would have corrected its last article? Please explain EW why you hate Dark Shadows and publish so many aricles on Twilight. Don't think Dark Shadows fans have not noticed your apparent resentment of the Dark Shadows franchise.

I can't say I think EW in any way hates DS or resents the franchise. That sort of criticism is harsh. But it is interesting to see that apparently one DS fan in calling EW to task on their Web site for their October report.

On a lighter note, there are also these two comments:

mk Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 07:58 PM EST

Forget about Twilight series and Pattison. The movie I'm waiting for is the Dark Shadows adaptation with Johnny Depp as the vampire Barnabas Collins. Should be perfection.

Lizzie Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 09:48 PM EST

mk - I agree with you 100% on Dark Shadows. With JD on board, it will be fantastic!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: March 19, 2009, 07:50:14 PM »
new article-even says DS could be a movie franchise if the 1st one does well

Johnny Depp’s ‘Dark Shadows’ Adaptation ‘Very Active’…With Tim Burton Directing?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: March 19, 2009, 08:04:55 PM »
Thanks so much for posting the link to that article, jimbo. It's very good to read that Warner Brothers "will be making some announcements regarding" the Depp/DS film "pretty soon. Very soon, probably." And apparently the DS purists had better gird their loins if it's true that the producers are "very adamant that there are certain things you should definitely take liberties with."  [easter_wink]  But I really liked the changes that were made for the '04 pilot. And we should certainly expect that there will be changes for the movie. So, hopefully any liberties they take for the movie will be as equally interesting.

An all-around excellent article.  [easter_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: March 19, 2009, 09:13:23 PM »
MB I having having a hard time believing that Dan Curtis actually said that he was "adamant" that the producers of the new movie take liberties with the movie. I could see Kennedy saying that but Dan? Maybe it was part of his selling pitch but still hard to digest him saying something like have fun with the story, it's all yours, do what you want. Regardless, a new story line can be very intriguing as well as new take on the characters.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: March 19, 2009, 09:32:18 PM »
Well, the article does say that it's Kennedy who's adamant about certain liberties being taken - but it implies that it is with DC's blessing.

Of course, DC seemed to be of two minds when it came to the changes made in the '04 pilot. Some reports had Curtis wholeheartedly sanctioning them - even saying so in as many words - while other reports said he would have much preferred yet another retelling of hoDS. Not that either report contradicts the other because it would have certainly been possible for DC to want to do another hoDS but to realize that he'd already dipped into that well once too often. Frankly, I was thrilled that the smarter heads of John Wells and Mark Verheiden prevailed in that situation, and I'm looking forward to seeing what changes are made this time around.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: March 19, 2009, 09:44:20 PM »
I agree that change can be good and maybe Dan himself realized that too. I could live with the changes they made in the 2004 pilot but I guess we may be in for more dramatic changes (?) Perhaps we won't hear as the first uttered words in the new movie, "My name is Victoria Winters" although that is what I am expecting.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: March 19, 2009, 09:47:06 PM »
Given that Depp and Burton grew up watching the original series, I would be surprised if the core story wasn't featured again in this re-make.

nancy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: March 19, 2009, 11:31:13 PM »
Glad Entertainment Weekly is right on top of this latest news. jk Maybe they still refuse to believe.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: March 19, 2009, 11:47:58 PM »
Well, I hope they take the liberty to keep Bob Cobert's original scores for the theme, Josette, and Quentin.   [easter_wink]

Taking liberties is okay, just so long as the liberties taken don't detract from the story.  They said they will be staying true to the original spirit of the show.  I hope they stay true to a little more than just the spirit.  I do want to recognize this film as being Dark Shadows.   [easter_grin]  But, I am happy that Warner is finally getting ready to announce something.  I can't wait to see where this goes! 

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: March 19, 2009, 11:58:46 PM »
Oh I don't like this latest article about Burton pushing back filming of the DS movie.

JOHNNY COME LATELY? Tim Burton May Push Back 'Dark Shadows' Start Date

And yes they should use Cobert's themes.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #821 on: March 20, 2009, 04:13:53 AM »
This really brought a smile to my face in an otherwise dreary week for me.  I do hope they let Robert do the music. That is the only liberty I wouldn't really like to be taken! However, a new vision on the music make work and suprise me.  Since WB did the pilot could it possibly be a extra on the film DVD?
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #822 on: March 20, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »
jim pierson at the burbank festival mentioned the POSSIBILITY of the 2004 pilot being included on the dvd release of the warner bros. film version of DARK SHADOWS.

Offline dom

• Long Lost Cousin Returned
  • Global Moderator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: March 20, 2009, 08:59:05 AM »
That would be nice. I've only seen the bits and pieces that were first shown to fans at the Tarrytown fest (in 2004? My goodness, was it that long ago!!!?). I've been eager to see the subsequent showing that I'm guessing was complete (or near complete) ever since. At the time of the filming of the pilot the only cast member I was excited about was Ivana Milicevic and I don't remember any of her scenes being shown. I am most curious about her version of Angelique. I'm under the impression that if the 2004 pilot doesn't show up on a DVD release, I will never get to see it.

I am really excited about the Depp movie. I hope it will be a blockbuster! Can you imagine DS being up for Academy Awards - Did you think you'd ever even think it would ever be possible!? Oh, geez, I'm getting all giddy about it, lol.

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #824 on: March 20, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »
i wouldnt hold my breath waiting for DARK SHADOWS to win any major oscars. sci-fi/fantasy/horror films rarely win any major awards. heath ledger only won for the dark knight because he died. the last time an actor won for a horror film was frederick march for dr jeckyl and mr hyde in 1932 !