Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449517 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I mean Angelique and Barnabas were ridiclously funny in the way they fought and bantered

Yes - finally the "very funny" comments start to make sense, as we hoped/suspected they eventually would.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
I'm still on the fence about the 70s setting. However, I do see the great possibilities and potential. I think Eva was dying to tell us more but I am glad she said enough-at least for today jk

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
Green really impressed me in her work in the preview episode of Camelot that was (and maybe still is) available for streaming on the Starz website.  There's a scene in there where Green's character, who is just starting to come into a sense of her own power, has to compound a poison and the force with which she slams the pestle into the mortar... it did make me think she would be fascinating, and very dangerous, in the role of Our Favorite Witch.

If you think of her describing Angelique in Leviathans and the counterpart PT 1970 character, Green's comments could actually be related to episodes of our series--just probably ones she did not see when looking at "clips on the internet" which may have included footage of Ange in the 18th and 19th centuries.

I am actually starting to feel intrigued by this.  I still don't know about Depp's casting--but I do feel that Green has what it takes.  Now it remains to be seen whether Burton will feel compelled to goof it all up with his usual zany sense of overly crazy aesthetics and whether Elfman will compose his usual dippy phoned-in rubbish for the score.  I guess time will tell.

G.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
I'm still on the fence about the 70s setting.

I just pray to God that Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing had more men's stock than the hideousness of what's currently on the Web site. But perhaps that hideousness is simply what they were left with after the Depp/DS film's costume/wardrobe department got finished taking what they wanted.  [beg]

I think Eva was dying to tell us more

She was definitely holding back in the MTV interview. Though there's no surprise that Burton wants things kept as secret as possible. That's always his M.O.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Green really impressed me in her work in the preview episode of Camelot that was (and maybe still is) available for streaming on the Starz website.

I've been impressed with what I've seen of her in Camelot clips.

describing Angelique in Leviathans and the counterpart PT 1970 character

I had the same thought when I heard her describe the film's Ang in the MTV interview. And actually, there could be parallels between the film's Ang and the Leviathans Ang if it's the case that she cursed Barn in the past and has been traveling the world for the centuries since.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
I think it's really exciting and interesting that the movie will be set in the 70s. I think that will help capture the spirit of the series more that way, and I look forward to seeing the characters in 70s clothes and setting.
I don't see why people are so obsessed with wanting everything in modern settings. I prefer stories set in other times, even recent decades.
Kids are familiar with the 70s thru the very popular That 70s Show, my teen and tween nieces and nephews love that show, so I don't see where 70s fashion will hurt the movie. Burton, Depp and vampires will draw big box office.

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
so it is the 1970's and not the 1960's. interesting choice visually. should we expect gauchos and dorothy hamill haircuts?

we haven't heard a peep about additional casting since early february. i'm still assuming stalwart characters like roger,carolyn and david will be at least part of an establishing presence if not major characters.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Speaking of casting, I just discovered an alert for this: Casting DNA: Dark Shadows needs Principals

But it's weird. It says "Production Company: Columbia Pictures," but Warner Brothers is doing the film. And it says "Filming Locations: USA," even though the film is shooting at Pinewood studios and locations in Great Britain.  [hdscrt]

It also says shooting will take place "April - July, 2011," but at least that's listed as "Estimated Filming Dates," and even IMDb is still saying the film is expected to start shooting in April even though we've heard it won't start until May.

I did some research on Debra Zane at IMDb, though, and she is legit. And interestingly, one of her most recent projects was casting The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Parts 1 and 2...

Offline KMR

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
So, what is it that makes so many blog writers assume that Burton's movie is going to be based on the entire run of DS? I have now seen several writers mention "compressing over 1200 episodes" into one feature film. Sheesh!!!

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
Yes - finally the "very funny" comments start to make sense, as we hoped/suspected they eventually would.

Exactly! I never for one minute thought it would be "FUNNY!"   

I am so glad that their is a lot of positive energy here because there are some people in fandom who are so negative. I am personally glad that our moderators are supportive of new DS ventures!  :)  I am so excited because this is going to also bring people to the old show, I am sure of it.  If it wasn't for the Revival I know I would not be watching DS.

Also, can I just say I am more and more excited everday that  Eva Green is playing Angelique. I think she is going to kill it!

So glad this project is underway. Sometimes I would find myself getting impatient; however, I tried to stay calm and no voice my feelings on here or any other site because I want the movie to get underway when it was ready to be filmed and not rushed in any way.

If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Add another member of The Wolfman's technical crew to the Depp/DS film as Andrew Ryan has been added as special effects technician. His work is quite impressive in The Wolfman, so one can certainly hope his contributions to the Depp/DS film will be as or even more so.

In addition to The Wolfman, Ryan has also worked on such diverse films as Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, The Golden Compass and The Bourne Ultimatum.

I'm really becoming more and more impressed with the people who'll be working on the technical end of the film.

Offline borgosi

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • My Space
A "funny" DS?
« Reply #2036 on: March 17, 2011, 09:46:32 PM »
More and more people that are working on the new DS movie are calling it "funny". Maybe they're talking about very dark humor like maybe the original "Dawn Of The Dead", maybe they're talking about a comedy send up like "Young Frankenstein". We won't know until we see it. My question is, how would you feel about a "funny" DS?

Both of the movies that I used as examples are favorites of mine. I'm trying real hard to have an open mind about this. I hope that by the time the movie hits theaters I'll be ok with the idea of a "funny" DS. Truth is right now I'm not.
May you die before you want too.

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
Alright already! Gotta watch The Wolfman this weekend!
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
(If you do watch it, be sure to watch the director's cut. The theatrical version is good, but the director's cut is much better. But then, adding back 16 minutes of mostly character oriented footage will do that.  [snow_wink])

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
It says "Production Company: Columbia Pictures," but Warner Brothers is doing the film.

Well one mystery solved - I just noticed on IMDb that Columbia Pictures as well as Relativity Media and Village Roadshow Pictures have been added to the list of production companies for the film (joining DC's estate entity Dan Curtis Productions, Graham King's GK Films, Depp's Infinitum Nihil, Tim Burton Productions, and Warner Bros. Pictures).

How fascinating that three more production companies have been added. Though it would be even more fascinating to know why. But as with nearly everything about the film, who knows when (or even if) we may ever find out? And at the rate things are going, Bob Cobert may need to add more bars to the opening theme so that it will last long enough to play over all the production company logos that will be on display.  [lghy]