Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 450258 times)

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1560 on: November 08, 2010, 09:20:56 AM »
You can toss up the story a bit, but just don't change the music... please.  The main theme, Josette's Music Box, and Shadows of the Night are a must in any version of DS.  Cobert's work is irreplaceable; and while I am fine with new incidentals, the main themes should remain in place.  Are you listening, Burton, Elfman? 

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1561 on: November 08, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »
The 91 show brought in angelique right from the start where in the first show she did,nt come in until a year afthe barnabas came on.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1562 on: November 08, 2010, 03:00:55 PM »
i actually have to agree, they better at least stay true to the theme. my guess is that Danny Elfman will do an updated version of it. the (1991) series has good memories for me cause that's when i 1st found out about "DS" & watching it with my dad was a nice pleasure as well. he's still thankfully alive but i'm sure you all know that it is nice to watch stuff with your rents.

& i found out all about "DS" from him. i don't remember if he watched the original show when he was in his teens. but he did tell me that it was a remake of the original show. & hence the remake got me curious about the original show. anyways as for the film, sorry to go off topic here for a bit. i hope it's longer than say 100 minutes. cause there is just

SOO MUCH Story that CAN BE TOLD! i hope that at least some of the original cast have parts in it. either big or small i don't care. i'd LOVE it if "Frid" had a good part in it. but i doubt he'll do it. cuz i think he would want a good part in it. & that i can understand. i think he should get that. plus if the film is done well & written well, & everything that we would love. who knows than i'd love to have them make more "DS" films. just as long as they don't Stake ole "Barney" in the film. like "DC" did in the original "DS" film. what do you think?

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1563 on: November 08, 2010, 04:15:53 PM »
just as long as they don't Stake ole "Barney" in the film. like "DC" did in the original "DS" film. what do you think?

That's a really interesting issue.  I wonder if they thought carefully about this, because staking Barn would make it much harder to do any future DS films (not that they're necessarily thinking about that, but still... [hall2_grin]  )  I am torn-- part of me thinks that it would seem an inevitable outcome for a stand-alone story (as opposed to a serial franchise).  I wouldn't want there to be a Hollywood-ish "happy ending".  Also, a pretty good number of Johnny's characters have been killed off at the end of his films, so he's certainly not averse to it happening.  That said, if they could find a way to make an ending that is tragic, yet might still leave a door open, so to speak (or is that an open coffin?  [hall2_wink] ) I'd be up for that.  Hmm.

Cathy

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1564 on: November 08, 2010, 04:18:39 PM »
Oops, sorry for the double post, but I don't think this has been mentioned yet.  For what it's worth (and we know we must always take IMDb with a grain of salt!), DS has now been taken off of Johnny's "projects in development" list and is on his Filmography list proper, as "pre-production."  

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000136/

I know that's just a formality, but I always like to see changes in status  [hall2_cool]

(BTW I have no idea what's going on with that Snow White thing- it seems like just a rumor, but strangely, it hasn't been debunked yet.  We'll see!)

Cathy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1565 on: November 08, 2010, 06:42:36 PM »
You can toss up the story a bit, but just don't change the music... please.  The main theme, Josette's Music Box, and Shadows of the Night are a must in any version of DS.  Cobert's work is irreplaceable; and while I am fine with new incidentals, the main themes should remain in place.  Are you listening, Burton, Elfman?

That was recently addressed:

Quote from: SHADOWGRAM
SG PREMIERE-ANNOUNCES:

DS composer "Bob Cobert's original theme will most certainly be integrated into the musical score of the new movie, though the retired composer will not be directly involved."

Also, there have been remarks made by the producers (and I believe Jim Pierson at the Fests) that they and WB are hoping that the Depp/DS film will be successful enough for it to lead to a franchise. Though that doesn't necessarily rule out Barn being killed off in the first film. Just look at how often Christopher Lee's Drac was killed off and then ingeniously brought back in the next installment.  [wink2]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1566 on: November 08, 2010, 09:42:35 PM »
fyi imdb updated the DS movie page. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/

I would hope that there will be several more DS movies but I don't see how TB and JD can find a place on their respective schedules at the same time in the next 3 years or so. We could only hope.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1567 on: November 08, 2010, 10:11:46 PM »
DC is listed on IMDb as creating the characters.  [hall2_huh]  I suspect that will come as a surprise to the estate of Art Wallace, who created every character up to Barnabas (and there's even a court ruling to back that up). But then, who knows who even added that credit to the site...

As for fitting in a sequel (or sequels) to a successful film, projects with an already established audience are hotly desired commodities in Hollywood, so stars, directors and studios manage to find/work out ways to do them. For example, considering his schedule is always so full, I suspect Depp already had several films in his pipeline before it was decided to do the first two Pirates sequels, yet they were quite successfully shoehorned in.  [hall2_wink]  With Burton, though, it isn't always the case that the same director helms the sequels...

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1568 on: November 08, 2010, 10:24:07 PM »
they can just pull the stake out that,s what they were going to do for night of dark shadows if frid had agreed to to be in the film. ofcause he did,nt and they went with a totaly diffent story.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1569 on: November 08, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »
i agree on that man, i for one loved 'Planet of the apes" i'm prolly one of the only people who did. but i think it's great in it's own way. & even if it's not as good as the original i didn't expect it to be when i saw it in the theatre 9 years ago. i have wanted them to do  a sequel to that since it came out! though i highly doubt he will ever do a sequel to that film.

cause he left us on a cliff hanger. which i would LOVE to see resolved in at least one more film, to finish the series off in
Tim Burton's universe anyways. & as for "DS" i hope he does do more films in the franchise if they hope to make one.

someone somewhere posted i forget where on how DS should be in the vein of the classic tv show 'Star Trek" & how that's more in the open than "DS" is & i have to agree with that assetment it's about time "DS" is more in the front than

the background like it's been since the show went off the air & the films were done in the theatre back than.
now i'm not saying it isn't popular it is. but most people today don't know what "DS" is or ever heard of it & if they have at least in (2010) it's cause of the new film coming out.

anyways, i didn't know that "Art Wallace" went to court over who created the characters. i can't say that i blame him either. but than i also don't know what led to it & so on. anyways, your'e right MB actors or actresses if they want to

do a role bad enough DO fit it in their schedule before anything else. such as the pirates sequels i believe he had soo much fun shooting the 1st one that he fit the sequels in his schedule. i think i may have read that somewhere way back when.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1570 on: November 08, 2010, 10:53:15 PM »
i forgot to mention that with the "C.Lee" films the bringing him back scenes did i think look cool. but the films weren't always that way. some were better than others though. i always got a kick out of on the tv show when they would do that to a vampire. pull a stake out of some vampire's chest & he or she would come back alive.

in other shows or movies. they die & it doesn't matter if you go back to the body years later to check on the body. it's still be staked & if pulled nothing would happen. or if they pulled one out of a vampire to use it to kill another nothing would happen. to my best of knowledge "DS" is the only show that does that, unless i'm informed otherwise of course.

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1571 on: November 09, 2010, 08:52:06 AM »
That was recently addressed:

Quote from: SHADOWGRAM
SG PREMIERE-ANNOUNCES:

DS composer "Bob Cobert's original theme will most certainly be integrated into the musical score of the new movie, though the retired composer will not be directly involved."

I didn't even see that.  Thank you for pointing that out, MB!  Thank goodness we at least have confirmation on the main theme.  I don't know how I feel about the term "integrated."  That could be really good or rather negative depending on how you read it.  If the theme is TRULY integrated into the score, that means it could pop up several times in several variations.  However, it could also be read as in "it will just be pushed in there for the sake of having it."  Either way, it doesn't say that it will be the main theme of the movie, which is rather alarming.  But, at least it will be in there...  Now for Josette's Music Box...

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1572 on: November 09, 2010, 04:20:11 PM »
that,s what they did with tom jennings he was staked but came when nickholus blair pulled the stake out ofcause i don,nt know if that was because he was a warlock and had powers/

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1573 on: November 10, 2010, 07:37:12 AM »
i know that's who i was thinking of when i was typing that. i also think the actor who played him made a horrible vampire. he was better when he was himself than he was playing a vampire to be honest. least i think so. anyways, if they put josette into the film than  yes i'd say put the music box in it.

but i can live without it. but ONLY if they don't put Josette into the film. & my guess it'd be an updated score of the original if it's used. i'd also LOVE a new take on the DS story.  & something tells me we may get it. & i do agree what MB said. if DC was still alive. god rest his soul.  if they were going to make a film of DS. it would be another copycat story.

& us fans here, don't mind it being re told somewhat. if told right. & written good. but it would be a nice breath of fresh air  to have a new DS story. on film anyways. i know we are getting that on the audio plays. & i love those.
but i also would love to see new DS story on film. to be honest if the film is a hit & i think it could well be.

i'd love them to try another tv series retry. but of course with people involved who knew & respected the work. from what i hear on iMDB & here the last attempt wasn't very good. so that's why i put it that way.

Offline LOOKE300

• Junior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1574 on: November 10, 2010, 02:34:08 PM »
if they do another film i hope its the quentin ghost/werewoft story and has count petoft in it and ofcause quentins theme which was a hit song i think it was in the top 10 on billboard.