Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449778 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #735 on: December 22, 2008, 04:28:16 PM »
Is there a reason why the IMDB website removed the entire DS movie production details, discussion board, articles etc... from its page? Now it seems you have to join and pay IMDB pro to access that information. It's been that way for at least the past two days at least from my server. Doesn't sem to be fair. Perhaps it is only temporary.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #736 on: December 22, 2008, 05:28:01 PM »
Don't count on it being temporary.  Imbd has made the "transission" from being an entirely free website to being a predominantly pay site.  It still offers some freebies, like quick description of films, performers, etc., but if you want more than that, you've now got to dish out almost thirteen bucks a month for the privilege.  That's over $150 a year.  Yeah, right, as if that's going to happen in this economy.

Gerard

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #737 on: December 22, 2008, 06:04:28 PM »
Thanks Gerard for the information. That is just pure greed on its part. That site was not crucial to us DS fans but it was a descent information site on the movie's development progress. So all those people that were using that site's discussion board now have to pay. The only post I made way back there got deleted for no known reason but I do feel for those posters. That is a ton of money these days.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #738 on: December 25, 2008, 05:12:45 PM »
Well that just sucks. I used to acess imdb all the time for stuff but now it looks like we'll have to go elsewhere for our movie news. Bleh!

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #739 on: December 26, 2008, 04:47:58 AM »
i agree,  buut i still use it. i'm on it everyday plus i never SERIOUSLY take to heart a LOT of what's on that board cause you NEVER know the site can be a LOT of the time full of B.S.  & i'm NOT a member of that pro or whatever the hell it's called either. i ain't wasting my money on paying an arm or a leg to gain acess HELL NO! i actually don't know anyone who DOES pay for it. does anyone here?

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #740 on: December 28, 2008, 05:48:43 PM »
I am not paying as well for anything regarding the production of this movie. Of course the exception would be for ShadowGram which is well worth the money. The news should be available to us for free without subscribing to imbd.  We should be able to get news for free as we have been here on the internet. There is another publication that seems to have an update on Dark Shadows although it is dated 12-11-08, issue 639 and they want something like over $50 a month to subscribe.  http://www.productionweekly.com/

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #741 on: December 28, 2008, 10:40:00 PM »
screw that i ain't paying that. according to IMDB the film comes out in (2011) isn't that a bit TOO FAR OFF? or is this just me? i hope they are wrong though. & that's just a guess date.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #742 on: January 02, 2009, 12:37:43 AM »
I just read online that Depp is on the cover of the next issue (January 9) of Entertainment Weekly. I wonder if we'll get any info about the DS film? Probably not because he's promoting Public Enemies. And, well, EW would have to address (or hope their readers have forgotten about) their mistaken impression from October. But you never know...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #743 on: January 02, 2009, 03:17:33 AM »
I hope Depp says something about DS but knowing EW they will edit that part out. I am glad that Depp is not doing Shantaram in the near future as this article says it has been postponed a bit and not shelved. Whatever.

http://www.timesnow.tv/NewsDtls.aspx?NewsID=24964

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #744 on: January 02, 2009, 07:11:29 PM »
This references the EW article mentioned above and states in part that Depp has completed his Mad Hatter role in the new Alice movie.

http://www.iesb.net/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=6017&Itemid=99

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #745 on: January 02, 2009, 07:57:28 PM »
Just a note... I mainly use the historical sections of IMDB and I just checked profiles for two long-ago actresses, Constance Collier and Edna May Oliver (I enjoyed the treat of seeing films with both ladies in them yesterday).  I had no difficulty navigating around those pages and reading bio info, etc. for both. 

I guess the pay-for material now extends to all movies that are currently under production. 

The 2011 release date had been informally announced a few months ago.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #746 on: January 03, 2009, 02:52:39 AM »
I'm guessing no one got their EW in the mail today. Mine didn't come. But between the holiday being on Thursday and the recent weather, I'm not surprised by that. And sometimes when there's a holiday later in the week like that, my EW doesn't even come until Monday or Tuesday.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #747 on: January 03, 2009, 03:16:47 AM »
Mine did.  GREAT cover shot.  The article itself and the photos seen inside the mag start on EW's home page (he has finished with Alice, it says), but the Q&A with him doesn't appear to be online.  I was intrigued while reading about Depp's insights into Dillinger that he talks about his entering prison (as a victim of his own "ignorance and youth") when "the world was one thing," but found it quite different when he got out.  Hmm, now what other character does that remind me of?

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #748 on: January 05, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »
Mine did.

Just as I anticipated, mine didn't come until today.

but the Q&A with him doesn't appear to be online.

Which is only fair. After all, people who only read EW online shouldn't get all the same stuff for free that subscribers and those who buy the issues on the newsstands do.

I was intrigued while reading about Depp's insights into Dillinger that he talks about his entering prison (as a victim of his own "ignorance and youth") when "the world was one thing," but found it quite different when he got out.  Hmm, now what other character does that remind me of?

Gee, I can't imagine.  [santa_wink]

And speaking of that character, does anyone else think that (if you ignore the guns and the money bag) the caricature on the TOC page looks an awful lot like it could also be him? Maybe it's the coat's collar...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #749 on: January 06, 2009, 04:11:23 AM »
John August recently wrote at his website about his dealings with Warner Bros. some good and bad and that his next project is with them; not sure why he still can't name the project (3rd paragraph from bottom of article on Shazam). He also touches on the strike and provides other insights.

http://johnaugust.com/