Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450107 times)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
  • DIVINE SUPERNAL SCEPTER
  • u r summoned by the powers of everlasting light!
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #45 on: July 28, 2007, 04:47:11 AM »
I would like a fresh story, with flash back maybe. That way we won't have all the comparison that  get tiring. To many of us Jonathan is our Barnabas, if it wasn't for him we might not have this board. The show would have died an early death.

It is almost like, if you read the book don't go see the movie.

Exactly.   Do we want to spend the rest of our lives seeing the introduction of Barnabas remade and remade and remade, as another series, a film, a stage show, a musical, a hologram, smellovision..... whatever comes along when we're 80...?     Maybe by 1969 instead of new storylines, they should have taken a couple more passes at the early Barnabas story. 

I think we need Barnabas even without Jonathan, though. 

MB... wow, I've never heard the idea that a faster pace was detrimental to quality and ratings.    I thought it was 1897 that had the fast pace, when the ratings were highest.     Then with Leviathans things slowed to a crawl, and ratings fell.    Viewers were practically being spoiled with a lot of plot per episode, and kids were rushing home so they didn't miss any.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2007, 05:15:54 AM »
MB... wow, I've never heard the idea that a faster pace was detrimental to quality and ratings.    I thought it was 1897 that had the fast pace, when the ratings were highest.

I'm sorry - I should have realized that what I was saying might not have been clear to everyone.  :-[  I was referring more to those who've cited the frantic pace of the production than to the often fast pace of the storylines. Several DS actors have cited the burnout they felt over the pace of production as a factor in DS' cancellation.

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2007, 05:33:43 AM »
Oh... okay.    I can't even relax watching it... I feel rushed and pressured just from knowing the actors are.    I wonder if there was any way to change that though.   Going off-topic I'm sure.
"One can never go wrong with weapons and drinks as fashion accessories."-- the eminent and clearly quotable Dark Shadows fan and board mod known as Mysterious Benefactor

Offline Cousin Barnabas

• Junior Poster
  • DARK SHADOWS FOREVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2007, 04:57:32 PM »
This is the best news I have heard in a long time!!  I was in Geek boy heaven yesterday! First I hear that Leonard Nimoy will play Spock again in the new Star Trek movie, Then I get my hands on the New direct to DVD Babylon 5 episode and then the cream in my fanboy coffee THE RETURN OF DARK SHADOWS!!!! Johnny Depp will do DS justice he is a big fan like all of us are!!
^v^  ^v^   ^v^ ^v^

Offline loril54

• Senior Poster
  • Long Live DS Fans
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 28, 2007, 05:25:48 PM »
http://www.bitsofnews.com/content/view/5905/

A new article, not just a rehash of the first.  Just thought that you would like to know.  ;D

Vote for Jonathan in the Walk of Fame.

http://www.canadaswalkoffame.com/nominate

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #50 on: July 28, 2007, 06:33:50 PM »
I'm scared by everything about the new Star Trek movie, too.

David

« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2007, 06:50:17 PM »
OK, who plays the other roles?

Angelique (Halle Berry with Island accent)
Josette (Jennifer Love Hewitt)

and, if it's not too much to hope for:

Countess Natalie (Kathryn Leigh Scott)
Abigail (Lara Parker)
Joshua (David Selby)
Ben Stokes (John Karlen)

and why not?
They're all doing the audio dramas!

and:
Lynn Redgrave as Naomi Collins 

David

RachelDrummand

« Reply #52 on: July 28, 2007, 06:59:19 PM »
Josette (Jennifer Love Hewitt)

:-

I almost want to see an unknown in that part...unless we could somehow go back in time and get Joanna Going to do the part again :)

Offline MagnusTrask

• * 100000 Poster!! *
    • View Profile
    • The Embryo Room
« Reply #53 on: July 28, 2007, 07:41:52 PM »
Roger: Biff Henderson
Willie: John Goodman
Angelique: Martha Stewart
Burke: Andy Dick
Liz: Kate Mulgrew (that might work)

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 28, 2007, 09:29:35 PM »
the casting speculation is about to go off the charts.

how will they ever find an actress that brings the preternatural naivety to the role of victoria that alexandra did?
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

David

« Reply #55 on: July 28, 2007, 09:52:03 PM »
 ;D
Lindsay Lohan?

Quote from: mscbryk
how will they ever find an actress that brings the preternatural naivety to the role of victoria that alexandra did?

ClaudeNorth

« Reply #56 on: July 28, 2007, 10:22:19 PM »
Personally, I hope that none of the original cast members is involved.  Nothing against them, but that sort of thing always feels like stunt casting to me.  The new DS movie will need to create its own vision of the DS universe and the presence of original cast members could be distracting.

There was a time when I would have loved to see friend-of-Depp Faye Dunaway as Elizabeth, but she's looking rather scary these days and not at all like the grande dame that she could have been if she hadn't gotten those scary caps on her teeth and the various facial "enhancements" that have left her face looking rather mask-like.  Still, she is a fine actress and one of the few in Hollywood who could convincingly play a regal matriarch.  Perhaps the producers would have to cast a British actress in the part, such as Helen Mirren or (as David suggested) Lynn Redgrave.  I don't know if there are any American actresses who allow themselves to look fifty-ish.   >:D

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 28, 2007, 11:32:55 PM »
I agree with you, John.  "Stunt casting" is the perfect phrase!

I can't help but think they will do the 1795 and "present" so th audience can see how barnabas was cursed and the curse would stick as long as Angelique was able to return.  It is unusual in vampire films for the audience to see how the vampire became a vampire and to see one so utterly torn between his memories of being human and his current life as a supernatural creature whose instinct is to kill.

Nancy

Personally, I hope that none of the original cast members is involved.  Nothing against them, but that sort of thing always feels like stunt casting to me.  The new DS movie will need to create its own vision of the DS universe and the presence of original cast members could be distracting.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2007, 04:33:35 AM »
My first post on this topic. Some random thoughts.

Deep down I am disappointed that the new project is not a television series. A movie merely has a beginning and two ours later it is over and that is it. However, no doubt it is a huge victory for the DS franchise and its fans and hopefully to the restoration project.

Depp had to realize when he accepted this role that since DS is a saga, he will need to be available for the sequels if the first one does well.

I hope it does not take years for all concerned parties to approve the script-the next Indiana Jones movie had something like 4 scripts that needed to be commissioned.

Will DCP have any  creative input on the movie? Secondly, my understanding is that DCP licensed Depp's people to only do the movie but kept the rights to do other possible DS projects such as a new TV series?

Who ever was smart enough to trademark the darkshadows-themovie.com website might make some money.

Glad MGM is not involved in this movie.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2007, 05:55:40 AM »
The following Web posting:

The Daily Record - NEWS - News Feed - JOHNNY DEATH

seems to think Depp will be working on the DS film in January. Possibly. And that might be great. But it seems more like wishful thinking from an overly anxious Scot.  :-