Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447145 times)

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks, Jimbo.  Yes, it sounds like the script is more complete than anyone has been letting on since the film was announced.  I agree -- patching is better than if he were just starting the script -- LOL!

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
MB you are right about possibly doubting the aintitcool's website indicating they had already known about August as the screenwriter for the DS movie. That does not pass the smell test

Actually, I wasn't really implying doubt about AintItCool's claim - I was simply saying that if what they posted is actually true, then that certainly makes it appear as if John August has been involved with the Depp/DS film for longer than any of us have known - and no one has reported it until Peter Segal (perhaps inadvertently) let it slip to IESB and they went with it. A situation like that could lend some credence to the idea that TPTB involved in the Depp/DS film may not have wanted it publicly known until they were ready to make it so, perhaps at the Fest.

Regarding DCP, I thought it did still exist on paper as a corporation but my main point is that Kennedy is listed as a producer for this film and may have known about the recent developments.

I'm sure Kennedy does. He wouldn't be much of a producer if he doesn't.  [ghost_grin]  It's just that nowadays he has his own production company, Kennedy Films. We learned that last year about a month before we learned about the Depp/DS film deal:
President Of DCP Forms Own Production Company

This article says John August "has been working on patching up the script."  Now what does that mean?  Does that mean he wrote it and is just fixing it up a bit more or does that mean someone else wrote it and he's patching up someone else's script?  If someone else wrote it, who was it?

Given that everyone's source is IESB's report, and that's not the phrasing they used, it may mean nothing much. John August is frequently the go-to guy to polish previously written scripts (he polished the script for Burton's Corpse Bride), so whoever composed the post on FirstShowing.net may have simply had a slip of the tongue, er, a slip of the fingers out of force of habit at having written that in regard to August so many other times that they chose to say "patching up" as opposed to "writing" or "trying to work on" (which is IESB's phrasing). It's only natural that most sites want to make the wording of their posts their own instead of simply copying their source word for word.

And the author of one of the replies refers to DS as "The Shads" -- ?!?!?!   Now I watched this show in the original run and I've been involved in fandom since 1990 and I've never heard of DS called The Shads -- have I been left out some sort of elite inner circle?  LOL!!

The Shads is a new one on me. I can't say I've ever heard anyone say it or seen anyone write it before you brought it to our attention. But I sort of like it.  [ghost_wink]

Maybe we should change the name of the forum to The Shads Forum?

Um - on second thought, no.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Sorry MB that I misinterpreted your position on the ainitcool website concerning its claim that it had already known about John August being the DS screenwriter. This article in December, 07, August had stated at his website that he was working on a secret Tim Burton live action movie project and he himself could not divulge its name. Was it DS?

http://www.timburtoncollective.com/2007/12/john-august-hinting-at-unknown-future.html

It seems everyone connected with the DS project wanted its development progress to be kept one big secret.

In any event these are very good times for the DS franchise.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
This article in December, 07, August had stated at his website that he was working on a secret Tim Burton live action movie project and he himself could not divulge its name. Was it DS?

Certainly sounds like it could be. But if so, then SG has either really been out of the loop or keeping the secret for a long time. I mean, if August became attached way back in December of '07, then things have really been kept under wraps. But it would certainly appear to be all out now - at least "unofficially" - and probably all because Peter Segal didn't realize he wasn't supposed to say anything.  [ghost_wink]  The interesting thing, though is that they probably wouldn't have been able to say anything back in December because the writers' strike was still going on. They probably wouldn't have been able to say anything until after February 12th when the vote was taken to end the strike - and August certainly wouldn't have been able to work on the script until after that date.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
It almost sounds like an episode of the X-Files with conspiracies to hide the truth. OK I am exaggerating a bit. I guess the truth will soon reveal itself. It does seem now that this was accidentally leaked to the media. I don't know how long TPTB intended to keep this a secret independent of the upcoming Fest.  If August began writing the script in February then possibly the script is close to being finished.

Thought I pass this article along. Just wished the writer liked NODS.

http://chud.com/articles/blogs/527/Dark-Shadows-Depp-and-Burton----A-good-match.html

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
What's really unfortunate is that he chooses to focus on all the things about the original show that are truly incidental to those of us who are so swept away by the storylines that we barely notice them. But, sadly, he's not alone in that.  ::)

However, when it comes to the Depp/DS film, he makes a good point about both Burton and Depp being drawn to stories about loners and outsiders and that sensibility being perfect for a vampire story. It's one of the things I'm holding onto since learning of Burton's involvement. I also like his idea of Hugh Jackman playing Quentin - though I suspect that if the film is actually lucky enough to launch a DS franchise, Jackman might not exactly be up for playing Quentin when he's already so well known as Wolverine and that character and Quentin have many similarities...

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
When Panarotti mentioned about Hugh Jackman playing Quentin, are they going to include Quentin in
the movie? Because I believed the movie is going to be about Barnabas being release from his chained
coffin at the beginning.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
If only Lara Paker had had the foresight to use the artwork accompanying this report: Burton Steps Into Depp’s Dark Shadows!  [ghost_wink]

Having not seen Sweeny Todd yet, I have no idea who Jayne Wisener is or what her performance in the film is like. Would she actually be a good choice for Vicki?

And it seems I'm not the only one who has a bit of concern over August's involvement: Depp's Dark Shadows Writer And Director Revealed. And this one shares my bit of concern over Burton's involvement: Tim Burton Directing 'Dark Shadows?', though for different reasons. But as I said, it's best to keep an open mind - especially when we know absolutely nothing about the direction the script will take or what Burton will do with it...

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Thanks for the explanation about August, MB.  I like your and Jimbo's idea that maybe the DS movie was August's secret project -- it makes me feel better to think that maybe the script has been worked on all along instead of the whole project being in limbo like we've been led to believe.  I hope we do get an official announcement at the Fest of actual developments moving forward -- woo hoo!  LOL!

The Shads Forums -- *shudder*[nerv]!  LOL!

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
This type of information leak actually seems pretty typical to me.  As (I think) I've mentioned in the past, the filmmakers and studios are not always forthcoming about where things stand regarding a film, especially early in development.  I don't know if it's outright "tell our secret and you'll die" secrecy, or just that they would prefer to keep things under wraps until they're further along.  So many times in Hollywood, things fall through.  They have no reason to go out of their way to let the public or the fans know what's going on at an early stage (before the script is done, or a location chosen, or a timeframe for filming is set), because things might very well change anyway.  I don't really think there is any advantage to them spilling any beans until such a time as the film is officially announced to start filming.  At that point, of course, they'll want to start advertising.  On the other hand, little remarks made in passing, like that director did, is a great way to hear little tidbits now and then.

Now that the info has spilled, they might consider making an official statement, just to confirm or correct it.  I hope like you all do that there will be something official said at the Fest.  However, I wouldn't be too surprised if whatever they were to say would still be vague, for now.  I'll be crossing my fingers, though!

Hugh Jackman would seem a great choice for Quentin (if there is one in this film).  I've been rooting for Cillian Murphy all this time  [ghost_smiley]

Cathy

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Oh, I forgot to answer about Jayne Wisener (who played Johanna in Sweeney Todd).  She's a beautiful young woman, but Sweeney Todd was her first professional job, and I believe she was cast because of her singing and not acting.  Besides singing one song, she only had maybe a half dozen lines, so it's very hard to tell if she could handle a larger role.  Her usual speaking voice is a very thick Irish accent... she was able to sound more or less British for the film, but I don't know if she'd be able to swing an American accent.  She has presence, though, and she was very lovely in the interviews she gave. 

My guess is they'd use someone with more experience for Vicki, but that's just a guess.

Cathy

Offline Master Tad Collins

• View Profile
Does anyone know the degree to which Dan Curtis Productions will have say or input into the Depp movie or have the rights been sold?

Offline Willie Loomis

• Senior Poster
  • willie rocks!
    • View Profile
i think that johnny depp should ask katheryn Leigh Scott
« Reply #312 on: June 05, 2008, 05:45:04 PM »
to portray Elizabeth Collins Stoddard.  Macia Gay Harden would be a good one, but Kathryn Leigh Scott has a more softer tone to her and can be "caustic" in character, when she wants to be.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
Master Tad Collins,

Here is one post that will answer your question, beginning with this 3rd paragraph:

Also, unless things have changed since last year at this time, ...

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
While I'm delighted to read that a screenwriter and director are now rumored to be attached to the Depp DS project, I'm still not going to get overly excited for the simple fact that both Depp and Burton already have stuff lined up for themselves. Also, because of the sheer volume of projects that garner attention and then subsequently die for one reason or another, I don't want to get all excited only to have my hopes dashed. Lest I remind anyone of the 04 WB DS Pilot that was practically near completion before it was shut down because the suits didn't like the look of it. Has the WB learned their lesson? Let's hope.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran