Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449780 times)

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1425 on: July 18, 2010, 05:23:02 PM »
With no script, I doubt many actors would agree to appear. So, it seems like we're back to where we were back in December '07. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing. It all depends on how the script ultimately turns out...

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: July 18, 2010, 09:59:42 PM »
Many reports are claiming the Depp/DS film will be starting in January - but they all seem to be citing the deadline.com piece as their source - so who knows? Perhaps we'll get confirmed news at Comic-Con on the 24th. But I'm somehow doubting that as the same people involved with what was discussed at the Fest will be part of the Comic-Con panel.

Entertainment Weekly has also picked up the story:
'Pride and Prejudice and Zombies' author will write a 'Dark Shadows' remake for Johnny Depp and Tim Burton.
Though I dreaded reading this bit of speculation: ...the vampire melodrama was played pretty straight. Between Burton, Depp, and Grahame-Smith, you have to figure that the movie version will lean in a slightly more absurdist direction. Just imagine what sort of exciting new accent Depp will invent to play lead vamp Barnabas Collins! Though I'm trying to hold onto the fact that it is just that - speculation...

And there's also this report:
Grahame-Smith Scripts Dark Shadows
Soap and Vampires and Zombies
And it makes a point of mentioning that Grahame-Smith is "best known now for his mega-selling one-joke literary pastiches." Not very encouraging. And it also mentions that he's co-created MTV's The Hard Times of RJ Berger. However, I know absolutely nothing about that show and the only significant thing I've discovered about it is that it appears to be a 'tween comedy, which doesn't exactly give any indication if Grahame-Smith can write anything but comedy...

John August is looking better and better in hindsight...

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #1427 on: July 19, 2010, 06:42:57 AM »
the hard times of rj berger is a teenage version of the show "HUNG".

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 19, 2010, 09:36:30 PM »
Seems like we're not the only ones with fears about Grahame-Smith: Pride and Prejudice and Zombies Author to Write Dark Shadows Script

I'm trying to remain optimistic. After all, Gothic horror and humor can mix well if done correctly - just look at True Blood. Though Grahame-Smith would seem to be no Alan Ball & Co...

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: July 20, 2010, 03:29:45 AM »
I'm not particularly worried about this.  He's being give a chance.  I say--let us see what he comes up with.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: July 20, 2010, 05:20:08 AM »
According to IMDb Dark Shadows now has a projected release date of 2013 just changed from 2011. I hope this is real wrong. I got the impression that WB was putting this DS movie on the fast track.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1077368/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 20, 2010, 06:00:45 AM »
Maybe whoever changed it thinks it'll take two more years to get the script right. And given how long they worked on John August's script before presumably throwing it out, that might not be an unfair estimation...

Though they might have also picked it up from the recent Variety article even though all it says is that the Depp/DS film is part of the WB's IMAX package that's scheduled to be released through 2013 - not that it won't be released until 2013...

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 22, 2010, 09:55:59 AM »
actually i saw on "IMDB" not to long ago that the year was (2012) they have since upped it a year. so who knows?
"The Talisman" has been on it like forever. so has the 4th "Re-Animator" film & all i've ever heard about that film is that it's NOT getting made. so who knows ya know? my point is, i think it's just a guess cause just in case it takes that long for him to write the script. i do hope & pray that Johnny Depp who i've been a die hard fan of since "21 Jump Street"  premiered in (1987) anyways i hope & Pray that if the film DOES get made. he doesn't play it weird like he did as Willy Wonka. but plays it straight. it wouldn't bother me if they made it into a horror/Drama/romance film.   kinda how the original film is, at least somewhat. the 2nd one is anyways. anyways there's my 2 cents he he

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: July 25, 2010, 10:44:37 PM »
For what it's worth, the Dr. Who rumor is false

I love the following article that addresses this. And the point it makes is perfect, not only for this instance, but for every instance in which a false rumor is started and then takes on a complete life of its own. One wonders if the people who make up this stuff ever think about or even care about the fallout that comes after they've crafted their foolishness and sent it out into the world?

Davies: Johnny Depp Casting Report Is Utter Tosh

One also wonders how many false rumors we may have to deal with once the Depp/DS film actually gets going...

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: July 26, 2010, 11:21:04 AM »
Like I said before, they might as well drop both Depp and Burton and find somebody else to get this film going.

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: July 26, 2010, 06:10:20 PM »
ya know 1stly i've got to say this, i don't think "Charlie & The Chocolate Factory" was THAT BAD! i kinda like it actually. only bad things things about it. is how each kid cept or Charlie of course is a little Punk. to keep my language Clean. he he.
& i don't think they needed to add that info about Wonka's Childhood but i do LOVE that Christopher Lee is in the film. i'm NOT going to lie about that. he he. anyways, & the last thing i didn't like about it which i find the BIGGEST is that
Depp's Portrayal  of Wonka was TERRIBLE! i think he went in the WRONG Direction. i read at the time he tests the way he goes with this or that character on his kids 1st. to see what kids would like. & i guess his kids Enjoy Michael Jackson's Music cause that's who it reminds me of. Michael Jackson.

those are my only Gripes with the film. other wise it's NOT that bad of a film. my point is i don't think people would make such a BIG deal about Tim Burton & Johnny Depp doing "Dark Shadows" the film had those complaints NEVER happend. while i don't think "Sleepy Hollow" is his best film a LOT of people LOVE IT!  my only hope really is IF they DO, well DO the film is how is "Depp" who usually is pretty darn good at choosing on how to portray this or that Character cept  For Wonka would be good at playing "Barnabas" as long as it's TRUE to the show & the character i can't wait to see it. & i think since Depp & i forget if "Burton" is a fan to be honest, anyways if they are true to the show i don't think it's going to be THAT bad. people will crab about whoever makes it anyways, because we are soo freaking used to the original show. which will ALWAYS be the best. people complain about the remake that came out in (1991) but i like it even if it has it's flaws. i thought Ben Cross did an Excellent Job with the role. given what material he was given. & i'd LOVE to see a Remake of the show. with Alec Newman in the role cause i LOVE his "Barnabas" in the "Big Finish" audio plays. but i'd love the original cast also to have roles in it as well. i'm sure they'd have fun with going back to the roles as well. or the show anyways, if they played different characters. it would be nothing new to them given how many characters they played in the original show anyways, but with this Vampire Craze that's going on. if they had the right cast & the right people & everything involved & it wasn't like the (2004) remake i think it would be great.

Offline quentincollins

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: July 27, 2010, 01:45:00 AM »
Alec Newman is great, and has played several roles in the wonderful BF audios, it's Andrew Collins who plays Barnabas in the audios, and he's really great!

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: July 27, 2010, 02:34:59 AM »
oh i thought it was Alec Newman? i guess i was wrong! he he oh well anyways you are right though he's Great as Barnabas

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: July 27, 2010, 03:05:20 AM »
Alec Nemman played Barnabas in the WB's '04 DS pilot - and a fine Barnabas he was.

But getting back on topic, without Depp there wouldn't be a DS film being made because he owns the rights to make the film.  ;)  And Depp wants Burton to direct, so...

Offline B.Collins

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: July 27, 2010, 03:55:01 AM »
well i hope the script at some point is avaliable online for people to read it. so we can let our minds rest easier than they are NOW! buut maybe it's a good sign that they got a NEW writer? i dunno i guess i'm just Choosing to think Postive rather than negative for a change. he he.