Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450046 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
If she really did read it, KLS may have gotten the script from Jim Pierson who is a consultant on the film.  They don't live that far away from each other.

i wonder why on earth KLS was granted access to the script???

is she to play a small part? is pomegranate press doing a book?

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
From what I've heard, it's not terribly uncommon for people in the business to be privy to a script, provided they read it on site at the studio or in the presence of someone in charge, like the director or a producer.  This might be Depp's way of testing the waters on the script, sharing it with someone he admires. 

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
I agree with The Doctor that Depp possibly wanted to share the script with a DS star and see what they had to say about it.  KLS is one of the bigger stars aside from Frid.  I am excited that she likes the movie.  I really do hope we get some cameo's.

As for Julia not having a huge part in the movie I a personally okay with that.  I don't want the movie to be overcrowded was as that was a problem with the 2004 pilot. Plus, it also makes one think that perhaps a franchise is looming in the minds of JD and Tim Burton. I would be shocked if a franchise wasn't in their minds. Johnny still looks fabulous and lighting and soft lenses can do wonders.
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1998 on: March 09, 2011, 10:28:10 PM »
Nice looking new DS movie poster by Stuart Manning. Great job!
http://darkshadowsnews.blogspot.com/2011/03/coming-soon.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1999 on: March 10, 2011, 01:24:11 AM »
Beautiful work.  [thumb]  And is that snow?! [faint2]

OK - now that I've recovered from that shock, I also have to say that I love the choice for Collinwood. It's very much like the type of mansion I'm hoping they'll use.

(And speaking of possible Collinwoods, I haven't forgotten about the mansion I'd mentioned a few weeks back. Unfortunately I can't find the Web site I'd originally come across. perhaps it's no longer online. But I have found some other photos of the mansion in other sources, so it's just a matter of finding the time to scan them. And I've also come across a couple other interesting examples...)

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2000 on: March 10, 2011, 06:20:05 PM »
Do you think they're still planning on doing DS in 3D? I don't see the point. Plus, I thought I read something recently about a significant fall-off in box office returns on 3D movies.

There has definitely been a significant fall-off in box office returns on 3D films (with Nicolas Cage's Drive Angry being just the latest to tank). However, Burton would still seem to be high on 3D because his Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter will be shot in 3D. So, given that, it's not hard to imagine that Burton is still planning to shoot the Depp/DS film in 3D. I suppose we'll see...

if it doesn't start filming until May, it would be surprising for a production of this size to complete post work in 2011. I'm hoping for release earlier rather than later in 2012, though!!

If post production isn't completed in time for a March/April release, I'm still thinking that it seems possible that the film won't come out until September/October. Again, I suppose we'll see...

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #2001 on: March 11, 2011, 08:54:34 PM »
i for 1 am looking forward to a 3d dark shadows. alice was great in 3d. drive angry looked stupid just from the ad so i dont think thats a surprise that it tanked. i think the movie industry made a mistake by adding the 3d extra charge to movie tickets causing people to boycott them.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #2002 on: March 12, 2011, 06:51:03 AM »
I am not a big fan of 3D. Either way I don't care though.  As long as it's offered both ways I am good.  DS is like a good trip sometimes so maybe it will be cool. ;)
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mary

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: March 12, 2011, 10:44:47 AM »
I loved Drive Angry!  But I'm probably one of the few.  LOL!

Offline The Doctor and K9

• Senior Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: March 12, 2011, 03:12:59 PM »
I saw Alice in Wonderland in 2D with kids on a field trip. Can you say free ticket free popcorn, free drink, and "I GET PAID FOR WATCHING THIS!!!????  Any way, I loved it. I took my daughter later to see the 3D version. I didn't think that the 3D added much to the film.  I did enjoy it the second time around very much. It certainly didn't detract from the film and was occasionally very interesting. In the end though, the film pretty much stood on it's own as  a conventional film. Compare that to Journey to the Center of the Earth. I went to see that 3 times and loved it. The second two veiwings were because of situations in which friends wanted to see it, and I did not want to be the only nay sayer. Having said that, I'd not have gone if it did not impress me. I watched it the other day on DVD, or rather half of it. It wasn't a bad film, but it did not compel me to sit through to the end, and I doubt I'll ever have the urge to see it again as a flat film. Perhaps if I ever get a 3D set I might revisit it.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: March 13, 2011, 04:59:16 PM »
I finally had a chance to check out the Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing Web site and all I can say is that IF the Depp/DS film is set in the '70s, I hope to heaven that Colleen Atwood is designing ALL the men's clothes because, if what displayed on the Web site is the only stock they have, then the '70s men's clothes are hideous!! At least some of the '70s women's clothes are what one would expect to see the DS characters wearing, but the men's are enough to make general audiences run screaming from movie theaters - especially IMAX theaters - and to make many DS fans long for the subdued style of 1970PT Quentin's infamous burnt orange sports jacket! (See, I keep saying that jacket was conservative considering what else was out there in the '70s - now Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing has provided the proof!  [wink2])

Thankfully, though, the men's stock on display from the '60s is better. Not perfect. But better. And the women's is much better.

In any case, it will definitely be interesting to see if indeed the film is set in the '60s-'70s or if the production sought out vintage clothes for some other reason (flashback, costume party, who knows?)...

And speaking of costuming/wardrobe, that department seems to be the one that's expanding the most because in the past few weeks I've noticed on IMDb that they've added two more people (for a total of six people so far), including a second costume buyer. And with the news of Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing providing things for the film, one has to wonder if the costume buyers are seeking out contemporary clothes or more vintage clothing.

Also, though it hasn't been reported on IMDb, I've seen where the NYT's movie site is saying that Tony Dawe will be acting as the film's sound mixer. Dawe has worked with Burton before on Alice in Wonderland, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street[/i, Sleepy Hollow and Batman, as well as as the British vampire, werewolf and ghost series, Being Human. He's also been nominated for 4 Oscars and won 2 BAFTA Awards (the British equivalent of an Oscar or Emmy).

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: March 13, 2011, 05:12:20 PM »
i'm surprised to hear the "1970's" being bandied about in terms of the show's era and costuming.

for me the show much more typifies the 1960's in regard to clothing,hairdo's and makeup styles. it wasn't until the final year...and of course 1970 parallel-time being the most glaring example...that it starts to feel "70's".

but for the most part it's boxy a-line dresses,coats and suits that are representative of formal 1960's styles.
sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: March 13, 2011, 05:44:39 PM »
I associate the original DS more with the '60s, too. I was simply picking up on remarks other fans have made here and elsewhere about the film possibly being set in the '70s because of Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing's tweet. Though one should possibly take into account that Ballyhoo Vintage Clothing also provides vintage clothes from the '30s, '40s and '50s - and their tweet didn't specify any era for the clothing they provided. At this point we really have nothing beyond our own speculation when it comes to why the film sought out vintage clothing. And while jumping to the conclusion that the film will possibly be set in the '70s or '60s could be a very logical assumption based on their tweet and given the era the original DS' present day storylines took place, that doesn't necessarily mean that the clothes provided come from those eras or that the film is set in one of those eras.  :-\

As with so many aspects of the film, only time will tell...

(At the rate any significant info comes out about the film, I'm beginning to wonder if we should all have "Only Time Will Tell..." embroidered on pillows and displayed around our houses?  [lghy])

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: March 13, 2011, 06:06:17 PM »
I just can't imagine the DS movie taking place in the 70s. That would presumably cut down on Depp's and the others ability to be funny since the script has been alleged to have some funny scenes. I would be very surprised if the story is not initially set in the present time.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: March 13, 2011, 09:24:09 PM »
You know, I think that, if done right, and the movie is set in the '60s, or '70s and HBC has allegedly stated, it would be ten times funnier to see Barnabas blown away by the technology, as said technology would be dated in the first place, thus making it really odd to most younger folks and extremely hillarious to the more mature people who still remember said technology.  It'd be like Pepsi Throwback.  Good for everyone involved. 

Plus, then, we wouldn't have to worry about the technology in the DS film looking dated, since it's supposed to!  Just some thoughts.