Author Topic: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp  (Read 449999 times)

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
Re: It's official: Dark Shadows returns as a film with Johnny Depp
« Reply #1005 on: July 24, 2009, 04:49:40 AM »
Hi MirandaD and thank you MB. I was aware of the fact that Pirates was jockeying to beat out DS. But the fact that Pirates 4 may shoot before the DS movie makes my blood boil. DS has been two years in the making and now with a completed script, and Pirates 4 without a script and director somehow has pulled in front of the DS movie. If this is the case then its just disgraceful in my opinion. Tim Burton would have then single handily delayed the DS movie for over a year and a half. I realize that things often change in the movie industry. If this is the case here, Tim Burton should have asked to pull out of the DS movie and JD being any good producer should have honored his request. There are other visionary directors out there. I understand the relationship between TB and JD but JD needed to act as an independently competant producer. I said it way back that it was not imperative that TB be the director for the DS movie. It's no wonder that we have yet to hear from WB because they don't know themselves when Tim Burton will have completed his beloved Alice movie. I am all for TB to fulfill his dream project but not at the cost of the DS fans. TB just admitted that he has not had the time to even think about Dark Shadows or what direction he may take it in. Amazing. I am still keeping hope that TB and JD will do the right thing as DS is deserving of better treatment. If people are ok with waiting another year for TB to get his act together I respect that. I just don't agree with it.

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: July 24, 2009, 04:57:28 AM »
Tim Burton would have then single handily delayed the DS movie for over a year and a half.

Well, think of it this way - originally Burton was going to do both Alice In Wonderland and Frankenweenie before doing the Depp/DS film. At least DS got moved up to Burton's next film after AIW.  [ghost_wink]

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: July 24, 2009, 05:07:38 AM »
That may or may not be totally true. In either event can a person guarantee that when Tim is finally ready to direct the DS movie that JD will be available? It now has been said that DS is Tim's next shooting movie but it doesn't say that it will be JD's next shooting movie. In either event its been a disturbing turn of events if this holds up to be the case.

Offline Darren Gross

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: July 25, 2009, 08:03:35 PM »
I just hope it will be shot in 3-D.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: July 26, 2009, 04:05:30 AM »
Dark Shadows in 3-D? Anything is possible-there is no end to his imagination.

At the end of this brief interview at SDCC, Tim Burton was asked if he would be working on Alice right up to the movie's March deadline and he responded, "oh yeah, oh yeah" and joked that he should be leaving immediately to begin working on the film again. If that is true we also have to factor in that TB and JD will spend several weeks promoting the film so that brings us to the middle of April or so. I now don't see TB wanting to start the DS movie in April because he admitted that he won't be able to even think about DS until he finished Alice. I guess TB could have given his blessing to JD for him to start Pirates 4 first because TB needs several months to come up with an idea on how to approach filming DS. Speculation of course but it could be one reason of several why Pirates 4 may be starting filming before DS.

http://media.movies.ign.com/media/142/14219277/vids_1.html

MirandaD

« Reply #1010 on: July 26, 2009, 05:46:11 AM »
Good catch jimbo!  Thanks for bringing this over..

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: July 26, 2009, 05:32:06 PM »
Thanks MirandaD. The Los Angeles Times also interviewed Tim Burton at the SDCC and this is what he had to say about the DS movie:

G.M.: You've talked about doing "Dark Shadows" next. Is that still the plan?

T.B.: I think so, yes. That's the plan. There was something very weird about that, it had the weirdest vibe to it. I'm sort of intrigued about that vibe. It's early days on it, but I'm excited about it.

Statements like "I think so", "it's early on it" you get the impression that the movie may not even get filmed in 2010 and is a far cry from the producers of the Pirates 4 movie who reflect a higher degree of confidence in it's project. I am excited that Tim is  excited about the DS movie. If he could only back his words up with action.

Tim also addresses the vampire craze.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/herocomplex/2009/07/tim-burton-on-dark-shadows-alice-in-wonderland-and-9-part-two.html

Offline Taeylor Collins

• The Guardian of Grayson's Shadows
  • DSF God
  • "Is he for real?" Julia Hoffman
    • View Profile
    • Facebook Page!
« Reply #1012 on: July 27, 2009, 10:22:42 PM »
I can't seem to find my post.  However, I thought I refelected on the fact that DS is taking time.  I am really cool with that.  The pilot was rushed and turned out half good and half bad.  I want this to have a perfect script, director and perfectly cast!

Just my two cents!  I can wait for a while! Although it's torture at times! [ghost_wacko]
If you like DS and want to have a fun  on a Facebook page that is open to all forms of DS and doesn't allow childish behavior like some groups; come on over to DIAESD! You do have to ask to be invited and I will approve you.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/106113906083853/

Offline tragic bat

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: July 27, 2009, 10:50:21 PM »
Tim Burton would have then single handily delayed the DS movie for over a year and a half.

I disagree with the hostile tone you take towards Tim Burton.  I don't think Pirates is his fault at all, as that is a project of Depp's only, and ultimately, Burton has no obligation (except contractual with some companies) to finish any film within a certain time frame, and I'm sure it isn't all his fault either that Alice is taking longer than he imagined.  It is really better to just be patient - one day the film will be out and I'm sure it will at least be interesting to see what it turns out to be; attacking Tim Burton now won't make anything go faster.
“You could have devoted your life to a serious study of the occult instead of just being some freak who can tell the future!”--RT 1970 Roxanne.

Offline jimbo

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: July 27, 2009, 11:31:23 PM »
tragic bat you are certainly entitled to your opinion as I am. I stand by my posts 100% and I am not going to repeat my posts here because they are all self explanatory. They are what they are.  If I choose to be impatient with the DS project well I am entitled to feel that way. Tim Burton has negatively impacted the DS movie's development and that is indisputable. I am merely criticizing TB inactions here and I am in no way attacking him. If you think I am attacking him clearly you have not read all my posts on Tim Burton.

Offline Joeytrom

• Senior Poster
    • View Profile

Offline Mysterious Benefactor

• Systems Manager /
  • Administrator
  • NEW SUPERNAL SCEPTER
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: July 31, 2009, 04:27:21 AM »
I feel so dirty after having gone there to read the post. But then, I suppose that just proves I'll go anywhere to read about DS.  [ghost_grin]  However, I do love that he thinks having posted about Burton's involvement last December was akin to breaking the news or something, but we've known unofficially of Burton's involvement since January '08 - and officially since June '08. Though considering the type of stories that site is more known for, I guess it's easy to see how the news of Burton's involvement with the Depp/DS film could have gone overlooked for longer than it was at most other sites.  [ghost_wink]

Offline Nancy

• Senior Poster
  • Only my freckles hold me together.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: July 31, 2009, 04:36:58 AM »
I think most of us have been in a situation where we wanted to start one project but scheduling conflicts and other issues prevented the project from going forward.  It might help to remember that TB and JD's schedules are not the only ones to be considered when putting together the cast and crew for DS or any film TB and JD are working on together or individually.  Directors tend to want to work with the same crew and things of that nature which doesn't normally get discussed during interviews but delays do happen because a director can't get the team he wants/needs for a specific project.  It's a fickle business and scheduling and casting are equally fickle.  I personally think enough has been squeezed out of the Pirates franchise but that's just me. [ghost_tongue]

I want Burton to have what he wants in place in place when he is ready to film "Dark Shadows."  If that takes one year, two or three, so be it.    [ghost_wub]

nancy

I thought I refelected on the fact that DS is taking time.  I am really cool with that.  The pilot was rushed and turned out half good and half bad.  I want this to have a perfect script, director and perfectly cast!

Offline Midnite

• Exec Moderator /
  • Administrator
  • SENIOR ASCENDANT
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: July 31, 2009, 05:52:31 AM »
I can't seem to find my post.  However, I thought I refelected on the fact that DS is taking time ...

This one?--
As much as I want the DS movie to come out. ...

Offline Doug

• Full Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: July 31, 2009, 06:45:02 AM »
I think it is crazy for Disney to make a Pirates 4. I'll bet it won't do as well as the first three. But I remember reading somewhere last year that filming DS was suppose to start this summer in London. What happened? Did Alice took too long to complete?