Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449494 times)

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1590 on: November 18, 2010, 09:39:31 PM »
are they ever going to cast this film whats taking so long if there going to start filming in april  get going already depp and burtin are very slow.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1591 on: November 19, 2010, 06:39:09 AM »
A man who apparently said OMG several times when he learned of the Depp/DS film. Check out: Tim Burton and Johnny Depp Take on Dark Shadows

And in answer to his summing up question: yes, there are many DS fans out here looking forward to the Depp/DS film.  [b003]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: November 20, 2010, 04:50:50 AM »
Not That I expect many of us were expecting to, but apparently we won't be interacting with Tim Burton online:

Tim Burton exclusive: Nothing scares him — except the Net
(The Depp/DS film is mentioned.)

Gee, I suppose this means he won't be registering for an account here any time soon.  [hall2_grin]

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: November 23, 2010, 04:34:09 AM »
that would be cool though IF he did i mean, but i really doubt he'd make himself known on it if he was a member here anyways.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: November 23, 2010, 07:49:06 AM »
(It's pretty much a moot point considering how Burton feels about the Internet, but one shouldn't be so quick to dismiss actors/producers/directors identifying themselves on fan boards. One need look no further here than, say, Marie Wallace and Jonathan Frid, who are both members here and have outed themselves as such. Dan Curtis was a posting member of the old Prodigy DS board back in the '90s. And then there were places like the official Buffy board where so many of the writers/directors and even Joss Whedon posted that I lost count of how many people directly connected to the show were active members.)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1595 on: November 23, 2010, 10:31:45 AM »
You know Depp's gotta be a lurker here.   [hall2_wink]   [hall2_grin]

Offline Joe E Dangerously

• View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: November 23, 2010, 06:50:22 PM »
You know, I'll believe it when I see it at this point. I honestly don't think it'll happen. This has been Tim Burton's "next film" for 3 years. I think I may start a casting thread though. Not just DS, but in general. Good idea?

-Joe E Dangerously

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: November 23, 2010, 10:14:13 PM »
Actually, if one reads through this topic, one sees that Burton already had several films in various stages of readiness before he planned to do the Depp/DS film. That's why there have been frequent cautions posted that if WB and Depp had their minds set on Burton directing the Depp/DS film, the film was going to be years in the offing. And back in '08 we speculated that it could be more than two years before Burton would be free enough to handle the film. And that prediction seems to have turned out to be just about right.

I see where one more obstacle is out of the way as far as Depp goes: Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides: It's a Wrap!

The article says that Depp is now free to turn his attention to DS - but with almost five months before DS begins production, why do I suspect Depp might fit something in beforehand (film, voice, narration, who knows what)? Could it be that the man seems like a workaholic?  [wink2]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1598 on: November 23, 2010, 10:27:29 PM »
You know I am sticking to my mantra: Patience. I want the movie to be great, perfect, and what it needs to be so I am sitting back and just waiting for it to happen. The nature of Hollywood is delays pure and simple.  I will be excited to see when more information comes to light but until then I am just being as I said patient.  [hall2_smiley]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1599 on: November 23, 2010, 10:28:33 PM »
Contrary to what the New York Times Web site is listing, according to this article (mostly regarding her latest film (for which there is a great deal of buzz about her performance)):

Exclusive: Helena Bonham Carter on The King's Speech

Helena Bonham Carter says she still hasn't been asked to be a part of the Depp/DS film.

Also, and not that it comes as a surprise given how secretive he is with his films, but we probably won't be hearing too much from Burton about the Depp/DS film for at least the time being because -

1) this article says he was reluctant to discuss it (beyond what little they got out of him when they interviewed him regarding the TIFF Bell Lightbox exhibit):

Tim Burton exhibit in Toronto collects 700-plus artifacts from career, childhood

and 2) in this interview with MTV Burton says he's still not sure what's happening yet:

Tim Burton Talks 'Dark Shadows,' 'Frankenweenie,' 'Maleficent' And 'The Addams Family'!

But at least he does say that he's excited...

(The MTV Blog post is actually taken from a longer MTV article which might be of interest to Burton aficionados: Tim Burton Has A Big 2010 Thanks To 'Alice In Wonderland,' MOMA Exhibit)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1600 on: November 23, 2010, 11:31:30 PM »
I agree with MB that things seem right on track now for the DS film.  Of course, things could still fall through, but I think an April start date is about as specific as we could hope for.  I'm also not too surprised we haven't heard any casting news yet (other than Johnny for Barn, of course!) but I imagine that after the New Year, tidbits about the cast will start to trickle through.  

I'm a little divided on the theory of Anne Hathaway as Vicky Winters; overall, I really like Anne, but I actually personally thought she was the weakest link in Alice In Wonderland.  Not that I thought that Alice was one of Burton's stronger films, anyway, but I found Anne's performance to be distracting and off the mark.  If she is indeed cast in DS, I will just hope for the best!

As to what Johnny could possibly do with his time between now and April, that is a question that we fans are certainly asking ourselves right now  [hall2_grin]   Some known/possible activities:

Tourist premieres and promotion (Dec.)
Rango premieres and promotion (Feb.)
Kathryn Bigelow film- I'm not sure if that's definitely ruled out, now, or not
Snow White (this is still just a rumor, but I haven't heard it debunked yet)
Keith Richards documentary that Johnny is directing- I'd like to see him use this time to get this done!
21 Jump Street film cameo- Johnny kinda sorta seemed amenable to doing this
maybe just spending some time with Vanessa and the kids?  [hall2_smiley]

So there are some possibilities but we'll see if any of them come to pass.  As long as DS stays on track!

Cathy

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: November 24, 2010, 01:15:54 AM »
I'm also not too surprised we haven't heard any casting news yet (other than Johnny for Barn, of course!) but I imagine that after the New Year, tidbits about the cast will start to trickle through.

I would presume so too. And trickle might even be a good way of putting it because sometimes films are still casting, even still casting major roles, after already beginning production.

As long as DS stays on track!

Exactly.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: November 24, 2010, 09:33:52 AM »
I think I may start a casting thread though. Not just DS, but in general. Good idea?

Welcome!  Is this topic (on this same board) what you had in mind?--
Casting Speculations

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1603 on: November 24, 2010, 02:09:48 PM »
Snow White (this is still just a rumor, but I haven't heard it debunked yet)

Interestingly (and perhaps as a relief  [hall2_grin] ) this entry has now been taken off of Johnny's IMDb page.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: November 24, 2010, 10:15:09 PM »
Am I the only one who thinks it might be nice if Tim Burton had just a little bit more of a positive attitude that the Depp/DS film will turn out well. His latest round of remarks seem to have culminated in the ones in this article:

Tim Burton on Twilight and His Own Two Upcoming Vampire Movies

Yes, it's all well and fine to be cautious before a project starts and to not jump the gun to say it's going to absolutely be God's gift to entertainment. It's never smart to come across as a conceited ass.  [hall2_wink]  But there's a fine line between being cautious and coming across like you presently have no idea if you're ever going to be able to pull something off. But maybe that's just the way Burton is - maybe he always prefers to be cautious and humble (rare qualities in many directors) lest something turn out horribly wrong when beforehand he'd bragged too much about it. But still, a bit more positivity than he's currently providing wouldn't hurt.  [hall2_smiley]