Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449428 times)

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #120 on: September 14, 2007, 08:21:38 PM »
Right, The Libertine was not a wide release- I probably would've had a better idea last year, but I'm guessing it was in about ~500 theaters, in early spring '06 (after a one week Oscar run at the end of '05).  I remember being worried about finding it in my area (DC suburbs), but it did play in several theaters here.  However, the theaters were not anywhere near full.   Just to say that a smaller film starring Johnny is still possible, even post-Pirates.  And with how fickle our culture sometimes is with what's hot and what's not, one never knows for sure.

I hope you're right that Dark Shadows will be treated like a potential box office hit, and considering the loyalty of the DS fanbase all these years, it should get great financial backing and such.  One of the big unknowns is that Johnny's production company, Infinitum Nihil, is still very new and has not actually gotten any films into production yet!  So the waters are somewhat untested.  But Shantaram, one of Infinitum Nihil's first if not THE first, which will star Johnny and will start filming in January, sounds like it has a pretty big production budget- they'll be doing a lot of the filming on location in India.

As for another Pirates movie, bite your tongue  ;D  Just kidding- while I love the Pirates films, I am a little concerned about overkill and the fact that they've already taken up so much of Johnny's time- I'd rather see him do a variety of things (like DS)!  Yet, after seeing At World's End, I found myself thinking that a sequel with Captain Jack and Barbossa might be fun, after all!  But I hope it doesn't happen for quite a few years.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #121 on: September 14, 2007, 08:24:44 PM »
Oh, according to Box Office Mojo, The Libertine's widest release was 819 theaters- a little more than I thought.  It wasn't out for long, though- a little over a month.  Info here:
Quote from: madscntst
http://www.boxofficemojo.com/people/chart/?id=johnnydepp.htm
(Click The Libertine)

Offline Brandon Collins

• Senior Poster
  • You have a secret, Mr. Collins.
    • View Profile
    • The Rebel
« Reply #122 on: September 15, 2007, 03:42:11 AM »
I, for one, would NOT want  the proposed DS movie and Pirates 4 playing at the same time at the theaters. Don't ask me why, because I do like the Pirates movies (though I'm not boo-koo about them), but for some reason that thought just leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I think DS needs to be released in the fall season, September or October. It's a very "fall film", I think.
Brandon Collins

http://rebellionbegins.blogspot.com

Twitter: @AwesomeBran

Offline MsCriseyde

• Senior Poster
  • Even the name reeks of Ohrbach's!
    • View Profile
    • Criseyde's David Selby Site
« Reply #123 on: September 15, 2007, 03:50:24 AM »
I, for one, would NOT want  the proposed DS movie and Pirates 4 playing at the same time at the theaters.
Usually, the studios will work it out so that films that star the same actor don't compete with each other in the theaters. It's not beneficial to the actor or to the studios.

Dark Shadows Alumni Movies (Includes a DS News page.)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 22, 2007, 06:14:20 PM »
Nothing earth shattering in terms of news but I thought I pass on this DS movie reference.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117972463.html?categoryId=30&cs=1

Offline michael c

• DSF God
  • mr.collins i'm fed up with this nonsense!
    • View Profile
a new reference
« Reply #125 on: September 27, 2007, 09:03:19 PM »
i have been visiting my mother in portland maine and she gets a magazine called "portland:maine's city magazine".

there is a small article in the october issue about the new johnny depp project.

titled "maine at first bite"...

"how would you like johnny depp to bite your neck?well,the opportunity may be closer than you think.rumor has it that he's about to step into the cape of barnabas collins in the motion picture version of the 1960s television saga dark shadows.the show revolves around the comings and goings of vampires,werewolves,and ghouls in fictional collinsport,maine.the tentative release date of 2010 will give you plenty of time to catch up on the reruns.find the complete collection at amazon.com or netflix."

sleep 'til noon and your punishment shall be the dregs of the coffeepot.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 13, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
Write-up courtesy of jimbo:

Thanks, jimbo.  [hall2_smiley]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 14, 2007, 03:57:25 AM »
Thanks MB for formatting the article and photo. You did a great job. Nice surgery. I can barely operate a scanner. lol I like the photo they choosed, very Barnabas like, without the sunglasses of course. I can defintely see Depp playing Barnabas.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 14, 2007, 04:01:12 PM »
Another Dark Shadows reference/vampires article.

http://www.mercurynews.com/tv/ci_7176860?nclick_check=1

David

« Reply #129 on: October 14, 2007, 04:41:59 PM »
 [candle_in_skull_2] [female_skull]

I just saw the trailer for Tim Burton's Sweeney Todd with Depp.
It looks like a creepy, Gothic nightmare!
Let's hope that Burton does do the DS movie!

David

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: October 14, 2007, 06:13:47 PM »
Thanks for the link, jimbo!  (The article, too.)  For some reason the site eventually brought up the article without making me register.   [hall2_cheesy]  Speaking of being "bitten by the vampire craze," while the Depp announcement opened the possibility of my teen daughter embracing Barnabas Collins, I'd say she has definitely been bitten thanks to the Stephenie Meyer novels.  My local Barnes & Noble has them stacked high on tables, wow.

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 14, 2007, 06:20:29 PM »

Oh, it looks FABULOUS.

http://www.sweeneytoddmovie.com/ ... View the Trailer

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 14, 2007, 06:46:55 PM »
Thanks for the link, jimbo!  (The article, too.)  For some reason the site eventually brought up the article without making me register.   [hall2_cheesy]  Speaking of being "bitten by the vampire craze," while the Depp announcement opened the possibility of my teen daughter embracing Barnabas Collins, I'd say she has definitely been bitten thanks to the Stephenie Meyer novels.  My local Barnes & Noble has them stacked high on tables, wow.

Hi Midnite-my pleasure. Sorry for the floating link. lol I just tried the link and it too brought me to the sign in page. But I tried it again and then it brought me to the article's page-it's like it's stuck in parallel time lol Glad your daughter will embrace Dark Shadows-DS has opened up so many doors to new fans and writers. Thanks for the Sweeney Todd trailer-I saw the preview last night and there was absolutely no reaction from the audience-I think they had no idea what type of movie it will be. We shall see. I will see it of course and I hope others will see it too.

RachelDrummand

« Reply #133 on: October 14, 2007, 09:29:24 PM »
Loving Depp as a potential Barnabas...Burton...maybe. I'm afraid he'd Burtonize it though and not stay true to DC's vision.

Offline retzev

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2007, 07:20:41 AM »

Oh, it looks FABULOUS.

http://www.sweeneytoddmovie.com/ ... View the Trailer

I agree, Midnight. Sweeny Todd looks killer. Depp is so goood, tailor made for these types of roles.

But...

Loving Depp as a potential Barnabas...Burton...maybe. I'm afraid he'd Burtonize it though and not stay true to DC's vision.

I get the same feeling, RD. Burton is great, but I'm afraid his hand would be too heavy.

I think I'd rather the new director stay true to Curtis's basic outlines/ideas rather than his vision in total. To walk such a fine line will take a rare talent, but I hold out hope that one will come along. Maybe Depp himself is the man for the job - ?
"If you've lived a good life and said your prayers every night, when you die you'll go to Collinwood."  - Mark Rainey