Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 446679 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1320 on: May 16, 2010, 01:37:11 PM »
An argument can be made that since WB did not include DS as part of its tentpole movies to be released in 2011, that Dark Shadows will not be released in 2011? I think a movie with Tim Burton and Johnny Depp would be considered a tentpole movie. In the absence of other information can we now assume that the DS movie will be released after 2011? I just think the DS movie is not one of those movies that you squeeze into a studio's schedule? Just wondering.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: May 16, 2010, 05:03:12 PM »
Jimbo, I take that to mean there is not a release date yet because filming hasn't even started???? The projected release date is 2011, that much we know but that's not etched in stone either.  Filming isn't due to start until nearly the end of this year, then there is post-production, etc.etc. I foresee a potential release date being late 2011 or early 2012 if indeed filming starts when they expect it to start.

Nancy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: May 16, 2010, 11:12:17 PM »
I am just pointing out what the article's headline indicated, that WB has completed its 2011 release schedule. If WB was confident that DS would be released in 2011 the studio would have at least made reference to that even though it didn't have an exact release date especially it being a tentpole movie with Burton and Depp imo. I have a feeling that WB is saving DS for a 2012 release. Let's hope for the best and that the movie is released next year.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: May 17, 2010, 12:04:53 AM »
I am just pointing out what the article's headline indicated, that WB has completed its 2011 release schedule. If WB was confident that DS would be released in 2011 the studio would have at least made reference to that even though it didn't have an exact release date

And I'm just saying that a movie such as DS that is actively in development but does not have a target release date wouldn't be included in a studio's release schedule.  But release schedules are always subject to change anyway.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: May 17, 2010, 12:29:53 AM »
release schedules are always subject to change

Exactly. Studio release schedules are often very fluid - especially ones that are announced more than seven months out. Films can be and often are shifted around, added, and removed. Much of the time an announcement such as the one that Variety published is merely a snapshot of what the thinking was on the date it was released. Much of it will in all likelihood remain the same - but some of it has a real possibility of changing sometime between now and the end of 2011. That's just the way the industry works...

Now, none of that means that the Depp/DS film will definitely be released in 2011. As far as we know, there's still too much about production of the film that's up in air to have any concrete idea when it will be released. But at the same time, that announcement in Variety doesn't necessarily mean that the film definitely won't be released in 2011 either.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1325 on: May 17, 2010, 12:32:06 AM »
Understood. When there is no information all we are left with is speculation and misinformation. Hopefully confirmed information is forthcoming.

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1326 on: May 17, 2010, 01:36:52 AM »
I'll believe things are happening only when the film starts production.  The nature of the industry can be frustrating when you are anxious to see a particular project get moving. [ghost_wink]

Offline Gerard

• NEW ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1327 on: May 17, 2010, 02:56:23 AM »
I'm with you, Nancy.  I've learned to become very cyncical and skeptical after the crash of the WB 2004 TV series.  I won't believe it if they've even approved the script, hired actors/actresses and filmed it.  I'll believe it when I'm going up to the cashier's window and forking over a gouging amount of money while saying:  "Dark Shadows, please."  Until then, I've lost interest in the Depp cinematic version.  Right now, I think it will never happen.  Hopefully, I'll be proven wrong.

Gerard

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1328 on: May 17, 2010, 03:01:07 AM »
Oh I believe it will happen.  It's not going to come fast enough for many of us.  I'll get more excited when the thing is in production but until then, I'm waiting until it goes into production. [ghost_rolleyes]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1329 on: May 17, 2010, 04:31:59 AM »
Somehow I'm sure there's more going on than we're aware of - and when they're ready we'll officially be made aware of it. I suspect that, unlike last year, some things may be revealed at this year's Fest. Well, that is if it's not leaked on the Internet beforehand...

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1330 on: May 18, 2010, 04:14:35 AM »
You may be 100% right MB. Let's hope that is the case. Tim Burton appears to have picked up another project which could possibly impact DS. As we discussed there is a lot of misinformation out in the media. For example the author of this article believes that there has been no official announcement that TB has signed on to direct DS but I thought Shadowgram indicated so. Very frustrating indeed.

http://www.collider.com/2010/05/17/tim-burton-mai-the-psychic-girl/

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1331 on: May 18, 2010, 05:18:31 AM »
Back in March didn't Burton deny that he's doing a stop-motion version of The Addams Family? Yet there's Collider.com still reporting it - kind of like so many sites refused for months to believe all the denials that Depp was tapped to play The Riddler - and in an even unscripted Batman sequel no less.  [ghost_rolleyes]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1332 on: May 18, 2010, 12:33:42 PM »
I hate misinformation when it comes to DS especially since there has been really no information for the past two years. Zanuck just gave this update indicating there are isssues with the script that still exist and that filming may not begin until next year. It was announced yesterday Pirates 4 will be filmed in 3D so I don't know if that process will extend its filming time.

http://www.movieweb.com/news/NEKBlNLQcyqBOP

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1333 on: May 18, 2010, 02:56:05 PM »
Zanuck:  "...it'll be very funny..."  Whoa, that's news to me!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1334 on: May 18, 2010, 03:29:23 PM »
Well I hope it won't be too funny j/k I mean are there going to be scenes where Depp accidental drops his cane or bats crashing into Collinwood's windows? And it's going to be scary at the same time? Tim was quoted that he will be attempting to capture that weird vibe the series had. Zanuck previously stated that he had never heard of DS before the project was announced so I doubt he has a good handle on DS. But he knows the status of the script and it appears to be far from complete which puts this project still up in the air.