Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447542 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1350 on: May 20, 2010, 12:17:45 AM »
This DS movie development process has been one disappointment after the other for the past three years with no end in sight.  The DS movie delay(s) is a running joke in the media now.

I just received the most recent printed Shadowgram #117-118. On page 5 it reflects in part,"SG can report The DS feature film finally is heading toward production later this year, probably in England"....
Probably in England? That is an interesting word to use since it has been widely reported in the media for the past year that it will be filmed at Pinewood Studios in London. Perhaps there is a possibility it may be filmed in the US?

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: May 20, 2010, 03:22:45 AM »
I agree with you.  It's not as if Depp and company are sitting around wondering how to drive DS fans crazy.  Bear in mind, the nature of the industry can drive some people right out of it (and it has) and others go with the flow.  It's how their "workplace" works.  We either understand that or we do not.

Nancy

I don't think he is playing games.  The script may not be right and also  when he bought DS he had tons of other commitments. These things take time. As an avid follower of TV and movies like I said it's just the nature of the business.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: May 20, 2010, 04:11:06 AM »
I think a lot of people do understand but not in the way you would like. We understand that as of today that after three years there is no script, we don't know what country the film will be made in and that it will be a very funny movie. I think Nancy that you are excluding the possibility that one can understand the crazed developmental process and still respect Depp and company trying their best to get this project off the ground. This is how my workplace works. Either you understand it or you do not.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1353 on: May 20, 2010, 04:31:01 AM »
No script??? Who said that! I thought John August wrote one? 
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: May 20, 2010, 04:34:46 AM »
Actually, three years in development is not at all unusual. Some films have spent a decade or even more in development. There really is no set standard for how long development can take, and along the way there are always bound to be twists and turns, some quite unexpected. I believe that is what Nancy was referring to when she spoke of the nature of the business. The film business is nothing if not unpredictable, and it takes someone who's strong of heart to be successful in it because of that unpredictability. It's not a business for the faint of heart - and I believe that was also what Nancy was trying to say.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: May 20, 2010, 04:37:03 AM »
No script??? Who said that! I thought John August wrote one?

August wrote a first draft. However, the script has been in the rewrite phase for sometime now.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: May 20, 2010, 04:40:55 AM »
As of today there is no complete or approved script. They are still working on getting it done. Subsequent to JA's submitted script the producers and Depp himself stated that they are still working on the script's revisions and/or new story. It will get done eventually and we are all hoping it will be a great one.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: May 20, 2010, 05:05:45 AM »
I think a lot of people do understand but not in the way you would like.

It's not a matter of my liking or not liking it.  That's how the business works whether anyone likes it or not or respects the fact that's how it works. That process has been going on since the start of movies and isn't likely change.   I was in it long life and enough of a degree to know all too well and personally how long it can take to bring something to fruition even in the theater.  The frustration affected me to the degree I didn't want to be involved in that kind of work anymore.  It was very much my workplace for awhile.:)

I think Nancy that you are excluding the possibility that one can understand the crazed developmental process and still respect Depp and company trying their best to get this project off the ground. This is how my workplace works. Either you understand it or you do not.

I didn't know you worked in some aspect of the business, is that what you are saying?  The projects you did got off the ground faster and on a more predictable fashion? It's certainly happened before.  I certainly do believe in the possibility one can understand the crazed process and still respect Depp and company because I do.  They are the ones who have more to lose if the project fails than any of us.   I'm glad your projects fared better with a lot less frustration.  I was not so lucky, lol.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: May 20, 2010, 05:15:03 AM »
The film "Michael Collins" was ten years in development and went on to great success.  "Titanic" was in development for something like 15 years and "Superman," "Spiderman." and even "Avatar"were in various phases of development for over a decade.  Those are just the ones that I know about off hand from reading about them in the trades after they came out or when there was some significant movement in the development phase.  I remember reading that Cameron wrote a treatment for "Avatar" in the early 1990s.

All this stated just to emphasize that the twists, turns, delays and lack of concrete information is normal and not indicative that the film is getting shot down little by little.  It will be a coup if they really start filming within the next year.

That said, I do hope we do not have to wait 15 years [ghost_cool]

Actually, three years in development is not at all unusual. Some films have spent a decade or even more in development. There really is no set standard for how long development can take, and along the way there are always bound to be twists and turns, some quite unexpected.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: May 20, 2010, 03:48:18 PM »
Nancy on what basis are you assuming that I am in the movie business? How do you assume that my projects were successful and without any frustration? If you read my previous posts I have gone on the record many many times that I am not in this industry and don't know much about it. I hope you are reading my posts as I do yours. I was merely stating the facts as it applies to the status of the DS movie project. Am I wrong in saying that after three years there is no complete script, we now don't know where the movie will be filmed and that according to Zanuck the movie will be very funny? I was also responding to your post where you stated either you get it or you don't and I stated my opposition to that premise. My workplace is different than the movie industry and I make no claim otherwise. I don't think think one needs to be in the entertainment industry to agree or disagree with your posts. On the other hand I do appreciate you telling us of your experiences and bringing your inside perspective of the movie industry. I can't imagine how frustrating it was for you. Let 's hope the movie will be filmed in the near future so we can discuss more specifics like casting decisions etc... That would be far more interesting than staying in the speculation arena.

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 21, 2010, 03:35:32 AM »
In light of reports about what Richard Zanuck recently said, this report, dated today, is quite interesting: SCARY CHRISTMAS!

In part it says: 'producer Graham King now confirms that the film will shoot in the fall, with Depp to play broody vampire Barnabas Collins.
"We're actually going to shoot that film early September with Tim Burton and Johnny," King said in a group interview'

However, the person who posted the report doesn't cite a source, so it seems as if there's no way to tell where she got the info or when King made the remarks. However, they do sound similar to remarks King made back in December. Remarks he has since backpedaled from. But there are also bits in the report that weren't mentioned back in December.  [idontknow]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 21, 2010, 03:57:43 AM »
Nancy on what basis are you assuming that I am in the movie business? How do you assume that my projects were successful and without any frustration? If you read my previous posts I have gone on the record many many times that I am not in this industry and don't know much about it. I hope you are reading my posts as I do yours.

Jimbo, I was dense and misunderstood your post when you spoke about your "workplace."  Sorry.  Also, please bear in mind that I don't remember everything everyone in a thread has posted before.  I wish I did, but I don't. [ghost_nowink]

I was merely stating the facts as it applies to the status of the DS movie project. Am I wrong in saying that after three years there is no complete script, we now don't know where the movie will be filmed and that according to Zanuck the movie will be very funny? I was also responding to your post where you stated either you get it or you don't and I stated my opposition to that premise. My workplace is different than the movie industry and I make no claim otherwise.

Ok.  I suppose what led me to the wrong conclusion/confused me is that workplaces are indeed different and what works and is typical in one is not typical in another.  So one can't realistically expect to understand how another system or workplace works unless that is understood.  I have worked in entertainment and also in law: two entirely different workplaces.  In entertainment, there is much ebb and flow and things are harder to nail down.  In the legal field, there are laws to follow, policies that must be adhered to and even though at the end of the day you may not know how a case will turn out, things are designed to happen within a certain time frame, etc.  It wouldn't make any sense for me to approach understanding the legal field thinking it works like the entertainment field because they operate differently.

The expectation that you and some others have about how this whole Depp movie is going to evolve and how and when information is distributed is going to be a constant exercise in frustration because you won't accept how the business works.  Personally, it doesn't matter to me if you do accept it or not.   I personally dislike being frustrated, hence why I find out why something happens the way it does.   Once I know, I have little choice but accept that is how something works otherwise I would be constantly banging my head against the wall.  That seems rather futile to me. 

The reason I have posted on this subject when I have was to offer some assurance that what was happening - all the delays and misinformation - was typical, not indicative of anything like the movie isn't going to be made. 

We are all excited about the prospects of the movie and eager to see it.  It will come together when it comes together.  There is not a thing you and I can do to move things along.  As that is the case, I choose to let the wheels turn however slowly and not become concerned about how slow it all seems to be and getting conflicting information.  If you choose to fret over whatever information we get and speculate that's obviously your right to do so.  I think I do finally have it in my head that there are fans who are going that route and are not assuaged by the knowledge that what's happening with the script and the project as a whole is typical.   So be it.  I am very anti-fretting in my personal life so I do what I can to avoid that at all cost and why I make a concerted effort to understand why things happen the way they do.   [ghost_cheesy]

Sorry I misunderstood some of your earlier post. [ghost_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 21, 2010, 04:39:54 AM »
Thank you Nancy for taking the time to write and for your clarification. I apologize too for misinterpreting the things you mentioned and for not being more clear on my posts. You gave me some things to think about. We are all in this together and I hope this movie gets made soon for all of our sakes.

MB that was an interesting article. Was King actually referring to this Christmas for its release if the movie was filmed this September? I have to assume he meant Christmas 2011 although I don't know what to believe anymore.

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1363 on: May 21, 2010, 08:54:38 AM »
I personally try and not worry about DS.  Johnny is a great fan and he is aging nicely. I would personally rather them take there time and get the script hammered out and make it the best it can be before shooting it.   The WB pilot was rushed experience for everyone involved and look how that situation turned out.  I just try and relax.  Is it frustrating at times?? Very much so! However, I believe we will get DS at least in the next two years and it all starts with how good the writing is so I want them to get this right!  After all aren't' we all hoping this will revitalize the the franchise and also help the original, revival and everything DS enter those lexicons it has never entered before.   [ghost_smiley]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1364 on: May 21, 2010, 12:54:20 PM »
Nancy, I just wanted to say that I agree 100% with everything you said in your last few posts. 

Cathy