Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447205 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'd rather they go with the creepy kids approach as opposed to an older Carolyn, personally.  Older Carolyn could get very boring at times, though I loved Nancy Barrett.  Carolyn was most exciting in the pre-Barnabas episodes.  But that was when she had a man like Burke Devlin to hang around.  Little Carolyn would be fascinating to see, especially her interactions with David.

However, in response to LOOKE's question, I hope they avoid the Frankenstein bit.  It was the key turning point in the original series, and I have always resented it.  It managed to hijack the Barnabas love story and turn it into a science-fiction monster mash, which, while certainly fun, was a huge departure from anything we saw before 1795.  So, I'd hope that a sequel would either be a return to 1795 or the Haunting of Collinwood (Quentin).   

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I would much rather have a Quentin story. While I love 1968 I don't want to see it again it was mess at times.

I would like to point out that I am so glad the board is moderated and people are civil.  FB is getting some really hateful stuff on it with people marking X's through Johnny's face and saying nasty things.  I have now deleted these people.  They are closed minded and you can't reason with any of them at all!   These people were acquaintances not friends.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
in the original series...and to a lesser extent the revival...the crux of the carolyn character was that she was a teenage girl on the precipice of womanhood. it was the driving force behind most of the decisions she made.

so a much younger version of that character totally changes her nature. and we can assume the whole subplot of barnabas biting her and placing her under his control will be completely absent.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the links, jimbo.  [snow_smiley]

Interesting that unlike the other cast members, she rates two reports - one a normal report and the other tying into her "huge " remark.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
A bit late on this (because the Google Alert came in yesterday but I didn't check my e-mail yesterday) but in an interview with New York Magazine that's mostly about Camelot, Eva Green confirms that she will be using an American accent for Angelique. Of course, she's already intimated as much elsewhere, though some fans on various blogs had chosen to believe that she was actually speaking of Lara Parker's Angelique during the Leviathans storyline and not her own character in the Depp/DS film.

Check out: CHAT ROOM: Camelot’s Eva Green on Sex Scenes and Paganism
(Scroll down to "You also do a pretty good English accent.")

Changing reels, a couple other remarks:

I'd be surprised if the Depp/DS film went the cattle attack route. At first the original DS was very skittish about having human attacks take place, so that was the only reason the cattle business was even brought into things. But vampire stories have no such skittishness these days.  [snow_wink]

And if any sequels do come along, and if they were to base them in some part on the original series, I'd love to see them completely skip the whole Adam business. The '91 Series was going to completely skip it, mostly because they believed a cured Barnabas was a far less interesting Barnabas. I could see why Burton and Co. might possibly like the idea because the exploration of Barn's humanity could be meaty - but I would think they'd have to have the Adam cure ultimately fail with Barn somehow becoming recursed. However, I'd much prefer to see them move on to Quentin's haunting - or to even go in some completely new direction not done on the original series.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
b.t.w. perez hilton reported on the carolyn casting yesterday.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
The movie only going to be two hours or so long.  No way the entire plotline from the series--which lasted over twenty hours or more just from the time Barnabas showed up to Maggie's escape--can fit into all that.  Of course characters and situations will be adapted, altered, etc.  They have to be!  So Carolyn won't fit into the same storylines as in the series.  She can't.  We shouldn't expect her to, nor be disappointed.

But plenty of opportunities offer themselves with a somewhat younger Carolyn, not least a closer relationship with David and a different one with Vicky.

Offline ZackGolem

• Junior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
I'd almost bet money the kid actress is actually playing Sarah, not Carolyn. She has a very haunted quality in Let Me In. I think the producers are wanting to capitalize on that. If Carolyn is too young to be a vampire victim I wonder how she would be of any use in the story?

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
What occurs to me is that she might look like Sarah, stirring all kinds of memories in Barnabas.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
Just because she's young doesn't mean she couldn't be bitten by a vampire. There are a few classic vampire movies and stories that had babies bitten by vampires.
May you die before you want too.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'd rather they go with the creepy kids approach ... Little Carolyn would be fascinating to see, especially her interactions with David.

The more I think about it, the more I'm finding myself agreeing with you. A younger Carolyn but with older Carolyn's personality traits, or should I say faults, hooking up with David could be beyond creepy.  [snow_wink]

Changing reels again, I see where IMDb is reporting that Paul Gooch has been added as the film's wigs/hair designer - and given the film's '70s setting, one presumes he'll be designing wigs and hair for both the presumed flashback(s) as well as the film's present. And in addition to joining the long list of people who've not only worked with Burton and Depp in the past (Sleepy Hollow, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Alice in Wonderland, and Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides), but but also on The Wolfman, Gooch has also worked on such prestige period films as Mansfield Park, Becoming Jane, and The King's Speech.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Eva Green tells the Hollywood Reporter that the DS movie is sorta like a dark comedy. I was hoping she would say something like the movie is a gothic horror thriller mixed with some humor. Maybe that is what she meant but I am back to having some concerns with the movie but time will tell.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/eva-green-discusses-playing-morgan-174208

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I also thought it would be cool to see a younger Carolyn hanging with her cousin David causing trouble.  We shall see....Chloe easily looks like she could be Michelle's daughter.

We shall see about the dark comedy. I would like to point out that she says "it's sorta of a dark comedy"  Maybe it's just so different they are having a hard time pinning it down?  Perhaps that is how she perceives. Perhaps it will be a dramedy.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Yes, whenever someone describes something as "sort of" that definitely means that it isn't fully whatever type of descriptor is to follow. And also, given that the question was if she ever wonders why she doesn't get offered comedy, if the film really is a dark comedy, she wouldn't have qualified her response by including "sort of." And one could also say that "sort of" is even more of a qualifier than "appear" is, as in, "Two long discussed Depp projects appear kaput." And we all know how far the Depp/DS film actually was from being kaput when Entertainment Weekly wrote that.  [wink2]