Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447240 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1155 on: December 13, 2009, 09:42:42 PM »
Thanks MB for the link and post.
It seems this part from the WGA Screen Credits Manual is applicable: "The Minimum Basic Agreement provides that, when more than one writer has participated in the writing of a motion picture, then all participants have the right to agree unanimously among themselves as to which of them shall receive writing credits on the screen and in what form, provided that the form agreed upon is in accordance with the terms of Theatrical Schedule A of the Minimum Basic Agreement, and provided the agreement is reached in advance of arbitration. The Minimum Basic Agreement also provides that the form of such credit shall not be suggested or directed by the Company".

It gets more involved if there are disputes.

John August said today at his website that he is currently writing Frankenweenie. It seems you just can't believe everything a producer or studio says  because one article several months ago said Frankenweenie was in production.

I do hope the DS screenplay will be mind blowing and worth the wait and will give Depp and Burton plenty of opportunity to be creative as possible. I do hope that the movie starts filming next fall but Warner Bros. hasn't said anything to that effect.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: December 19, 2009, 01:28:21 AM »
It appears that Depp is possibly back in the Don Quixote movie to be filmed next year as well.

http://www.firstshowing.net/2009/12/18/terry-gilliam-now-says-johnny-depp-will-be-back-in-don-quixote/

Offline Robot_Quentin

• Senior Poster
  • Born during episode #566...... For Real!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: December 19, 2009, 10:35:55 AM »
There's a really great documentary about the first attempt to make the Don Quixote movie with Depp by director Gilliam called Lost in La Mancha. The original film (The Man Who Killed Don Quixote) was plagued from the start with every problem imaginable. I wonder if footage from the original movie would be used to complete the new project. Supposedly it lost a record $15 million since the film was never finished and couldn't earn any money. Quite a unique peek into how Depp has to "get into" the material to play his roles. Hopefully he'll do the same for the DS. I'm sure he will.
Robot_Quentin: "I've never watched the last episode, so the show never ended for me."

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1158 on: December 20, 2009, 12:45:47 AM »
I have heard so much about the documentary. I would definitely like to see this documentary. I have to admit Gilliam is a very persistent individual. Good for him. And Depp seems to be very loyal to him.
I just can't wait until DS starts production. It will be fun to talk about its casting. There will be many lively debates here.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1159 on: December 20, 2009, 04:49:38 AM »
I am puzzled by Gilliam's recent quote, and I wonder whether either 1) he misheard the question, or 2) Paste misheard the answer, because I also saw another very recent interview, recent enough to mention Robert Duvall cast as Don Quixote, where Gilliam said something like "now that Johnny is out of the picture." (sorry, I don't recall exactly where I saw it).  I have to confess that I really hope Johnny doesn't do it- it might've been great 10 years ago, but I think that ship has sailed.  Gilliam can be brilliant (I loved Brazil, 12 Monkeys, and several others of his films) but sometimes his stuff is a little much for me.  Johnny did some of his best acting in Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas, but it's a little tough for me to get through the film.  I recently saw The Imaginarium Of Doctor Parnassus at a film festival here in Maryland, and it was a very interesting and promising film with beautiful visuals, but it didn't totally succeed IMHO (I'm glad I saw it, though, and hope to perhaps catch it again when it's in theaters).  Good point jimbo that Johnny is very loyal to many people he's worked closely with, so you never know.  I would also love for Johnny to work with Robert Duvall, but this isn't a project I'd choose for them (hmm, who could Duvall play in Dark Shadows??  [8_2_74]

I agree, Robot_Quentin, that Lost In La Mancha is a great and somewhat surreal film.  jimbo, if you find it to rent, see if you can get the 2 disc version- it has some extras including a 20 min. interview with Johnny from a couple of years later.  He tells some funny stories, including about the hail storm, and the fact that he and his longtime partner, French actress/singer Vanessa Paradis, really had misgivings about acting together (and still never have, except for a couple of music videos).

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: December 20, 2009, 11:57:16 PM »
That is an interesting development if JD is actually back in Don Quixote. Maybe JD is getting frustrated with Disney over how Pirates 4 is progressing because it seems to me that JD would like to work his other films around Pirates due to the longer filming time. I don't think Gilliam is the spinning type. He seems to be very specific with his responses. 2010 is almost here so you would think we will be hearing something soon on all of these films JD is working on but I sound like a broken record. lol

Madscntst thanks too for the heads up on Lost In La Mancha 2 disc set recommendation. Hope to see it soon.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: December 23, 2009, 10:22:54 PM »
As many posters here stated, it is good that the DS producers are very protective of the script and don't want any leakage to the media like in this case below.

This linked site purports to have the Lone Ranger new movie script in its possession and provided its readers with a detailed analsis which to me spoils all the fun. If it is the script which I am hoping it isn't the review has many obvious spoilers.

Complete Story Details from Walt Disney Pictures' and Jerry Bruckheimer's THE LONE RANGER Adaptation

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: December 26, 2009, 06:06:29 PM »
New article that provides reasons why we should be excited about the Dark Shadows movie:

http://www.fearnet.com/news/b17814_4_reasons_get_excited_burton_depps_dark.html

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: December 26, 2009, 06:20:20 PM »
Very nice article, jimbo - thanks for sharing the link.  [santa_smiley]

Offline Zahir

• Full Poster
  • I Love DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: December 27, 2009, 03:21:49 AM »
A very nice and fun link indeed, but I suspect the writer has forgotten some details.  While in Twilight someone does indeed through themselves from a cliff, that is a sport.  That character even survived.  Not so the various individuals who took the plunge off Widow's Hill...!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: January 11, 2010, 01:50:56 PM »
Wonder how Tim's version of Widows's Hill will look like.

Costume Designer Colleen Atwood has stated that she will be working on the new DS movie.

http://www.wwd.com/footwear-news/insider-nine-lives-etnies-neighbors-2407346?gnewsid=e0ee12b4e5516cb75c6b41206f5c9e56

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: January 11, 2010, 05:32:29 PM »
Interesting. Thanks for the link.  [snow_smiley]

Perhaps the outfit we first see Carolyn in might look like the one Kate Hudson is wearing in the photo? Perfect for dancing at the Blue Whale, if you ask me.  [snow_laugh]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1167 on: January 12, 2010, 02:42:04 AM »
LOL, MB  [snow_cheesy]  We Depp fans consider Ms. Atwood to be a goddess, so this is really great news for us.  She has been involved in many of Depp's (as well as Burton's) movies- take a look at her filmography:

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0041181/

I loved how Johnny looked as Ichabod Crane in Sleepy Hollow, so I'd be thrilled with anything she comes up with for Barnabas, for any and all periods of time! 

Cathy

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1168 on: January 17, 2010, 01:12:37 AM »
FYI, it's the smallest of mentions, and Johnny doesn't even name the film as DS.  But for what it's worth, Johnny mentioned that he'd be working on another Tim Burton film, during a press conference at a film festival he attended in Serbia this past week.  You can watch the whole press conference here- it's 40 min.
http://www.webtv.rs/?cid=11920
But at about the 4 min. mark, someone asks him what is new on the horizon, and he replies, "There's some work to be done this year... I start a couple of films... another with Tim Burton" then goes on to talk about the following year, working on Pancho Villa with Emir Kusturica.  Considering that Kusturica is the host of the film festival and sitting next to him as he is speaking, of course he is going to spend more time talking about that film.  That said, even though I wish he would've elaborated a bit more, I'm really glad to hear the mention.  I'm hoping that there will be more info coming when they start doing press for Alice In Wonderland, which should be starting pretty soon  [snow_smiley]

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: January 17, 2010, 01:22:50 AM »
Thanks for the link.  [snow_smiley]

Interesting that Depp refers to "a couple of films." We know his next is The Tourist with Angelina Jolie (British film fans get their wish to see them work together ;)) and in the video he talks about working with Burton, which is the DS film. I wonder what happened to the 4th Pirates film? But then, it seemed as if Disney was the only party that was sure that film was a go for 2010 because Depp repeatedly remarked that everything was contingent on the script...