Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450172 times)

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
That would be really interesting Usffan! :) Thanks for the food for thought and BTW...it's good to see a new memeber here posting more and more.  Glad you joined us! :)

I was thinking along the same lines this morning. I thought that perhaps the flashback with young Barnabas would feature Angelique and his first meeting and when they had their first dalliance!  Whether he chooses to leave her because of Josette remains to be seen?  Josette isn't confirmed yet is she??

If Carolyn is indeed being played by a younger actress, I've been wondering if they are perhaps combining the characters of Carolyn and David.  Not sure I personally feel this is the best idea, but it would be interesting to see how they'd pull it off!

I actually find this very intriguing!  When one is writing a soap opera they need many characters to fill the canvas 5 days a week and of course on a movie this isn't required.   I kind of like that idea.  
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
i'm just not sure what's "funny" about this story. [snow_huh]
Mostly, I think of Barnabas trying to make sense of the modern world as being potentially very funny--and a nice break from the tragic tale of this good man transformed into a monster against his will, of love twisted and unending revenge.

Plus I'd like to see Depp as Barnabas react the first time he hears a phone ring...

Offline PennyDreadful

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Terror at Collinwood
I'm banking on the fact that Depp and Burton are fans.  I just wish one of them would say something publicly to quell fans' fears about DS being "funny."  It'd be nice if Burton said, "don't worry, we're not doing a comedic take on Dark Shadows.  There is nothing funny about Barnabas Collins."  

I cringe every time I see "funny" in these articles.  At least they aren't saying "campy" though.

TERROR AT COLLINWOOD
A podcast dedicated to 'Dark Shadows'
https://www.terroratcollinwood.com/

PENNY DREADFUL'S SHILLING SHOCKERS
Weekly hosted horror and suspense films!
On television scare-waves throughout Haunted New England
http://www.shillingshockers.com

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Thanks so much for the link, Phil.  [snow_smiley]

So much for the idea of combining David and Carolyn. And it's interesting that Thomas McDonell's casting as young Barnabas was confirmed not that long after it was posted by that person on IMDb, yet the person he said would be cast as Carolyn has not been confirmed - or even hinted at anywhere...

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
It'd be nice if Burton said, "don't worry, we're not doing a comedic take on Dark Shadows.  There is nothing funny about Barnabas Collins."

I doubt we are going to hear anything from them.  Did you know that back in the 70's/80 George Lucas basically released to the public that he was doing a movie (the name escapes me) set up location for the paps to see and lots of hoopla just to divert attention from one of his Star Wars movies.  Who knows if we are really getting all the information. The actors could be being coached===you know never know what is twirling in the minds of guys like Johnny and Tim. We are just having to try and paste everything together.  

Per usual....I am excited that filming starts soon! :)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
But, if she were indeed cast as Carolyn, with David being so young (looking), I would think that a pair of "evil" little children would be exactly what Victoria would need in order to set the scene for an epic story, like that of 1969.  I mean David and Amy were perfect together, and if the chemistry was right between these two, I think the story would be on par, if not improved.  

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I agree. Though I'm not going to count on the possibilty of anything like that until Chloe Moretz' casting has been reported elsewhere.  [snow_wink]  And my point was more of a why hasn't it been reported elsewhere than a doubting that it's true. After all, he was right about McDonell.  [hdscrt]  But perhaps it's because her discussions are taking longer than McDonell's did...

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
Slash Film picked up my article about the IMDB post and combined it with an interview bite Chloe Moretz gave. We'll see...

http://www.slashfilm.com/chloe-moretz-dark-shadows/
"It's not Star Trek, there's not a convention every week. If I miss this, it's a three year dry spell." - Patton Oswalt on DS

Offline usffan

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Interesting that we've seen a link to casting for David, but still nothing definitive on what role Chloe Moretz might actually be playing, even in this latest link provided by Phil.  It could end up being Sarah.  Or maybe Carolyn and have Sarah speak at a seance through her.  So many possibilities...

As far as statements, I have a feeling that Burton et. al. are probably not overly worried about quelling any fears amongst the fandom of Dark Shadows.  I suspect that they know most of us will go to see the movie anyway (maybe not borgosi based on what I've seen posted here  [snow_wink]), and any angst we discuss at least keeps the movie being discussed.  In order to be a successful movie or even a potential franchise, they're going to have to appeal to a much broader audience.  It's kind of like the way sports fans complain about the commentary from sportscasters on televised games.  They're not really worried about "preaching to the converted," they're worried about appealing to the casual fans.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
an interview bite Chloe Moretz gave

Hmmm - that certainly sounds like it *might* be a confirmation. Though if her casting in the Depp/DS film is true, and if it hasn't been officially reported elsewhere because they were hoping to keep it a secret that Carolyn will be much younger, well, they didn't do a very good job of keeping it under wraps when it came to the person who told the person who posted on IMDb.  [snow_cheesy]

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
usffan - If upon release we get a real DS movie no one will be able to keep me out of the theaters.

By "real DS movie" I mean a movie that we would be able pick out as being based on DS even if the names were changed. If fans that I know and respect think it's a real DS movie.

If it's a good, or even great movie that you wouldn't know was based on DS if you changed it's title and the charaters names, I'll have to think about going to see it in a theater. I'm may just wait and buy the DVD or wait for Netflix to get it.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• DSF God
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I will be at the theater! :) 

Also, you know what.  Last week they released a picture of the new Wonder Woman costume which most people hated.  Now, pictures have surfaced of the actress filming in a updated costume that resembles a costume an actual fan photoshopped.

The costume is ten times better than we what we first seen.

I said that to say this.  I am sure Johnny Depp and Tim Burton have people (perhaps even on this board) reading our reactions to the news.  Seeing what we are responding to and what we are not.  So that also makes me feel very hopeful.  I almost say with 99.9 % certainty our concerns and comments are be watched and pay attention to. ;)

Offline Phil

• Full Poster
    • View Profile

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It would seem like this pretty much takes care of all the major established characters that are going to be in the movie. No? Not to say that there aren't any other roles. But it would seem like all the ones that we've been anticipating to possibly be in the film have been filled. Although, if the film doesn't have the actors doing double duty as has been the practice in previous versions, I suppose there could be other established characters in the past/flashback(s) yet to cast/announce...