Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 447173 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1035 on: August 20, 2009, 12:40:07 AM »
I just got hold of the printed ShadowGram issues 115/116 which was published several weeks ago I believe. On page 4 it states, "SG is asked to report," ""The script is being finalized in coming weeks and filming is expected to commence in early 2010"".

I understand that movie scripts may have several or many drafts ie... 1st Draft, 2nd Draft etc... Are we at the point where John August is finishing his 1st draft or are we passed that stage and JA is working on what would be a completed shooting script? If I was fully awake at Marcy's early morning discussion panel I would have asked that question as she also brought that matter up there. Secondly, it indicated filming is expected to begin in early 2010. That leads me to believe that DS will be shooting before Pirates 4 which was suppose to shoot before DS as was indicated in the media.

btw also on page 4 is a painting of Depp, Frid, Cross and Newman by George Pitcher which was taken from Film Fantasy Magazine Summer'09. Not a bad painting although Depp as Barnabas could have been more accurate. Wouldn't mind getting hold of a lithograph of the 4 Barnabas'.

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1036 on: August 20, 2009, 04:18:15 PM »
I recently read a remark from Depp about how, while sitting in the audience for one of his nominations, both he and Vanessa felt so uncomfortable being at the ceremony that they couldn't wait to get out of the theater - and he was quite happy that he didn't win. Quite a refreshing change from the actors who seem to be completely obsessed with winning awards at all costs.

I hope this isn't getting too off-topic but here's an Entertainment Weekly piece on "Johnny Depp: 12 Hot Sound Bites" where some of the quotes illustrate Johnny's mindset and why he chooses certain roles.  In particular, #6 mentions box office success or lack thereof (The Astronaut's Wife was a pretty bad movie, by the way  [ghost_wink] ) and #12 is the one about getting up and speaking in front of people  [ghost_smiley]

Johnny Depp: 12 Hot Sound Bites

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1037 on: August 20, 2009, 09:41:53 PM »
This publication has been producing various DS articles of late. This one discuses if DS will hurt Depp's chances for an Oscar.

http://www.examiner.com/x-1994-LA-Celebrity-Headlines-Examiner~y2009m8d20-Johnny-Depps-taking-on-Dark-Shadows-does-this-hurt-him-as-an-Oscar-candidate

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1038 on: August 23, 2009, 12:44:21 AM »
Don't know where they got that there will be at least 3 DS movies but I like it but it is flawed.
http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/122236/Johnny-is-set-to-join-the-undead

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1039 on: August 23, 2009, 12:52:02 AM »
We should be so lucky that Depp and Burton make at least three DS movies!  [cheers]  But considering how long this first one is taking to get made, let's just hope that by the time the third one rolls around Depp isn't so old that he won't need make-up to play Barn after he's reverted to his true age due to Julia's failed experiment to cure him!  [lghy]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1040 on: August 23, 2009, 01:09:12 AM »
Very true MB. lol If true maybe they can film 2 movies at a time. Then we will have four and call it a day. jk I don't know how accurate the source is especially in light of how they reflected the number of episodes filmed but it is consistent with what Jim Pierson has been saying about how WB would like to make a movie franchise out of DS. I just don't know how available Tim Burton and JD will be in the next 5 years or so. We certainly don't want Depp to age that badly. lol

MirandaD

« Reply #1041 on: August 23, 2009, 06:15:50 AM »
Thanks for the link jimbo.  I've seen references a few times about a "franchise" for DS.  I really think everything depends on how well the first film does - it's not like they're doing a "Lord of the Rings" (in which all 3 films were made back-to-back before the first was released).

Offline joe integlia

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
    • joes gallery of DS photos
« Reply #1042 on: August 23, 2009, 06:18:53 PM »
the article is definately "flawed" because it states that ds ran for 14 years and 594 episodes!

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1043 on: August 23, 2009, 07:16:37 PM »
Sadly, there aren't very many DS articles that aren't flawed in some way or another.  [ghost_sad]

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1044 on: August 25, 2009, 05:29:22 AM »
Luckily Depp is aging well.  He could possibly play Barney until he is 50 and maybe after that!  Who knows! :)  No offense but Jonathan looked much older that middle fourties to me!
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1045 on: August 31, 2009, 02:24:54 AM »
a painting of Depp, Frid, Cross and Newman by George Pitcher which was taken from Film Fantasy Magazine Summer'09. Not a bad painting although Depp as Barnabas could have been more accurate. Wouldn't mind getting hold of a lithograph of the 4 Barnabas'.

I haven't seen the ShadowGram issue, but something tells me that my scan from the magazine (it's from one of its collector's editions called "Life Story") might be clearer.

From what jimbo says, I'm guessing that the other artist's image wasn't included.  I think the likeness is better, but to quote my daughter, "What's up with the moustache?"

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1046 on: August 31, 2009, 02:47:31 AM »
Wow - the B&W of Depp barely looks like him.  [ghost_huh]

As for the mustache, well, Depp seems very fond of wearing one in real life, so you never know. Maybe we should start preparing ourselves for the idea of Depp's Barn with one.  [ghost_undecided]

Thanks for the scan.  [ghost_smiley]

Offline madscntst

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
    • Johnny Depp Rocks!
« Reply #1047 on: August 31, 2009, 03:42:32 AM »
Thanks for scanning that, Midnite!  Yes, it looks a bit clearer than the Shadowgram, which I have right in front of me.  The other pic looks cool, and you're correct that it was not included in Shadowgram.

As to the other pic, I don't think it looks much like Johnny, either, but a friend and fellow Depp fan with a good eye thought that it might've been inspired by this old photo taken by photographer Henny Garfunkel in around '90 or '91:

There still seems something a bit off, though.  I think the likenesses of the other 3 Barns are great, though!

Cathy

Offline Cousin_Barnabas

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1048 on: August 31, 2009, 05:14:01 AM »
Just say 'no' to the stache!  Is he playing Barnabas or Nicholas?   [ghost_cheesy] 

Seriously, the picture with the mustache makes him look like Satan or (Bram Stoker's) Dracula.  I sort of like it, but NOT for Barnabas.  Good thing mustaches weren't in style in the late 18th century.   [ghost_wink]

MirandaD

« Reply #1049 on: August 31, 2009, 05:22:06 AM »
Well let's face it - Johnny Depp looks as much like Jonathan Frid did while playing Barn as I do, which basically is not at all!  Hopefully, Johnny will be able to successfully portray the character through his acting chops.  If he can do that, I'll be delighted.