Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450267 times)

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #750 on: January 06, 2009, 05:22:47 PM »
And speaking of that character, does anyone else think that (if you ignore the guns and the money bag) the caricature on the TOC page looks an awful lot like it could also be him? Maybe it's the coat's collar...

Yes!  Or the spiky bangs.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: January 12, 2009, 07:14:02 AM »
ya know what? i just can't wait until this film comes out! i have a feeling it's going to be good. i just HOPE THAT Tim Burton does by it right. & NOT make it a 90 minute movie like "Dan Curtis' did with the Orginal Films. & it's a damn shame that he's since passed on soo he can't see the finished product. i also hope that they make sequels to it. there really hasn't been any crappy films of Tim burton's that i haven't enjoyed of his. some are better than others granted but he's basically done MOSTLY GREAT films. plus i'm dying to see Johnny Depp  pull this thing off, IF anyone can do it he can. i was watching Nightmare on elm street the original & it's just simply amazing that was his 1st film. & that to me that will at least until the DS film comes out, his BEST FILM! i know he's done a LOT WONDERFUL movies since than. but Nightmare On elm street for me is my favorite of his. by the way i see you changed the color to a nice color, the board i mean & i like it VERY much.  [snow_wow]

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: January 12, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »
...there really hasn't been any crappy films of Tim burton's that i haven't enjoyed of his. some are better than others granted but he's basically done MOSTLY GREAT films. plus i'm dying to see Johnny Depp  pull this thing off, IF anyone can do it he can.
Totally agree on both counts!  Both guys couldn't be more perfect for this project in my opinion.   
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline rainingwolf

• Full Poster
  • Not all wolves are werewolves!
    • View Profile
    • MySpace Page
« Reply #753 on: January 13, 2009, 02:54:32 AM »
CastleBee, I just have to tell you that I LOVE your corgi avatar and the pack of "Collinwood Corgis"! Do you raise them, or have some of your own? They are just delightful dogs!
"Well Behaved Women Rarely Make History..."

Offline CastleBee

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: January 13, 2009, 06:07:03 PM »
Do you raise them, or have some of your own? They are just delightful dogs!
Thanks rainingwolf.  I currently have two Pembrokes...Nigel and Alexis (Lexie).  If I was a corgi breeder I would have at least as many as seen in the Collinwood Corgi picture since I'd never be able to part with them.  (One look from those liquid amber eyes and I'm a goner.)  The corgi in my avatar is the late Casey Powlett-Jones - who was a Cardigan.  Still miss him.
“There is something haunting in the light of the moon; it has all the dispassionateness of a disembodied soul, and something of its inconceivable mystery." ~ Joseph Conrad

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: January 13, 2009, 11:28:51 PM »
As expected, I think-I lost track, that Depp's next project is The Rum Diary to be shooting in March and I am hoping that Dark Shadows would be next.

http://www.thebadandugly.com/2009/01/12/next-up-for-johnny-depp/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #756 on: January 14, 2009, 01:08:49 AM »
Yes, The Rum Diary is still supposed to be next, after the project he's working on right now, the animated film Rango.  (Unconfirmed reports say that Rango has already started- Johnny is doing voice work and some motion capture, and that it will only take 4 weeks).  I'm a little concerned that other than the casting call for Chenault, there's been no real hard info for The Rum Diary, such as the rest of the cast or an actual start date, but I'm crossing my fingers that it all goes well.

I am holding on to my trust in Richard Zanuck that Dark Shadows will be next up after The Rum Diary, and that it will start filming at the end of summer, as he says.  Please let it be so!!

Johnny was present at the Golden Globe Awards this past Sunday.  He was last year's winner for Best Actor in a Comedy or Musical (for Sweeney Todd), and as is customary, he presented this year's Best Actress in a Comedy or Musical (to Sally Hawkins).  We fans were waiting with bated breath during the Red Carpet preshow, hoping that he'd be interviewed and maybe he'd be able to give a few tidbits about DS or other upcoming projects.  However, it just seemed like he showed up to present the award and was otherwise not really spotted there (he's a shy fellow  [snow_smiley]  )  But unfortunately, that was a missed interview opportunity. 

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: January 14, 2009, 11:16:26 PM »
Apparently this woman was out of the loop until someone clued her in.

Check out: Butterfly Dreamer: Tribute To Johnny Depp , all the Vampire I will Ever Need

Just goes to show that even with all the publicity out there on the Internet, some Depp fans are still unaware...

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: January 15, 2009, 03:12:26 PM »
ya know what would be perfect? if he had something to do with the NEW nightmare on elm street remake. i don't mean he should reprise the role that he did when he was what 19? but maybe have a cameo like he did in part 6. IF they  MUST have a remake of it. i was reading somewhere on a forum that they NEED to remake it & how Craven is a bad director but a good writer. while i disagree on what they said he's both a good director & a good writer. even if he hasn't done a good film in quite a few yrs. anyways that's a film they should just leave well enough alone ya know?

[Admin Note: The rest of this post has been quoted, split, and merged with "Dark Shadows: New Audio Dramas from Big Finish" on "Calendar Events / Announcements '09 I".]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: January 19, 2009, 09:58:45 PM »
Considering that Gilliam has been overly optimistic about the project in the past, who knows how true this is? But for what it's worth: Gilliam's "Don Quixote" Resumes. And if the film does come together this time, one would presume it would shoot after the DS film - but who knows...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: January 19, 2009, 10:10:02 PM »
There's a clarification about shooting in this posting: Gilliam Resurrects 'Man Who Killed Don Quixote' that reads: "The director would like to begin filming this year, according to Empire, but it's all contingent on Johnny Depp's schedule." However, the original Empire posting doesn't quite say that: Gilliam Back To Work On Don Quixote

On a completely different note, this fan hopes Depp's look for the DS film will resemble his look for Sleepy Hollow: Fascination With Fear: Depp as Barnabas? Check out the photos she provides...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: January 22, 2009, 11:43:08 AM »
Brief reference to John August as the DS writer for the movie and Frankenweenie.

http://www.shocktillyoudrop.com/news/topnews.php?id=9308

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: January 22, 2009, 03:59:37 PM »
Not to change the subject, but a guy that I work with was telling me that he remembers watching the show when he was a kid and run home from school to watch it.

I asked him has he heard about the upcoming DS movie with Johnny Depp. He said no. But after that, he thinks Depp is not the right person to play Barnabas.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: February 03, 2009, 12:58:27 AM »
Here's are some more articles that mention August's involvement with Frankenweenie, Preacher and DS:

John August to pen 'Preacher' film
(This article from Variety seems to indicate that the DS script was still being written as of January 21st.)

'Preacher' Finds Writer in 'Corpse Bride' Scribe John August

John August tackling two film projects

John August Writing 'Preacher' to Tempt Sam Mendes

John August To Write Preacher, Frankenweenie

John August Pulls Switch on Tim Burton's 'Frankenweenie' 3D!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: February 03, 2009, 03:03:38 AM »
Article suggests that Tim Burton is applying pressure on the cast of his Alice movie to prevent details from leaking out to the public. His style may be the same with the DS movie as it appears to be these days.

http://www.cumberlink.com/articles/2009/01/29/opinion/lunchtime_blog/doc498090bd638e2657680981.txt