Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449874 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I've read one of the worse remakes Burton directed is "Planet of The Apes". I just hope he doesn't add
the new DS movie into the list of worst remakes.

Burton's Planet of the Apes was a decent financial success (a bit over $180 million - though the studio was hoping for more), but it was savaged by many critics, primarily over its script, and primarily over the script's lack of character development. However, one thing it did get was praise for its striking visuals. I've never seen it, but I noticed that Fox will be running it on June 20th at 8pm. If I'm not doing anything else that night, I might tune in just out of curiosity...

Thankfully John August was in no way involved with the PotA script.  [ghost_smiley]  And if the script really was as bad as the critics claimed, hopefully none of the people involved in writing it will ever get involved in the Depp/DS film.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This is definitely OT, BUT it's a perfect example of how movies, and in particular adaptations of TV shows can go through years of development and script rewrites.
(And apparently there's no word yet on just who might play First Officer.  [b003])

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I was never a big Planet of the Apes fan, but I'll be in the minority and say I liked Burton's film and the performances in it (especially Bonham-Carter's) - I just didn't care for the twist in the ending.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I thought I had doubts about Tim Burton's possible participation in the Depp/DS film, but mine are nothing compared to this guy's: Well... there goes my interest in that

Though considering that we now know that Burton hasn't officially signed on yet, just perhaps his rant is all for naught...

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
I saw Burton's version of Planet of the Apes on TV.  I didn't dislike it; I'm really not sure how I felt about it.  To me, it seemed that the main problem was that he wasn't sure in what way he wanted to go with it.  Pierre Boulle's original novel (literally translated from French as "Monkey Planet") had the simians living in a pretty-much 20th century technological world, driving cars, going to work, tossing laundry into the clothes washer, etc., with humans being mute animals (save for the astronaut who crashes onto their world).  The first screenplay, scripted by Rod Serling for the original film version starring Charlton Heston (don't forget to look for his cameo appearance in Burton's version), followed Boulle's concept of a modern-day simian world (a fascinating screen test with Edward G. Robinson as Dr. Zaius shows this), but for several reasons this was dropped and in its place came the more primitive ape world; most of Boulle's plot had been discarded with only certain characters remaining; yet, the story remained intriguing and logical.  Burton's often appears confusing and jumbled basically because of the interactions of apes and humans.  Humans are not mute animals; for the most part they are intelligent, articulate, social creatures who are, while viewed as inferior, are more like slaves to the ruling apes than just mere animals.  Somehow, this whole concept just didn't really click. 

I'm not sure what this has all got to do with any possible vision Burton might have for Dark Shadows, but I'm hoping that Depp will keep a close eye on what will be going on and make sure he reigns in anything he might think is going askew and doesn't let Burton's DS become Burton's POTA.

Gerard

Offline Barnabas'sBride

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
He obviously doesn't like Burton much, period. He doesn't have doubts, he just dismisses a Burton DS movie outright, and whether it's mediocre or absolutely fabulous, he probably wouldn't like it because it would be Burton's work.

I don't agree with his views on Depp/Burton team ups at all. Not when movies like Sleepy Hollow and Sweeney Todd exist. [ghost_cool]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Regarding the blogger mentioned above, I doubt that he gets many visitors.

Regarding Shadowgram 184, it seems kind of ironic that the Johnny Depp role as Barnabas is indicated to be more definitive than the media's position that Burton is more confirmed as director than Depp as Barnabas. Easy for you to say. jk Based on this issue the script is not yet completed and hopefully more news about the movie will be released at the Fest which is actually right around the corner.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Thanks for the link to that blog, but I think this guy is ridiculous.   He obviously hates all of Burton's movies, and he has the right to that opinion.  But he's crazy if he thinks Johnny's career is being hampered by his association with Tim.  I guess Michael Mann didn't get the memo when he cast Johnny in Public Enemies, which I'm hoping is going to be a huge success!   As I've said, I initially had some reservations about Tim directing Dark Shadows, but only because I wasn't sure if he would give the right tone to the film.  I am somewhat more confident now after Sweeney Todd.  But in general, I can't see that the Depp-Burton collaborations have failed in any way!

What I find amusing is that the blogger points to all of Johnny's "mature" work and yet doesn't say a word about Captain Jack Sparrow  [ghost_wink]

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I don't mean to change the subject, but I'm wondering if the movie is going to show the characters
using cell phones and you might see a home computer inside of Collinwood. That is if the story is going
to take place in the present 21st Century (2010 or 11).

Offline Mark Rainey

• Full A ed Newest Fervor Post
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • The Realm
I tend to like Burton's movies well enough, but now and again, he really puts out a stinker -- PLANET OF THE APES coming foremost to mind. Unmitigated crap, other than the visual effects. I'm still leery of him helming a DS movie, though, as even his better efforts aren't known for the subtle hand I think would work best for DS. And I can't help but foresee way too much CGI for my liking. Judgment must be reserved, however; can't criticize something that's barely hit the drawing board.

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Thanks, MB, for that link!  That magazine looks fascinating.

I always wonder if "staple holes" along the lines of those poor Maggie Evans had to endure in hoDS appear in the neck of somebody out in H'wood who's been "attached" to a project.  We live in perilous times!

G.

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
I can't really see much CGI being put into the DS movie. Where would it even be appropriate other than maybe Barnabas changing from human form to bat form and other types of supernatural effects that might have to do with ghosts or even Angelique and whatever spells she might conjure up. Realisticly, if the film is done right, the film shouldn't really rely on these effects too much anyway, because DS was always more drama than effects.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
I don't mean to change the subject, but I'm wondering if the movie is going to show the characters
using cell phones and you might see a home computer inside of Collinwood. That is if the story is going

That's an interesting question.  I would imagine that an average amount of technology would be shown for present storylines, but I do hope they won't go overboard to make Collinwood or even Collinsport *too* high tech.  One of the things I appreciated about the short 1995 storyline is that they didn't try to make everything look futuristic.  It just showed that even 25 years into the future, small towns don't change that much, and I like that traditional feel to DS.

As for the CGI, I think I recall Tim Burton saying that the green screen gives him a headache  [ghost_wink]  He does use some CGI but I think he prides himself on keeping it to the minimum.  Where possible, he likes to build sets that are as real and complete as possible so that the actors can respond to the real environment they're in and not fake everything in front of a green screen.  Of course, as mentioned, there would probably have to be some CGI-- morphing, ghosts stepping out of portraits, or what have you.

Cathy

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
I'm wondering if the movie is going to show the characters

heaven's forbid.   It should be in the 60s.    NO CELL PHONES OR COMPUTERS IN COLLINWOOD.   (although, can you imagine Julia Hoffman (Grayson) fiddling with her blackberry when she doesn't have her gloves!)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

In the 2004 pilot one of the major characters attempted to use her cellular phone but that was not at Collinwood. I can't at the moment remember if any other modern devices were used in the pilot. But in any event we don't know what direction this movie script will take.