Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447667 times)

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1095 on: September 19, 2009, 05:38:46 AM »
I've really enjoyed reading these past few posts on this issue.  I don't think the delay is a plot to drive us crazy.  The movie will happen when it's right for all those involved and not before.  I plan on still being here God willing and the creek don't rise. [ghost_tongue2]

Nancy

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: September 19, 2009, 04:24:03 PM »
Thanks Madscntst for posting those two articles. What a wacky industry.  How does one keep their sanity living under these changes day to day. Depp seems to be a very loyal individual so it will be interesting to see if he will do Pirates 4 in light of what just happened and that he does not have a contract in place for said movie-although he may have an obligation to Pirates fans(?). Or perhaps Johnny could feasibly delay shooting the Pirates movie as a sort of showing of respect for Cook and blame the delay on the script not to his liking.

I too Nancy plan on being here to see the DS movie. I just hope I don't run out of my sedatives by then. jk

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1097 on: September 19, 2009, 05:42:31 PM »
Wow. And from his interview it does seem as if there could be a possibility that Depp might not do Pirates 4 unless the script is right. Wow...

Ironically, when Johnny appeared at the Disney D23 Expo last week, he was introduced by Dick Cook, and he came out all decked out in his Captain Jack Sparrow costume.  We all feel he did the dress-up bit for Dick Cook's sake (as he's done a couple of times before, too- he isn't usually one to do cheesy promotions but I do think he's especially loyal to Cook as well as to Captain Jack), and they had a huge embrace on stage and both looked very happy to be promoting the film.  So, for one thing, if this wasn't very sudden, Cook was extremely good at hiding anything that might've been wrong.  For another thing, the appearance itself, as well as the announcement of Pirates 4's title and release date, sure made this all seem 100% solid.  Surely Johnny would only agree to do the film if he liked the script, but in light of the Expo, I assumed that the part about approving the script was now over with.  I'm not sure if the LA Times may be embellishing things a little, because I don't see anything in Johnny's own words that make it sound like he's still waiting to approve the script.  But it's possible.

I still don't really expect that Johnny would back out of the film.  He's also pretty friendly and loyal to Jerry Bruckheimer (the "shark", in my words  [ghost_grin] ) and he does dearly love the character.  But if Cook's departure causes a huge shakeup within Disney, then who knows how that may influence their projects- some of us Depp fans are wondering.  It may depend on who Cook's replacement is.  

At any rate, either way, I don't *think* that this turn of events would have any impact on DS, no matter how things shake out.  But at the moment, I'm glad that Disney doesn't have anything to do with DS  [ghost_smiley]

Cathy

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: September 19, 2009, 07:08:03 PM »
At any rate, either way, I don't *think* that this turn of events would have any impact on DS, no matter how things shake out.

I don't think so either. The Depp/DS film is delayed because Burton is so busy with his projects. Though it would be interesting if the changes at Disney somehow affect Frankenweenie...

But at the moment, I'm glad that Disney doesn't have anything to do with DS  [ghost_smiley]

Definitely!

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: September 21, 2009, 05:37:43 PM »
Just an update on Frankenweenie. It seems that the movie is in production already although I don't know if Tim is actually working on it since he is working on Alice around the clock. See #5

http://scifiwire.com/2009/09/frankenweenie-is-coming-5.php

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: September 21, 2009, 05:43:18 PM »
That's why some of us have elected to not work full-time in the industry anymore.  You can get burned out.

What a wacky industry.  How does one keep their sanity living under these changes day to day.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 21, 2009, 06:25:33 PM »
Nancy just "reading" about how the industry works I can only imagine what actually goes in Hollywood and the industry in total.

I just noticed I misspelled cousin Madscntst's' name in my last post. My apologies

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 21, 2009, 06:41:11 PM »
I added the missing 'd', jimbo.  [ghost_smiley]  Don't you hate it when your fingers type something different from what your mind expected them to?  [ghost_wacko]

But back on topic, it's interesting that Frankenweenie is already in production. Though, as I mentioned the other day, everything is already in place for it, so I suppose it shouldn't be all that surprising. And the good thing about it already being in production and going concurrently with Alice in Wonderland is that Burton may presumably have more time to prepare the Depp/DS movie once he finishes Alice in Wonderland and Frankenweenie. And if Depp doesn't do Pirates 4... But let's not jump the gun.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 21, 2009, 06:44:57 PM »
My end of it was far less chaotic but too much juggling and changes has burned me out.  I've made substantial changes in what I do in my spare time and professionally as a result.  That said, I'm sure the realities of how Hollywood works doesn't help it when you are anxious for a movie to made.

Nancy

Nancy just "reading" about how the industry works I can only imagine what actually goes in Hollywood and the industry in total.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 21, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
Thanks MB for correcting my typo. Yes it is very frustrating when that happens. I am going to blame my keyboard because I am having trouble typing on FB-you have to be perfect there-a very unforgiving website-of course I could also blame my eyes lol

From what I am reading it seems Depp only has an oral agreement with Disney on Pirates 4 and that is contingent upon script approval as previously discussed here. I just doubt that Depp will ditch the project but he can certainly delay it if he feels the script is not up to his liking. Things could get interesting if Pirates is delayed or ditched completely. I am hoping that since TB has supposedly mastered the "experimental" techniques that Frankenweenie could possibly be completed by early next year. Is it possible that TB could work on Frankenweenie and DS at the same time especially if TB needs more time on Frankenweenie?

Nancy it is frustrating to see the movie slowly develop.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 23, 2009, 11:53:31 PM »
Variety published an article on Depp's agent's representation and mentions the DS movie project.

http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118009068.html?categoryid=18&cs=1

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: September 24, 2009, 02:33:54 AM »
Nancy it is frustrating to see the movie slowly develop.

Take long, deep breaths, Jimbo.  Mix that up with long, soothing hot baths with Thymes brand of essential oils including rosemary.  Inhale deeply and the gods will hear your plea to get a move on the movie. [ghost_tongue2] [ghost_tongue2]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 24, 2009, 12:52:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Nancy. It sounds very tempting. Normally when people tell me to take a long deep breath it's not a good thing. jk I am confident we will be receiving some news soon.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 25, 2009, 03:29:27 AM »
It appears based on this article that Johnny may be filming Pirates 4 but not parts 5 and 6. Does this make any sense all around? Why would Depp act in the 4th movie and then have Disney replace him in the sequels? I think things are still way up in the air.

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Exclusive-Why-Pirates-4-Will-Be-Johnny-Depp-s-Last-14918.html

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 28, 2009, 08:35:12 AM »
The other night I was watching Rob Zombie's first Halloween movie remake and it had me thinking. What would the new DS movie be like if Rob Zombie is the director?

You have to wonder.