Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449503 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #2385 on: May 11, 2011, 12:06:04 AM »
A)  Who is Mrs. Johnson?

We don't even know if there is a Mrs. Johnson in the film.

I went over to watch shooting.  And what did I see/hear?  Well, I saw them practicing the first scene in which Michelle Pfeiffer is on the Collinwood set.  She looked great in a long flowing black evening gown, but I didn't like what I heard.  She was singing: "I'm creeping, crawling down the stairs in Collinwood Mansion.  I'm creeping, crawling down the stairs to see who's at the door..."

It was horrifying - but really funny at the same time.  Needless to say, Burton had turned DS into a musical

Now you know what it was like when I had my dancing/singing skeletons and clowns dream.  [ghost_wink]  Though while I was having it, there wasn't anything funny about my dream.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2386 on: May 11, 2011, 06:00:29 AM »
The Mrs. Johnson problem needs to be fixed.  She is the glue that holds this show together. 

Exactly!  That's why I had to share.  Funny how we all have dreams about singing and dancing.  We all know that the only way we would have that is if Buzz were in this film...   [ghost_wink]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #2387 on: May 11, 2011, 12:29:52 PM »
I think Johnny did mention once that he was in a sauna when he was dreaming up the Jack Sparrow character, because he was thinking of the guy getting a bit of heat stroke on a ship on the seas, hence the wobbly walk.  I don't know if it's a general thing, though  [ghost_wink]

For what it's worth, I am watching a live stream of the Moscow press conference right now (7:30 a.m. Eastern time) and sure enough, the question of the sauna came up.  He confirmed that he has thought up "a couple" of his characters there- "there's something about the sensory deprivation."  He didn't specify which ones, though.  No questions about DS yet- it's pretty much all about Pirates.  The stream is here, but I don't know how much longer it'll last.

http://www.livestream.com/piratespremiere

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #2388 on: May 11, 2011, 12:41:25 PM »
^^^yes, it's over already- less than 40 min. for the press conference, and no DS content :(   But there really weren't many questions asked, because of the language barrier and the time for translations, etc.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2389 on: May 11, 2011, 04:49:28 PM »
Here is my thought on what Johnny recently said.  When the studio execs saw how he was playing Captain Jack Sparrow they were horrified and thought he acted like a gay pirate. He convinced them to let him continue playing Jack his way and look what we have now;  a fourth movie and a franchise which has made probably at least a billion dollars.  So I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves me otherwise.  And I am sure that will be after I see the movie! ;)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2390 on: May 11, 2011, 05:14:00 PM »
Thanks so much for reporting on the Moscow press conference, madscntst.  [ghost_smiley]

Changing reels:
I was just over on Bella Heathcote's Twitter account looking to see if she'd tweeted anything about being in London, but nothing yet.

I'm really surprised that there hasn't been a peep out of Bella Heathcote on Twitter considering that she'd tweeted a few times about how excited she was about going to London. However, and I hope it isn't the case, but perhaps she didn't actually go to London when she was expecting to, or if she did, she isn't feeling well enough to fool around with Twitter because last week she'd also tweeted that she was sick - and she hasn't tweeted a thing since the 7th. But maybe it's just that she's been too busy to tweet...

If she is too sick or too busy to tweet, though, that's too bad because I suspect this week might turn out to be when we're going to get the most interesting tweets about the film that we're likely to get. Once shooting actually begins, everyone is going to be bound by Burton's confidentiality agreement, so there won't be much they'll be allowed to tell us. Well, beyond things like "I met/worked with Johnny Depp today" or "I shot a great scene today that I can't say anything about".  [ghost_sad]  At least costume fittings and hair and make-up discussions sound interesting before shooting actually begins.  [ghost_cheesy]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #2391 on: May 11, 2011, 06:29:12 PM »
From IMDb, someone posted a pic of Johnny in Moscow- check out what he's carrying in his right hand!!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2392 on: May 11, 2011, 07:06:28 PM »
Very nice. You've said that Depp often does something like that to prepare for his characters - and there's the proof!  [ghost_wink]  Thanks for sharing.  [ghost_smiley]

I wonder if that's the actual prop he'll use in the film? Time will tell...

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #2393 on: May 11, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »

I wonder if that's the actual prop he'll use in the film? Time will tell...

That would be my guess.  He's a prop lover, and he's producing, so nobody is going to deny him permission to take it with him  [ghost_wink]   It doesn't look to me like a replica from the series- in fact, hard to tell at this size, but the wolf's head doesn't look silver to me  (Maybe he won't need to come across any werewolves in this film, lol).  There is some carving or decoration a few inches down the straight portion, so we can see if that will be in the film version. 

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2394 on: May 11, 2011, 08:33:13 PM »
The wolf's head on the cane looks like it's supposed to be made of ivory. Actually, I think I like it better than the original silver one.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #2395 on: May 11, 2011, 08:59:50 PM »
Here it is in motion- a quick glimpse of Penelope Cruz and Javier Bardem, followed by Johnny and the cane :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-3CZ6nKNhf0

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2396 on: May 11, 2011, 09:01:30 PM »
Very nice madscntst-thanks for sharing. Interesting they are not going with the silver but they must have their creative reasoning to go with the ivory like finish.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2397 on: May 11, 2011, 09:53:35 PM »
Nice to see something from the film that looks terrific other than the cast.  Great new take on the cane.  Very ornate. 

Offline Janet the Wicked

• Senior Poster
  • These pretzels are making me thirsty!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2398 on: May 12, 2011, 12:23:50 AM »
He looks terribly gaunt.
I get a kick out of these guys who think they're so clean, when all the time they're trying to cover up their dirt.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2399 on: May 12, 2011, 12:58:05 AM »
It must be the way the photo was taken because he doesn't look that gaunt in the photos from the other premiers last week.