Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449490 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
YAY!  I am glad the thought th VICTORIA/JOSETTE thing is the right way to go :) HEE!!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
...he did say that the movie was definitely going to happen-that this is not just one of those deals that you hear about * that a studio bought the rights from someone to film a movie; that he expects the movie to be released within two years; that the dvd release of the 2 DS movies were directly tied into the movie's release and said that he hoped by this time next year the dvds will be released; that there was hope by WB that the movie would lead into a DS movie franchise...

*emphasis mine

Sounds great, I hope he's right.

"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Here's an update on Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland: http://www.zap2it.com/movies/news/zap-wasikowskaaliceinwonderlandcasting,0,6635930.story  According to the article, this movie goes into production in November, and then he'll still have to do Frankenweenie.

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
IF Burton is going to direct, I have no idea how we're going to see, as Jim Pierson claims, a Depp/DS film released within the next two years. As I've said before, it already seems as if Burton's current commitments are enough if not more than enough of a workload to keep him very busy for two years. But I suppose we'll see how things pan out...

Thanks, ProfStokes, for posting a link to another Burton update.

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
 [ghost_cheesy] 'That man can ramble'.  I like your response Midnite!  All of the fests that I've attended and ever had to ask Mr Pierson anything, I always got the most abbreviated, cost-saving answer.  For some reason there always seems to be a great hesitancy to impart any information.  [ghost_azn]
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
IF Burton is going to direct, I have no idea how we're going to see, as Jim Pierson claims, a Depp/DS film released within the next two years. As I've said before, it already seems as if Burton's current commitments are enough if not more than enough of a workload to keep him very busy for two years. But I suppose we'll see how things pan out...

Well if it takes longer than 2 years than at least we know JOHNNY DEEP will still be smokin', unless perhaps he falls apart all of the sudden.   The man is ageless at this point.  He looks like a perfectly perserved 35 year old IMO.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
yes he is aging well i HOPE i can as good as he is. when i'm his age i mean. 2 yrs? that's too LONG buut what can ya do ya know? i'd  rather have burton  Finish  Alice in wonderland than do "DS"  forget "Frankenweenie" that's a film he already made ya know? why remake it? it's stupid. personally i've NEVER seen it buut i can remember it coming on VHS back in the day. & i also LOVED 'Midnight's" response boy can THAT man ramble. he he  CLASSIC!   & i can at times do that as well, but than don't we all?   [ghost_tongue2]

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, the first anniversary of the announcement of this project has come and gone without much progress being made. We can certainly blame the writers' strike for much of that - but let's hope not many more anniversaries pass before we get to see a finished film...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Happy Anniversary DEEP SHADOWS :)  Yep the stupid writers strike!!  I can't be too mad though without GOOD writers your show/movie is crap not matter how dazzling the FX's are!!   So here's to hoping Johnny and Co get it right!!!

Tae

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Are you saying that JP is once again being his overly optimistic self? lol  And yes Midnite the rambler has it down to a science.This article by the distinguished The Sun j/k claims that filming for Alice begins next year and that Depp will star in it. So who really knows anything at this point?

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/bizarre/article1476667.ece

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
In the Depp world, we have heard rumblings of Johnny possibly being in Alice In Wonderland, but it has not been reported officially.  Like you, jimbo, I am errrrrrrrrr, a little skeptical about this Sun report, because it doesn't name any names giving an official statement.  Nevertheless, the Sun article seems to have been picked up by a lot of other gossip publications today.  But as I said, we've heard previous rumblings so this could be true.  Whether or not Johnny will be in it, it's definite that Tim will be tied up with it for awhile either way.  However, I heard fairly recently that the filming is due to start this November, so I don't know if the Sun is correct in stating that filming will start next year.

Also today, I saw part of an interview with a representative of Infinitum Nihil, Johnny's production company.  Dark Shadows is briefly mentioned, and unfortunately the guy is laughing at DS's production values, but I don't know if he realized how short a time they had to prepare to get the show on EVERY DAY, and how they could usually not do retakes.  Anyhow, it was nice to see the mention from an actual member of IN.  The other interesting thing about the interview is that he mentions a few films in the pipeline, including Shantaram, which most of us think will be Johnny's next film to shoot.  But when asked which films he'll star in, the rep says probably only Rex Mundi (which is another graphic novel in the pipeline).  Neglecting to include Shantaram for Johnny to star in could just be an oversight (even though he had just mentioned that film), but it's possible that due to all the delays for that film, he may have bowed out of starring in that one without us knowing.  That'd be news to us, but may ease his filming schedule a bit, because that was going to be a long shoot, with some filming taking place in India and Morocco.  So, I guess we'll have to see about all of this, and I fear that there will be no concrete news until after the SAG/actors' strike situation is totally resolved.

Oh, almost forgot the link to the interview- it's with Jeff Taplin of Infinitum Nihil:
http://www.theblackhollywoodfiles.com/2008/07/part-deux-of-my-interview-with.html

Cathy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Hi cousin madscntst. I don't know if The Sun is known for its reliable news reporting. I enjoyed the article you posted. Nice catch. My interpretation is that the Infinitum Nihil representative was clear when he said that Johnny would only be doing Rex Mundi for them. Again that is just how I interpreted his words. If JD does not film Shantarum then perhaps the DS movie may be pushed up a bit although as we know there are many other factors that may impact on its filming. Regarding the Alice movie it was previously reported that principal photography will begin this November. I don't know if the Sun is referring to the live action shots to be filmed next year. I don't really know the movie  process and how much time normally elapses between the principal photography and the live action filming. Maybe we can have another new DS movie panel with JP to find out less information. Bad joke.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Oh I forgot to mention that it was disappointing that Jeff took a shot at the original DS. Hopefully he was joking but still it wasn't in his best interest to devalue the franchise he is helping resurrect.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
My interpretation is that the Infinitum Nihil representative was clear when he said that Johnny would only be doing Rex Mundi for them. Again that is just how I interpreted his words.

That's how I interpreted his words, too!  It's just that before this, to my knowledge there hasn't even been an inkling that he might not star in Shantaram, so I am still wondering if somehow I'm understanding the IN guy wrong (or if his words might've been transcribed wrong).  I guess we'll find out sooner or later!

As to the dig at the DS production values, I didn't interpret that in a mean-spirited way- he almost seemed to be saying that the boom mics in the shot and the wobbly sets (maybe he saw some of those scenes with the tombstones shaking back and forth  [ghost_wink] ) were part of the show's charm.  And heck, this is a lot of why *we* like the show too- I love the bloopers tapes and all the fun stories from the cast!  Still, it might've been nice if he'd also added something about the tight schedule and tighter budget, and what they were able to accomplish with what they had.  But oh well, it was only a small part of the interview so I guess they can't talk about everything!

As to JP, well, I have been out of the loop in recent years but remember the guy from the 90's and the 2 fests I attended back then.  Sounds like the same ol' fellow  [ghost_smiley]

Cathy

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I didn't take his comment offensive at all. I think it's hard to determine someone emotion behind their words through print anyhow.  That is why I think sometimes people take things wrong on Forums etc. They can't hear you saying it they just read it.