Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449849 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2007, 07:57:34 PM »
The person who wrote this article:

Depp Pushing Dark Shadows To Screen

seems to think that, unlike the original and '91 series, the movie will tell 'the full story of Barnabas Collins.' That would certainly seem fairly unlikely in the scope of one film. But it would certainly be nice to think that maybe over the course of a series of sequels (if the first film is successful, of course  ;)) it might happen. Though at least the writer is grounded in reality enough to realize that "while Depp may be donning fangs and the wolf-head cane, it still may be a few years before “Dark Shadows” makes its way to the screen. "

(It's also nice to find another fan of Ben Cross' interpretation of Barn.)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 30, 2007, 08:05:33 PM »
I don't know where this site's article is getting its info, but they claim: Seventh Collaboration On The Cards For Johnny Depp And Tim Burton  Though it most certainly could be nothing more than something akin to the mere speculation that's gone on here on the forum...

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 31, 2007, 04:22:53 AM »
The Burton-Depp team-up is a no-brainer, but to be honest I'd love to see a less campy director on board.

Nancy, we want to hear what Mr. Frid has to say about all this!
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline jennifer

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • DSF God
  • we'll always love you Don!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 31, 2007, 02:51:27 PM »
i can see him in the part as long as he doesn't
go all "Willie Wonka " i love JD but he was too weird
in the wonka role

jennifer
i love that we are called rabid fans oh if they only knew ;D
we are the champions!!!!
 2007 Boston Red Sox
PAV

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 31, 2007, 05:16:26 PM »
Nothing at all new in the text of this article:

Depp's Dark Shadows

but I don't know - something about the way Depp looks in the accompanying photo makes me think he looks very Barnabas-like. Does anyone know what the photo is actually from?

And it's nice to see that this article:

Johnny Depp Does Dark Shadows

believes DS was ahead of its time.  8)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 31, 2007, 05:35:37 PM »
Take a look at the one below. Some inaccuracies but overall good. ...

From that TV Blend article:  The tidbit was revealed during Warners' presentation at Comic-Con in San Diego on Friday.

This rather lengthy E! Online article:

Depp Steps into Shadows

also mentions that the news was revealed during Warners' Comic-Con presentation. Though E! Online isn't exactly known for its reliable reporting. And in fact, they seem to think the 2004 WB pilot actually went to series.  ::)  (But, oh, if only...)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #81 on: July 31, 2007, 09:36:14 PM »
Nothing at all new in the text of this article:

(URL)

but I don't know - something about the way Depp looks in the accompanying photo makes me think he looks very Barnabas-like. Does anyone know what the photo is actually from?

Hi, I'm a new member!   :)  I was active in the AOL DS community during the 90's and am also a huge Johnny Depp fan.  Naturally, I'm thrilled about this news!!  The photo shown in the Variety article is just from a photoshoot, not from any of his movies.  It dates from March of 1997.  I agree he looks very Barnabas-like there!

The initial Variety ad made no mention of the San Diego Comic-Con, so I doubt that the announcement was made there.  A poster for Johnny's next movie, Sweeney Todd, was unveiled at the Comic-Con, so maybe the E! article confused the 2 news items.

Cathy

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 31, 2007, 10:54:01 PM »
Welcome, madscntst!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2007, 11:13:48 PM »
At this point, I personally think it is a tempest in a teapot... not meaning to rain on anybody's parade, but it could be YEARS before it gets beyond publicists spinning out press releases on the project.

Just my two drachmae... I'm sure the discussion WILL continue, and I'm the first to admit that Mr. Depp has got the action.

I'll personally never be able to think of anyone else as Barnabas other than Jonathan Frid.  And I say that acknowledging that I admired Alec Newman's work in the role in the Warner Brothers network pilot that failed.

G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2007, 01:58:14 AM »
He's off on vacation but I do know he doesn't get overly optimistic about news like this because it's been in the works before, only to fall apart.  He will probably say something about it in August.

JF doesn't have any idea who Johnny Depp is.   Or Tim Burton.

Nancy

Nancy, we want to hear what Mr. Frid has to say about all this!

Offline LdyAnne

• Full Poster
  • DS fan since 1967- run home from school kid
    • View Profile
    • Central Florida Dark Shadows Fan Club
« Reply #85 on: August 01, 2007, 03:32:44 AM »
also mentions that the news was revealed during Warners' Comic-Con presentation.

I was watching the G4 channel and it was covering the 2nd Day of the the Comic-Con when a crawl came on showing The Depp announcement.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #86 on: August 01, 2007, 03:50:06 PM »
Thanks LdyAnne- I guess it was announced at Comic-Con and was just not given that as a reference right away.  At any rate, it's been announced!

Gothick, you're absolutely right that it may be a long time before this film comes out, and of course there are no guarantees that it even will.  First of all, it doesn't sound like there is even a script yet, and they will have to get that ball rolling.  Johnny himself has film commitments for at least the next year- he is next slated to film Shantaram from Jan to May of '08, and it was recently announced that the Hunter S. Thompson novel, The Rum Diary, will probably be next up after that.  There are some other tentative and rumored roles in the pipeline, as well, and his production company has a number of other projects going on besides Dark Shadows.

That said, I am really optimistic about this in the long run!  Johnny has long said that he was always a huge fan of the show, and if he is passionate about something, he will pursue it very relentlessly, even if it may take awhile.

Cathy

Offline Miranda

• Full Poster
  • Dit forum is het helemaal !
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 02, 2007, 05:26:23 AM »
I think I read that it is an executive at DCP named David Kennedy who was involved in the negotiations for the Depp movie.  For mre, it would be a refreshing change if there was ONE DS pie Jim Pierson does NOT have a finger in, though to be fair I guess JP is at least partially responsible for getting Jonathan finally back for another Fest, but I think the MAIN kudoos should go to Jonathan and Nancy K themselves...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 03, 2007, 01:15:01 AM »
Despite the fact that Depp starts filming Shantaram this fall and then shoots The Rum Diary, the Imdb website has a tentative 2010 release date for the Dark Shadows movie. As many posters have pointed out, the DS movie can be years away.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/maindetails

( at this time there are no details except for the projected release date)

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 06, 2007, 11:43:23 PM »
Actually, it's a fallacy (though but one of the many that have been purported over and over again) that DS would have certainly been canceled were it not for Barnabas' introduction. It's absolutely true that ABC gave DC six months to bring the ratings up or DS was in all probability going to be canceled. However, the ratings had actually improved so much by the time the first Laura storyline had gotten into full swing that ABC renewed DS then - before Barnabas was even hinted at on the show. (I believe this was even discussed/confirmed at last year's Fest.)

Now, of course Barnabas definitely brought DS a great deal of attention and huge ratings - but he didn't necessarily save the show from cancellation.

At the end of Disk 3 Vol 4 Sam Hall basicly says  had 13 weeks to go. But he did bring up an interesting point about how the show could have continued.  This is maybe where I got the mis understanding.
Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate