Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 446518 times)

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
It's very hard for me to come up with a movie that has no humor. Even "Saving Private Ryan" had humor. I haven't heard from any DS fans that don't want any humor in the movie. Even the best horror films have humor. My fear is that it's going to be a comedy. When someone that has read the script says it's "very, very funny" I think comedy.

If it is a comedy, dark or otherwise, I hope it's a very smart comedy.
May you die before you want too.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
if i'm taking the temperature correctly it seems like most of us were hoping for a pulpy gothic soap with elements of classic horror.

it seems like we're getting a black comedy. the word "funny" has been used too often by too many of the participants to really think otherwise. i could be dead wrong but that's how it feels to me.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
I think you're right and I'm hoping we're both wrong.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Well, IF it is a black comedy, it's a scary and bloody black comedy that's also a relationship story with touches of the poetic.  [snow_wink]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
The more and more I think about it as long as Dark Shadows is a good movie I don't mind at all if it's a dark comedy.  Then again we never know what Tim and Johnny have up their sleeves. They could have coached these actors to say certain things.  We just don't know enough about to the script to really nail it down......

As usual...I am remaining optimistic! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Nightfall59

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
it seems like we're getting a black comedy. the word "funny" has been used too often by too many of the participants to really think otherwise. i could be dead wrong but that's how it feels to me.

I'm inclined to agree. Way too many "funny" comments for me to believe otherwise. Not that this necessarily has to be a bad thing or an indication that they will be making fun of original DS in a mean or spiteful way. Just not what many of us were expecting or hoping for. Time will tell.
"Not without you. NEVER without you."
Barnabas to Julia, 1970

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
All this talk of vampires and funny are conjuring up images of "Love at First Bite" with George Hamilton. The DS movie will be set in the 70's mind you! Maybe Johnny loves the nightlife AND he's got to boogie. (We'll see.)

I can't see going to all the trouble of hiring this caliber of talent to make the new movie even in the realm of a farce... Johnny's own words about admiring Frid's iconic performance and his version will be close to that has me sold that he and Timbo will get it right. (OK I admit I'm still crossing my fingers!)
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
Silence of the Lambs is funny.  So is Dexter.  I'm just saying...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I was thinking about it last night while viewing JF's second episode where he meets Liz and Victoria.  If Johnny plays him in those paramaters I think we have a great movie on our hands! I agree Robot Quentin...I still have my fingers crossed.

Perpetually optimistic here..... [snow_wink]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Hey guys...Sorry I didn't get time to modify.   

I still have to remind myself that apparently KLS has read Dark Shadows.  It seems plausible that Johnny perhaps wanted some of the originals to see read the script and see what they think of it. I mean he is FAN of the show and I feel that he would in no way want to disrespect the legacy nor the cast.

I think it's safe to say that KLS is outspoken and she would not say on a whim.  That is reassuring to me as well....

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Frankly Taeylor... as far as KLS publicly expressed opinion about anything goes, I wouldn't rely too much on what she said about that script.

While I don't exactly think of her as Little Mary Sunshine, I do remember this one occasion at one of the 1980s Festivals.  KLS was gushing about the wonderful atmosphere in the studio and how everyone there was just one big happy family.  At some point she stopped; there was a pregnant pause, and then Joan arched an eyebrow and said something like: "Really, dear.  Remind me again which show YOU worked on?"

Just sayin'.

Cheers, Cousin GothEEEK

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I haven't followed all of the links on this thread, so I apologize if this info. is old news.  I haven't seen it discussed yet on the forum.

A friend of mine who works in the graphic arts industry forwarded me the following story from her animation newsletter (I'm trying to find out the name of the publication):

"The cast for Tim Burton's DARK SHADOWS fills out even more. Deadline.com
first reports that Chloe Moretz (KICK-ASS) is in negotiations to play
Carolyn, the daughter of Elizabeth Collins Stoddard (Michelle Pfeiffer),
the hermetic owner of the Collinwood mansion.

In another post, Deadline.com writes that Gulliver McGrath (HUGO CABRET)
is set to play David Collins, the cousin of Moretz's potential
character. Michael Sheen will play his father, Roger Collins, who fears
that someone is trying to kill him.

The cast also includes Johnny Deep, Bella Heathcoate, Jackie Earle
Haley, Eva Green, and Helena Bonham Carter. Seth Grahame-Smith penned
the script."

The bit about Roger is one of the first references to the actual content of the script that I've seen so far and it sounded like an interesting shift. 

ProfStokes

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
That's definitely news to me. Thanks for sharing it.  [snow_smiley]  And unless I've been blind, I don't believe deadline.com has ever reported that bit about Roger on their site. The only thing I recall them saying about him is that he's "the conniving brother" of Liz.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I actually see the "sort-of black comedy" angle playing out rather well if they go with the whole paranoid Roger angle.  

I think it's fascinating how much material we have seen referenced from the earliest parts of the series in these articles about the movie.  I do hope that Liz is indeed a recluse and that Roger is indeed fearful of [spoiler]missing auto parts.[/spoiler] If all this is true, forget about Barnabas.  Just give me the rest of the family.  (I'm only half joking here.)

Offline ProfStokes

• * Ingenious Intellect *
  • Senior Poster
    • View Profile
The newsletter is called "Animation Flash" and it's available through Animation World Network. Here's the original link to the article: http://www.awn.com/news/acting/hit-girl-descends-dark-shadows-more

Cousin_Barnabas, you've given me an idea.  Suppose we find out that [spoiler]Roger's fears are justified and that David and Carolyn (a la David and Amy) are both trying to kill him--because "Quentin" told them to.[/spoiler]  This could easily become the cliffhanger setting up a second movie while combining multiple elements from different points in the original series.

ProfStokes