Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449806 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #165 on: December 05, 2007, 11:58:35 PM »
Re: Sweeny Todd
I wonder whether MacDonald's will run a "Happy Meal" marketing tie-in; something to do with meat pies?  *cackles*

Oh, if only!  [stfl]

Offline Miss_Winthrop

• Senior Poster
  • I love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 12, 2007, 01:48:10 AM »
This house is definitely my idea of what Collinwood would look like.  Yes, I agree, no computer tricks to change the appearance of Collinwood.  I've got my fingers crossed that the remake of DS will happen.  So far it looks like the 'Dallas' movie project with John Travolta is not going to happen. I'd like to see the new DS movie start where the original show left off with a new generation of Collinses and of course Johnny Depp as Barnabas. The possibilities of a great story line for the new movie is truly endless!
One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well.
~Virginia Woolf

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 28, 2007, 06:17:20 AM »
honestly i'm THRILLED that the "Dallas" film isn't going to happen cause the casting THAT they had SUCKED! & last i heard it was being turned into a comedy? i was like WTF?  ya know? anyways, any NEWS on the "Dark Shadows" Film? & i agree it SHOULD be a continuation of where the show left off. & how Barnabas went back to standard time with Julia. & his search for a cure.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 28, 2007, 02:57:17 PM »
My sense is that the script for the Johnny Depp movie will be the original Barnabas story which was compelling enough to make (no pun intended) the soap what it ultimately became - a classic.  We all might be tired of that story but a good retelling of the story would, at least for me, be satisfactory.  The Barnabas story is one of those rare ones in the vampire horror genre whereby the human being was punished by being turned into a vampire and trying to undo the curse.  It's a unique type of story.

nancy

RachelDrummand

« Reply #169 on: December 28, 2007, 11:58:42 PM »
I also would like a retelling...mainly because a new set of stories (aside from the new audios) wouldn't feel right to me.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 29, 2007, 05:50:08 AM »
IF they have to & i'm sure they WILL,buuuut IF they have to i HOPE that they  don't have it take up the WHOLE MOVIE!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: January 04, 2008, 09:33:42 PM »
It's nice to see that for the second year in a row Johnny Depp has topped a key survey naming the industry's most successful stars. Check out: Movie Exhibitors Celebrate Johnny Depp

Let's hope he also tops a survey the year his DS film gets released - and because of the DS film, of course.
(Though, at the rate the writers' strike is going, along with the very real potential of upcoming actors' and directors' strikes, the film might not get released until well into the next decade of the 21st century!  [santa_shocked]  [santa_rolleyes]  [santa_wink]  [santa_angry])

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 08, 2008, 07:08:58 PM »
Not surprising, but MPI reports that Jim Pierson will take on a consulting role for the DS movie.  See:  http://mpimedia.com/wp/?p=19

Thanks, Nancy!

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 08, 2008, 08:17:25 PM »
You are welcome! I will be cast as Julia Hoffman, of course.   [ski] Okay, so I made that up.  First I need to take a course in Fridean Psychology in order to be considered . . .

nancy

Thanks, Nancy!

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: January 08, 2008, 08:46:26 PM »
With no end in sight to the writers strike, do we think they'll actually take out the old original hoDS shooting script and just replicate that?

You think I'm joking, but recall how Gus van Sant remade Psycho some years ago, shot for shot...

cheers, G.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: January 08, 2008, 09:07:08 PM »
With no end in sight to the writers strike, do we think they'll actually take out the old original hoDS shooting script and just replicate that?

Lord, I hope not.  I am not a fan of that movie.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: January 08, 2008, 09:43:50 PM »
First I need to take a course in Fridean Psychology in order to be considered . . .

Well, let's hope that Frid's psyche is a hell of a lot more stable than Barn's because if not, I'd hate to imagine what you'd end up like afterward.  [snow_laugh]

Lord, I hope not.  I am not a fan of that movie.

Same here!  [snow_shocked]  [snow_scream]

Although, the script is much better than the finished film. If they actually retained all the character sequences that either ended up on the cutting room floor or were never even shot for the original, a remade hoDS would be a vast improvement over the original. However, with Depp having already lined up another film, the likelihood an hoDS remake could be done before the impending actors' and directors' strikes in June is pretty much nil...

David

« Reply #177 on: January 08, 2008, 10:56:03 PM »
 [snow_cheesy]

If Nancy plays Julia then I wanna play Willie, so I can be Johnny Depp's boy toy!

David

Offline Gothick

• FULL ASCENDANT
  • Somebody book me a suite at Wyndcliffe, NOW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 09, 2008, 12:51:45 AM »
Oh, there are impending actors and directors strikes?  The idea of a director's strike is rather amusing.  (I need that line of Gregory Trasks about taking charge of the inmates in the asylum and the animals in a zoo.)  I always thought that if there were no TV in America, we might get some real changes because people would actually have to start paying attention to what's going on around them.  I'm no longer that optimistic, though...

In all seriousness, my former boss just returned from a lengthy stay with her daughter and son-in-law who are TV writers and she says that the ripples from the strike are crippling the economy in certain districts of LA.  If further sectors of the entertainment industry shut down, it's going to get quite ugly out there.  I'll keep our cousins who live in the greater LA sprawl in my thoughts and prayers.

I have to agree with the MB that the original screenplay of hoDS would be fabulous to see, particularly if they tweaked it and made the denouement something more interesting than the 1970 bloodbath.

G.

Offline CrazyJenny

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 09, 2008, 06:06:06 AM »
You are welcome! I will be cast as Julia Hoffman, of course.   [ski] Okay, so I made that up.  First I need to take a course in Fridean Psychology in order to be considered . . .

Hehe.  Didn't someone tell you to go audition when they were casting for the 91 series?
"PEOPLE CAN FORGET WHAT YOU SAY AND WHAT YOU DO BUT THEY WILL NEVER FORGET HOW YOU MADE THEM FEEL."