Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449652 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
First a James, now a Jamie. Hmmm... But here's yet another question posed about when we might see the Depp/DS film:

No unfortunately I can't take credit for this article being generated. I do find it ironic that a Jamie from NY asked the question. I would have asked Stacey a much better question with a little more passion. Dam, there is competition everywhere in NY. lol

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Here is a very encouraging response by TV Guide's Matt Roush to a question posed by a very strange individual named James. lol
http://www.tvguide.com/ask-matt
Just you know this article has been relocated to  http://www.tvguide.com/Ask-Matt/080811
asked by James from jimbo

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
This is a bit off topic however, I felt it was worth sharing.  Johnny Deep along with his costars Jude Law and Colin Farell are finishing the movie Heath Ledger was working on before his untimely death.  According to the Sun, the three stars donated their salary's to his little girl Matilda.  I think this speaks volumes about what kind of man Johnny Depp as well as  his costars.  How touching.  I feel my self getting a little teary eyed!   [ghost_sad]   I hope this was okay to post.  I thought it would be even though it wasn't directly related to DS it still involved our next Barnabas Collins.

You can read the full story here:  http://perezhilton.com  Although I cannot stand Perez I couldn't get the link to THE SUN to work. 

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
The story about Johnny, Colin Farrell and Jude Law donating their salaries for Dr. Parnassus to Heath Ledger's daughter is absolutely true, and has come from a direct quote from Terry Gilliam.  So you don't have to rely on Perez Hilton for that one (and I can't stand that guy, either  [ghost_wink] )

In other news, the following blurb appeared on a prominent Depp site, the Johnny Depp Zone, the other day. (Thanks to Emma!)  It's from "Production Weekly" and is supposedly dated June 12, 2008 (those numbers at the top must refer to something else, because they're not the date)

Granted, the blurb at the bottom seems to mistakenly think that the story is about a dream, rather than being *based* on Dan Curtis' dream   [ghost_grin]   But almost the identical blurb is found on the DS Wikipedia page, where it's in the proper context.  Anyway, what's exciting about this Production Weekly entry is that it shows Johnny in the "Cast", which is reassuring!

Cathy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for posting the listing from Production Weekly. However, I edited your post to attach the image rather than display it inline because the forum's system automatically resizes wider images to 640 pixels wide and that was blurring way too much of the copy.  [ghost_sad]

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Anyone reading that Production Weekly blurb not knowing of the origins of Dark Shadiws would have no idea what it was talking about.  The mysterious "he" just thrown in there where it would act as a pronoun to "Soap Opera..."   [ghost_blink]  Someone needs to make sure they proof before publishing.   [ghost_wink] 

But, considering they should know more about the people involved than they do about the plot, it should be taken as a good sign.   [ghost_grin]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Sorry about the Production Weekly image- it looked okay to me but I didn't realize it wouldn't format well in the end.  Thanks for doing the attachment thing, MB! I will learn how to do that for next time!

In other news, I hope that this isn't too far off-topic, but in a tangential way, it does pertain to some of the current rumors about Johnny's projects.  Johnny was on a South Florida radio station yesterday, where he and members of his old band The Kids were promoting a pair of benefit concerts they're going to do next weekend.  The concerts are in honor of Sheila Witkin, the mother of the band's bassist, who was a rock promoter and manager in Florida in the 70's and 80's and who passed away a few years ago.  Johnny and his band played at last year's event, too (I was there!!) and now they'll be back for the 2nd Annual Event (I'll be there!!).  Anyway, during the interview Johnny was asked if he was going to play The Riddler, as rumored.  His response "Not that I know of, but it might be a fun gig for awhile."  (I take that as a "no", and he's just trying to be respectful to the Batman franchise).  He was also asked about an old rumor that he might play Salvador Dali, and that one was quashed, as well.  He did own up to playing Dillinger and his part in filling in for Heath Ledger in Doctor Parnassus.  No mention of DS, unfortunately, nor of the Mad Hatter.  You can listen to the podcast here, though it's mostly about the concerts:
The Paul & Young Ron Show: The Johnny Depp Interview

On the off chance I get to chew the fat with Johnny at the show, I'll be sure to ask him about DS, but I don't think there's a chance in hell of that happening   [ghost_wink]

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Just what we need - another rumored/potential project for Depp:

Johnny Depp Dr Syn in remake hope

Though one would certainly hope that if it is true that he's considering it, it won't be done until AFTER the DS film...

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I would frikkin' LOVE to see a remake of Dr.Syn, The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh[ghost_tongue2]

On the other hand, methinks Johnny Depp might not want to play another pirate.  But I wouldn't mind him playing the part.

The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh Masks, Hats, Wigs and Coats

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
We never know what is really going on behind the scenes, but I'd put this in the "filmmakers' wishful thinking" category for now.  "In talks" probably means they sent Johnny a script.  As if they're alone ;)    I do wish a solid filming schedule would be announced for Johnny, just so we'd know what's next for him, (after his rock & roll shows next week, of course!)   IMDb currently shows Shantaram production as starting in September, which is news to us but might mean that they might be ready to film in ~Feb. or so, after all.  Or not  [ghost_wink]

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
IMDb currently shows Shantaram production as starting in September, which is news to us but might mean that they might be ready to film in ~Feb. or so, after all.  Or not  [ghost_wink]

It would certainly seem not if Chunky Pandey can be believed. And given that almost anyone can add stuff to the IMDB, unfortunately, a good deal of the info posted there can be questionable.  [ghost_sad]

And just another gentle reminder before things go OT, this topic is devoted to a discussion about the Depp/DS film's progress and development and the factors surrounding it. Discussing other films, TV shows or books in general terms as they might relate to the film is perfectly fine, but please don't get into specific likes or dislikes regarding them and/or discuss them independent of the Depp/DS film.  [ghost_smiley]  I loved Disney's The Scarecrow of Romney Marsh as a kid, but for this particular topic, any reference to it is going too OT.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Thanks MB for helping us stay "on track".  I wish we would hear some more about Deep Shadows.  I am just about to explode with anticipation. [violent4]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Based on the report that the guy who wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is also penning the new DS flick, I think we can safely assume that the script will explore some aspect of the story that hasn't really been explored/answered.  For example--what were Barnabas' feelings for Angelique versus Josette?  Methinks that alone is the stuff of juicy drama.  I mean, it was pretty clear they slept together, right?  Was Angelique his first?  Keep in mind Joshua Collins was something of a puritan and the Duprees no doubt protected their daughter's chastity with the same fervor the US looks after Fort Knox!  More--and wouldn't this be a kick in the head--was Barnabas her first?

Another aspect that never got too much attention before now was the idea of Barnabas trying to fit into the modern world.  Think about it--in 1795 the lightning rod was a controversial bit of technology and slavery was normal.  I don't think a single country on Earth allowed women the vote.  Today, the US presidential election including a woman and a black man as serious contenders!

How would Barnabas react to a car?  To the idea of an airplane?  What would he do if he saw a sunrise on a t.v. screen?  He doesn't even know what fingerprints are.  Computers are a total mystery to him (think about someone telling what to do with his mouse).  By his standards, women wonder around half naked.  Wonder what he'd think of the term "Gay Rights" and how he'd respond to the notion?

What does he do the first time he sees a toilet?

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
That last post made me think about "Escape From The Planet Of The Apes". Remember when they arrived on Earth and had to learn about our way of life. That's where the comedy of the film came from and for that film it worked. If they show Barnabas learning about the modern world I hope it's not play for comedy. If done right they could make us feel sorry for him. He could be a stranger in a strange land trying to learn about this new world and trying to keep anyone from finding out the truth about him. It's going to be hard keeping it from being comedy.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I would respond however I don't know "think" this is the place to talk about story ideas for the movie.  I did know that the writer wrote Charlie and the Chocolate Factory which I adored.